Notices

Class of September 2015

Old 09-09-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone. One week sober today! I really needed this boost. Tuesday nights had become a big drinking night for me because the house is empty. But I made it through. I had a list of things to accomplish and I stuck to that. I might start looking for an exercise or other class for that night. Hope everyone is having a good day so far.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome mc and Juno and JL and anyone I've missed

If there's one thing I want to pass on, it's that change - lasting change - really is possible
It all comes down to what we're prepared to do to make that change happen...

D
Thank you for that truth Dee -
Watched my brother circle the drain all weekend, and it was rough, but it was a front row seat to the rest of my life if I don't abstain totally from drinking. Tapering and moderation won't do it.
Read AVRT again at about midnight last night. Got a resource list to read now, to remind me why I'm not to drink.
Day 1 of 3.
Can't wait to get off, home and on the treadmill.
Thankful to be sober today !
Old 09-09-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good morning. This is my third try at quitting in the last six months. I never last more than two weeks.... Last run lasted only four days. But today is a new day and a new day one. Got to start somewhere, right? I feel worse about my apparent inability to quit than I do about my 2-3 glass of wine a day habit. It is 4am and I lie here beating myself up over last nights poor choices.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good morning. Doing my best to make this day 1.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentSearch View Post
Good morning. Doing my best to make this day 1.
Me too! check in lots - let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Thanks segCurly. I hope we succeed together!
Old 09-09-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning - day 3 for me. For all who felt tired yesterday on Day 2, that was me as well. I'm looking forward to a slightly easier day today than yesterday and even have yoga on my schedule for tonight, which is always a treat . I had to do the dreaded grocery shopping last night but at least we have food today

Like Midton said, it's not a huge accomplishment for me to get to Day 3 because I would always have several days between binges anyway. What is different for me this time is doing this with a group instead of alone. I'm definitely excited about that because I think it's the extra push I needed to make it through the woods this time. I like thinking about where this is going and where I'm headed, and that real change is possible.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 10

So many mini revelations each day. Today was rough going to work with my headache and stomach issues unsolved, but I did it and it was pretty nice. Beautiful walk at lunch. Gorgeous fall weather coming it. Perfect.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: being sober is a trip man. Everything feels hyper real.

I hit a lot of euphoric moments during the day when I come out of my fog and realize, hey, I'm not hungover and I don't need a drink or even want one, and I can go home tonight and do whatever I want. Sleep. Walk. Exercise. Its my choice.

Its pretty cool.

I had a brief moment where I wanted a beer after meeting my friend and walking home then I laughed away the idea. Why? To ruin my goodnights sleep? For what?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me today, I don't think I had cravings for a drink last night but I certainly felt a void, I ate 2 ice pops and a packet of boiled sweets, it passed.

I went to bed.

Just enjoyed sweet potato, coconut and chilli soup, it was amaaaaazzzziinnnggg!

I think I'm going to really awaken my taste buds, lol : ))))
Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning September!

It's great to see how many of you are starting to experience the benefits of being sober. It really doesn't take that many days before you start realizing there are many benefits.

I'll be honest. When I quit, I thought I was going one month dry. Just wanted to clear my system out from being drunk every waking moment for 2yrs straight. After a week, I felt much better. After two, I was completely in control. After 3, I couldn't imagine picking up a bottle again. After a month, I decided to remove alcohol from my life for good.

There's simply far too many benefits being sober. I learned to hate alcohol even more as I stayed away from it. It became even more clear just how bad alcohol was destroying my life.

Keep at it. It's not easy at first. But time does go by quick. May not seem like it at the time. All you gotta do is get through that hour or that day. It keeps getting easier and easier.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Good morning - day 3 for me. For all who felt tired yesterday on Day 2, that was me as well. I'm looking forward to a slightly easier day today than yesterday and even have yoga on my schedule for tonight, which is always a treat . I had to do the dreaded grocery shopping last night but at least we have food today

Like Midton said, it's not a huge accomplishment for me to get to Day 3 because I would always have several days between binges anyway. What is different for me this time is doing this with a group instead of alone. I'm definitely excited about that because I think it's the extra push I needed to make it through the woods this time. I like thinking about where this is going and where I'm headed, and that real change is possible.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
You remind me a lot of myself. I'm thankful for your posts.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Day 3.
I'm tired.
Took a 4 day weekend and am dreading heading back to work today.
I've slept more than ever because of this last 3 day binge.
I should have gone to the gym this morning but there wasn't any motivation.
I hate this part and wish it was next week already.
Gonna try to go to a HIIT cycle class tonight to burn off the sluggishness and depression. Not sure I'll make it but I'll try.
Wishing I could crawl back into bed right now.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good Morning, checking in on day 11. I still have a lingering, slight headache, but otherwise I feel fine. I plan on taking a walk around the shopping mall this afternoon.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

On my Day 1. Still hungover
Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredofme View Post
Last night I sat down and really thought about what person I want to be and who I am now there's a vast difference. When I really looked at myself I am not all bad yay but the isolating drinking me as to change i just want to feel content with who I am and be able to deal with stress and switch off from life occasionally in healthy ways.

On my way to work today I bought a little notebook to keep in my bag to write things in like recommended reading, inspiration quotes and just general thoughts ,aspirations and to do lists. I need a way to keep focused.
I relate very much to what you are saying. I think its really important to start literally forming the woman I want to be. Not in a false sense...that's what alcohol does. But in a way that pulls together my beliefs and values and puts them into action. Frankly I believe this is stuff I should have done as a developing early teen, but without any role models or nurturing I just didn't know. A trick I used to use, and am going to employ again, is 'what would a wise woman do?'. I am a reactive, immediate gratification type of person. I don't like that quality. When faced with a dilema or decision, it helps me to stop and ask myself that question. Its the little things
Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good Morning September

No hangover! Enjoying that cup of coffee and some reading. Yard work this AM (fall is coming, yay) and then off to yoga. My daughter is home sick so I'll be planning my schedule around her. Poor kid.
For those of you just starting, don't give up. One moment at a time. Many are talking about exercise and I really do think, when you're feeling well enough, that it helps tremendously. It gives the brain that added hormone release that definitely improves mood and helps the body detox. Even just a short walk, some gardening or some housework. All movement helps. Our brains get dependent on the dopamine rush of alcohol. Without it our moods slump until our brain has had time to adjust...even then it is up and down. The exercise can really help alleviate these mood swings and lessen the likelyhood of relapse. Trust me on that one. And once the habit is established it can help me say no to drinking because I know it will mess up my exercise schedule.
I hope everyone has a great sober day. I'm going to make a concerted effort to be mindful. Really take in each moment for what it is, as opposed to constantly entertaining intruding or negative thoughts. A no shame day!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I relate very much to what you are saying. I think its really important to start literally forming the woman I want to be.
I am struggling hard right now - instead of regretting who I might have been and feeling it's too late to anything other than try to survive - to instead use your sentence. To feel that any age one can make changes, have possibilities to find friends, live well, find good work.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class. I am only on Day 2 but would like to join this group, Hopefully, this will be it
Old 09-09-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

May I join you? I am on day 1.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Welcome half v, and Matilda !