Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's perfectly ok frickaflip
welcome to you and everyone else new here

D
Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Day 2 of no alcohol here, count me in here if that's ok.

Made it to day 8 or 9 last time before having the great idea of "just a few" which turned into a full on blow out (saturday, two days ago). I've been weekend-binging for years now without much of a break, but I can tell this is a dark, eventual path into full on alcoholism if I don't stop, since cravings in general are getting much worse, the amount I end up drinking 90% of the time is just terrifying.

I really want to be totally done with alcohol, instead of dreaming I can "moderate" it (which I'll succeed at a few times before going ballistic with it yet again, usually even more than the time before).
Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Midton - it's great to see you here. We were in a same "class" years ago (I was on SR under a different name). Wasn't quite ready to quit then but am now I can't send a PM until I have 5 posts but will!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Made it home from work without buying wine, I kinda wanted to because I was thinking of my super stressful week ahead, and I wanted to make it go away!
But I shall soldier on sober,and learn to deal with stress and feeling overwhelmed like everyone else in the world that doesn't drink it away.
I'm not exactly sure how yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll find a rhythm.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Juno, look forward to it. From your location I'm sure I know.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I didn't have time to read everything today, but welcome to all of the new folks. Glad for more people. Had a good night watching my Buckeyes start the season. And I will remember it all and no hangover tomorrow (although I will be tired from staying up too late)! Looking forward to hopefully having more time tomorrow to catch up. G'night all!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Day 1.
Loser. Let myself down. No mountain top experience for me. Just a shot at not dying from alcoholism. Runs in my family both sides. What doesnt run in my family is abstinence, health, and I've got chains to break inside myself.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

- realized it's taken 2 yrs to go from any everyday drinker to basically a weekend binger. Change in plans- using AVRT.
- writing down what to focus on for each day ( instead of boss picking on me all day- need my job(a).
- exercise no matter how bad I feel ( pretty low)
- today tue is my Labor Day holiday day for work. Just me and 2 yr old son today, til 6 yr olds school out.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mc and Juno and JL and anyone I've missed

If there's one thing I want to pass on, it's that change - lasting change - really is possible
It all comes down to what we're prepared to do to make that change happen...

D
Old 09-08-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Day 3 tried counting many times before and its not working for me so think this time I won't count days just concentrate on today staying sober and trying to find ways to like myself again.

I been looking at the reading list and don't now where to start can anyone recommend a good easy reading starting book ? Working on my well being needs to be a priority so think I start there and add things as I go along maybe yoga and meditation for instance.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Its day 9 here. I was at home due to my stomach issues. It hit me, as I lazily surfed the net, avoiding my work....my problem isn't alcohol. My problem is me. Now, I am an alcoholic. And I can't drink. Don't get up in arms. But it occured to me that whats in me, my addictive nature, isn't tied to alcohol. What I mean is, getting rid of alcohol is getting rid of one outlet for my problem, but it isn't the root of what ails me. I am a master at avoiding myself and avoiding reality. And while this is a great step in the right direction, it is only the first of many. I really have trouble facing a lot of things in my life. And I am pretty adept at finding new outlets to escape that aren't alcohol. I have to really make sure that accompanying this lifestyle change, is a change in the way I think and act in other areas.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Its day 9 here. I was at home due to my stomach issues. It hit me, as I lazily surfed the net, avoiding my work....my problem isn't alcohol. My problem is me. Now, I am an alcoholic. And I can't drink. Don't get up in arms. But it occured to me that whats in me, my addictive nature, isn't tied to alcohol. What I mean is, getting rid of alcohol is getting rid of one outlet for my problem, but it isn't the root of what ails me. I am a master at avoiding myself and avoiding reality. And while this is a great step in the right direction, it is only the first of many. I really have trouble facing a lot of things in my life. And I am pretty adept at finding new outlets to escape that aren't alcohol. I have to really make sure that accompanying this lifestyle change, is a change in the way I think and act in other areas.
You hit the nail on the head! I thought that my life would be magically better when I finally quit drinking this April. And don't get me wrong, my life is WAY better for me now than when I was drinking daily. But problems that I had with myself are still there, it's just that I am not drinking over them each day. However, by not drinking, I now have better focus and more energy to help work on myself and make me a better person, father, friend , and co worker. Issues that once seemed insurmountable really can be conquered! You can do this!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
This is me too kinzoko I drink to avoid reality just stopping drinking is not going to work because sooner or later I would start again. I have to dig deeper and get to the root of my problems.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Day 1.
Loser. Let myself down. No mountain top experience for me. Just a shot at not dying from alcoholism. Runs in my family both sides. What doesnt run in my family is abstinence, health, and I've got chains to break inside myself.
You get to be a new trendsetter in your family! Overcoming booze is the hardest thing you will ever do but by the same token, it will be the most amazing thing you will ever do. Your kids are young, and you can be an incredible role model for them. You can break the chains.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

May I join your group?

I am a married, 40 year old mother of three, that has been battling alcoholism for a very long time. I had 11 months of sobriety under my belt last March and decided I was ready to drink in moderation. Ya Right! 11 months! A short 4 weeks from having a full year of sobriety. I still shake my head and wonder why I continuously, and repeatedly sabatoge my happiness.
Needless to say I am right back where I was, with no control over my drinking , horrible hangovers and relentless anxiety
So, I'm on day 4 and was wondering if I may join your group?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Welcome kgirl41 glad you joined us and we'll done on day 4
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
I am a married, 40 year old mother of three, that has been battling alcoholism for a very long time. I had 11 months of sobriety under my belt last March and decided I was ready to drink in moderation. Ya Right! 11 months! A short 4 weeks from having a full year of sobriety. I still shake my head and wonder why I continuously, and repeatedly sabatoge my happiness.
Needless to say I am right back where I was, with no control over my drinking , horrible hangovers and relentless anxiety
So, I'm on day 4 and was wondering if I may join your group?
Well kgirl, this is me also. I had several months of sobriety also and tried the moderation route. I was able to do it for a few months, but now am right back where I was last year. I'm on Day 2. We can do this again.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Day 1.
You can do it!! You can, just carry on as if the relapse didn't happen, keep going.
I'm trying AVRT too.
Its taken me 9 months to get from 2 bottles every 2-4 days to 1 bottle over a week or two, its ok.
We can do it
Xoxo
Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Well kgirl, this is me also. I had several months of sobriety also and tried the moderation route. I was able to do it for a few months, but now am right back where I was last year. I'm on Day 2. We can do this again.
I'm glad you two are back!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

You're not a loser. You're an alcoholic. The two aren't synonymous.....although I know how you're feeling. Sometimes it helps me to look at my condition as a delivery system to a better reality. I know, sounds kind of crazy. But it you think about it, many humans go through life miserable. They don't know what's wrong or how to change. I see my addiction as literally forcing me to find a better reality through self discovery. I'm still a work in progress. But I've found that shifting my thinking is very powerful. In the same way negative thinking can wear me down, positive thinking can bring me up. If you notice those with some sobriety, they are generally pretty positive thinkers. And YES exercise. Preparring for my morning yoga. Hang in there.