Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 48

Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Gleefan,
You have a great attitude. Good for you for not losing control. Just ride that wave.

I was fired in feb2012 from a 20yr career. I got lazy and deserved it. First thing I did was buy vodka.

I was an every day drinker up to that point. After that, I became an all day drinker within a week or two. I spent all my money, all my 401k, maxed out all my credit cards before I found a job. I was reckless and drunk all the time.

I would give ANYTHING to redo the last couple years. I made such a huge mess, it's unbelievable.

Drinking did only made things worse. Much much worse. Just don't let that demon into your situation. Talk to hubby and let him know you believe in him. That this was meant to be and that the future will be BETTER than the past.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Thank you Glee! ((Hug))!!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry your husband got laid off Glee. I think for what it's worth you're doing all the right things.

It's ok to feel fear or to think why me or to think all manner of what ifs - we just can't let those thoughts fester.

I hope you find this is one of those ends that is actually a beginning

D
Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Bluefairy I love modern family! One of my top favorite shows. I think I've seen every episode. Cam always makes me laugh.

Glee it's very inspiring to see how you're handling the situation. I hope your husband is able to find another work opportunity soon.

Womp flew by. I was thrown a handful of tasks all at once and got everything done quickly and correctly. Something that def wouldn't have happened if I was stil drinking.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Glee, that sounds really hard. Losing a job is always a tough blow. I remember losing mine when my son was under a year old... It turned out to be the best thing that could have happened as, instead of continuing to work in a dead end job, I took the plunge and started my own business which, 12 years later, is very successful, gives me satisfaction and brings in far more money than my old job ever could have.

A lot of those clouds end up having silver linings and a lot of stuff happens for a reason even when we don't get it straight off.

Sending you positive thoughts!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Morning hope everyone has a good Thursday
Old 10-01-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Good morning. Today and tomorrow is my " weekend". Thurs and Fri are my days off for the next couple of weeks and then I will get some real weekends. I can't wait!

I know weekends are the time when I usually get those cravings so I will be ready with all of the tools I have learned to cope and get through them.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Thanks Undies

When I drank I thought I needed to throw myself at everything, demand answers, and predict others responses. I felt angry, tense, and worried most of the time. I thought that was how to guarantee success, but truth is it never prevented the bumps in the road from appearing.

Thanks to all of you and the people in AA, I've developed a different approach of doing my best today, like BoozeFree referenced above.

I'll catch up with all the posts later, just wanted to send a huge thank you for your kind words before I head into work. I needed to see that.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Gleefan, I was let go suddenly about three years ago so I know how stressful and difficult that is. It sounds like you are handling this well and I hope Your husband is too and can find something else soon.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi undies.

30 sober days today! Just checking in before I go womp.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Whoop whoop BF! Yay! High five!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Yay, BF

(((Hugs))) to Key and Glee!

Hi to all Undies :-)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Well done BeFre and very one else reaching milestones.

GF I know you have the fortitude and ability to weather any storms, but I hope for plain sailing and hubby gets another job quickly.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Very nice milestone BF!!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello everyone hope everyone is having or has had a good day

I smell dinner can't wait
Old 10-01-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

One for you too Saskia!! ((Hug))!!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
It's been quiet in a lot of the forums. I'm gonna be quiet too. I just think I need a hug ((hug)).....

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Remember how I posted this morning that I practice recovery so I can handle life when it gets bumpy?

This morning my life was going relatively smoothly. The shortly after I posted, my husband informed me that he was laid off. He is the breadwinner and the loss of his income threatens all of our financial security.

It's due to corporate restructuring - there's nothing he did wrong, and there's nothing he could have done to prevent it.

When he told me the news, I cried. I ran all the worst case scenarios in my head. I felt angry at how unfair it is. I wondered if it was going to send me to drink. My husband has issues with alcohol; I wondered if this would this send him deep into the bottle....

Then I put recovery into practice. I took deep breaths to calm down. I stayed in the moment. I said the Serenity Prayer. This put my concerns in perspective. I accepted that life has bumps. I accepted that we are losing our primary income. I remembered that the life I have in mind for myself may not be the one my HP wants for me. I reached out to other alcoholics for support.

I was working at home today. In my job, in a customer service call center, I have to keep an even keel no matter what's going on. When I found my demeanor dropping, I just came right back to the present and added some positivity and buoyancy to my voice.

There's no saying how my husband will handle this obstacle, or how it'll play out for my family. It was pointed out to me that there's opportunity for relationship growth with this challenge. I don't know. I know that I'll do what I need to do; I'll go to work, go to AA meetings, post on SR, reach out to give and receive support, see my friends, take the kids to hockey, exercise, eat my veggies, work hard, and do my best. In this struggle I have an opportunity to be a power of example - instead of a hot mess that needs to be calmed and tamed.

Any other suggestions or support would be wonderful!
I know when my husband was laid off he was at the beginning so shocked and depressed about it he couldn't do much except lay on the couch...right now I think the best thing you can do is just support him and pick up any slack you can. Treat him like your prize fighter and get him back in the ring. My husband got back up after the initial shock and got another job in a few weeks time. Not one that makes more money but definitely one that is easier on him physically so he'll be able to work longer. Make sure you get any retirement invested or rolled over into the next job--whatever they do. It'd be nice if he decided to stop drinking in this interim but I've learned you can't make anyone do what they don't want to do--they have to want it. This is going to be a stressful time for you but I assure you--this too will pass. Be thankful that you are sober and more able to handle this!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Thanks Blue Fairy ((Hug))!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Heck ya. I'm in on a group hug.

((Everyone))
Old 10-01-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

30 days BF? Nice one!!!! That's a great milestone!