One Year and Under Club Part 48

Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Popeye

D
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Welcome Popeye - Great to have you here.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome Popeye. Looking forward to getting to know you better! This thread is a great place to get support in our recovery, as our all of the forums here at SR.

Fradley -- glad you checked in and that you didn't take that first drink.

Ending day 140 here. My home internet was down all day and just magically decided to start working for some reason, thank goodness. I missed this place!

Work was OK. I really don't think the whole working only days is going to work out financially but I'm going to give it a little more time. I'm in the restaurant business and the money is just too much better at dinner vs. lunch. After a decent first day, I'd say my income has been cut in half the last three days. Like I said, I'll give it some more time but whether I work lunch or dinner or both, I know I've got a good recovery base here in SR in general and this thread, July 2013, and the 24 Hour thread in particular.

Had dinner with my dad and step-mother (who is basically my mom) and 10-year old nephew tonight. That was nice. It was raining so I didn't go to an AA meeting. Watched an episode of Friday Night Lights that made me cry a little bit, as that show nearly always does, and then watched a stupid movie. Going to do a little reading now and try to get to sleep.

Grateful to be 140 days sober today. Grateful my internet is back working again. Grateful for each and every one of you!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hello everybody.

I'm poking my head in here after Dee kindly pointed me this way. I'm a regular from the 'Class of July 2015' thread, but I wanted branch out for a bit more support. I've done regular runs of up to 3 months at a time, but unfortunately I get myself caught out by AV far too often. I've recently done 6 weeks of happy sobriety, but let myself down a few time, too, putting me back on day 7 as of today. I do want to stay away from the booze, so I'll be checking in here as often as I can to keep my mind in the right place.

Have a great day!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome cbf

D
Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Cbf, it's quite common to get to three months and then listen to AV instead of reason, our very own BeFree had quite a few 3 month lapses. I guess the trick is to be prepared for it and to do something differently to what you always have. Look at your support network, how can you improve that? ( Becoming an Undie is a great start!) look at your toolkit, what can you practise? There are plenty of us here with experience in every aspect of recovery so ask away, lean, vent, whatever. As long as you pour me a coffee every time the kettle is on!

BeFree I hope you get the new staff and it eases your load. I'm sure the added work stress hasn't helped you lately. How's your mom getting on with your gfather?

Fradley, at 2.5 years, just recently in Italy at a wine tasting ( and no I didn't choose to go they seem to be tagged into the end of every excursion in the Chianti region, no idea why!!) I was being asked 'surely you could just have a small taste?' And yes, for a fleeting moment reason left me and I wanted to say ohhhh, okaaay. Fortunately reason flew back and got AV in a choke hold though I was slightly discombobulated for the rest of the day.

Dee, you don't feel the danger any more, I feel, because you are here daily bolstering up your commitment to sobriety, you never allow AV a chance. It is to our benefit that you are so committed to your sobriety and to helping the SR community down the same path.

Path, or KeyofC is that Route 66 for the day?!! You sound in good spirits and in a god place.

WWS, I hope you are enjoying your down time with no cravings.

Casey, work/life balance is important but you do have to out food on the table. I hope you are able to sort something that helps you in both.

Cauliflower? How's things?

Popeye, good to see you, we need a strong arm to open the pickle jars around here! 10 months is great.

Well for those who are heading into the weekend I hope you have a great one, a sober one, a happy one.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee, you don't feel the danger any more, I feel, because you are here daily bolstering up your commitment to sobriety, you never allow AV a chance. It is to our benefit that you are so committed to your sobriety and to helping the SR community down the same path.
Thanks Toots

I'm a different man from the one I used to be, so it makes sense my relationship with my addiction has changed too.

I figure as long as I don't start entertaining notions of my addiction being in the past tense, I'll be fine

D
Old 09-25-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Glad to see everyone checking in and welcome to the newbies!
CBF hey there! I post in the July and September and this one and anywhere else the urge tells me to! I post a lot!
Glee! My friend, I wish I were doing more in my "faith". I used to be big in church and involved in women bible study. My heart has been closed to any type of a spiritual connection for a few years. My heart has been closed to anything except things that revolves around alcohol and me getting it. I have been doing private prayer. I open my heart and let it pour and have my conversation with my HP. I do it in the morning and night and if I feel like I need to during the day. I keep myself open to direction that the HP may be showing me. I have been reading and reading and reading and trying to put action into my thoughts and life. I want to find a church home and get more in tune with my spiritual side because I am finding I have a lot to give. This may not be what you were hoping to find in my answer to your question but it's working in my life today and there is such a change in my life it's amazing. ((Hug))!
Happy Friday! I know a lot of us aren't comfortable with weekends still. It puts me in the extra gaurd watch for sure! The walls go up and reinforcements are posted on the lookout for the damned AV. Not getting in here!
((Hug))!!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Ps: this was in another thread someone posted and it spoke to me so I wanted to share. Even if it helps one person that's one more!

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 33 Today I am an alcoholic. Tomorrow will be no different. My alcoholism lives within me now and forever. I must never forget what I am. Alcohol will surely kill me if I fail to recognize and acknowledge my disease on a daily basis. I am not playing a game in which a loss is a temporary setback. I am dealing with my disease, for which there is no cure, only daily acceptance and vigilance. From the book Daily Reflections Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Welcome, cbf!

I'm one of those who relapsed many times. I'm now nearing 14 months but have learned the hard way not to become complacent. For quite awhile I couldn't figure out why I kept relapsing. I finally went to my favorite pdoc and was brutally honest, then did a 3-month intensive outpatient program plus AA, later followed by meds fortification. I'm now off those. Best thing I ever did for myself!

On the ongoing saga of my adjustments to the retirement place: I now don't even bother going to the weekly cocktail party and skip the occasional wine and cheese party, too. I simply don't have any interest in that anymore. At dinner, only one or two people at my table now drink with dinner instead of all but me :-)
Old 09-25-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Good morning. Had a good day off yesterday with no cravings. I have been experiencing somewhat of a "fuzzy" head feeling lately. It is more than the last time but not too bad.

Welcome Cbf. I had a similar experience as I was at about three months and had a serious relapse so I'm back here working on it again! I'm working on a toolbox of things to help deal with cravings.

Yes popeye this is the right place to post. There are a lot of good caring people here!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

KeyofC - Wonderful quote! Recovery from alcoholism is definitely a journey. Staying on the beam - vigilance - is leading me to freedom and joy. Thanks also for sharing how you build your relationship with your HP.

Casey - Was working the dinner shift adversely affecting your recovery? Was it hurting your spirit? Did you feel triggered? Were you upset? Did you find yourself thinking you could moderate? Did you find yourself wanting to give up and drink? Questions you can think about as you determine your next steps.

Cbf - Welcome! Post away! We've all been where you are.

Toots - Alcoholism never goes away. I think your post illustrates the importance of vigilance, always.

BoozeFree - When you're stressed is a great time to reach out to your recovery network. I find there's a difference between friends who don't drink and friends who are in recovery. Find a meeting and take what works for you.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Popeye & Cbf so good to see you
Old 09-25-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Just some thoughts I felt to share:
Saskia,
I am only now at 67 days feeling like I can handle some party type situations. I do it very cautiously. I find people, when feeling inebriated, will try to coerce you to drink maybe not realizing the damage they're doing. I was great fun to have around in the beginning of my drinking evening because I am so dramatic and vocal. So people will say "oh come on! one drink won't hurt you!" Well they're right one wont hurt me, but unfortunately I can't have just one. And your bar won't have enough to satisfy me either. Lol Not so much the case once the angry me arrived..you know, the Jekyll Hyde Me, after I have had the dreaded fifty too many!Then everyone wished someone would shoot them dead to end their pain of me being in the same room. I also am learning that when I have had enough of the party, I leave. I don't even have to say anything about my alcoholism. I just say I am having so much fun I am wore out..or I have an early morning gotta go! My husband has even started to realize that he knows I am allowing certain things to benefit him really so that we don't end everything we used to do together, but he also realizes I have to take it in small doses and that I may never be ok with full blown partying ever again. I am so happy for you that you are recognizing your limits. It's about learning to think and live differently and limits/boundaries are what it consists of a whole lot. Good for you!! ((HUG))!
Waywardson,
I am glad you've had less cravings! The fuzzy head (or fog as I refer to it) will pass with time. I can't put a definite time frame on it as it's differs from person to person. Just be patient with it.

I am a work in progress, everyday. Everyday I commit to another 24. Everyday I write a list of things I am grateful for. Everyday I chat with my HP. Everyday I work on changing my thinking and my actions or reactions to life in general. My goal is to stay vigilant, sober, and working on recovery.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hey Popeye & Cbf so good to see you

Thank you for the kind welcome, everybody! Certainly strengthens my resolve to know you've all been through similar attempts. Good to see the place so active during daytime here in the UK also!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

KeyofC thanks for posting that bit from the BB! Great to read this morning!

Well another day of womp.
My mom will be visiting my gpa tomorrow and wants me to go visit Tuesday my day off. I might try to. I also am just trying to take care of me and sobriety. Might hit a meeting tonight with a friend.

Looking forward to my day off Sunday so I can just have a me day and relax.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Another night of drinking with the boys from work successfully dodged! Will chalk this one up as a win.

The drinking culture in this country is borderline obscene. How many alcoholics exist that just won't face the facts. One less here, anyway.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

I agree CBF!
Boy, today I am doing everything I can to just make it through the day. I still can't get rid of this stupid infection and I don't go back to the Dr until Tuesday. I am hoping this is the only reason I am feeling so run down and sluggish. Think I'll eat a popsicle! Maybe it's my blood sugar (although I have eaten).
Um AV if it's you...No! Not havin it....not me. Agghhhh! I am thinking positive thoughts I am working my program I am smiling and making myself go.....it won't win! (Thank God I am still at work) I haven't been sleeping good restful sleep. I wake up just as tired as I go to bed. Maybe I am putting myself on the back burner which is a no-no!
Hope everyone is having a good Friday! (Maybe I'm not resting enough.)
Old 09-25-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

You've not lost any of your usual, animated charm KeyofC, that's always very much welcomed when I'm looking through the forum posts :-)

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hi Cbf123! Nice to see another Brit on board the group!

Hope you all have a great sober weekend!!