Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 9

Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

keep focus on getting through this AA...

Just a couple weeks ago doing work outside I had a Lou Reed 'best of' album playing. Perfect day is on that disc.

I recall some years ago when I was a budding rock star and 'planning' stage sets I wanted to do a medley of LR's 'heroine', and beatles/lennon 'happiness is a warm gun' and 'cold turkey' - with all the theatrics akin to alice cooper of course.

I never got into drugs myself.

Have a good weekend all. Getting ready to leave very early in morning to hike in Shenandoah National Park and spend a couple nights there. Hopefully get in some good miles before the rain shows up on Sunday.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

LB: are you hiking with a group? You hike in with everything on your back? tent, food, etc? Sounds beautiful, but kind of physically challenging.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

nah, we're just doing a series of day hikes, tomorrow a five mile then an eight mile or less, staying in a lodge. Up early sunday to beat the crowd and do Rag Top or whatever it's called. That is a lot of rock scramble to get up to the summit. That's 9 miles, then move south for an afternoon hike. I understand if we're not there at daybreak, by 9 AM the will be a hundred cars in the lot. So it's beat the crowd time. Then Monday if we're up to it, do a more difficult hike with a lot of climbing - elevation - involved. And hopefully get back in PA before too late Monday night. We'll just carry drinks and lunch on the long hikes. Others a bottle or two of water and a snack.
Maybe by Monday I'll be ready for the granny trails. And I just found out she works Tues morn - I thought eve. So that definitely changes the Monday plan a bit.
Enjoy your weekend.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

My only great hiking adventure involved a 7 mile switchback trek from the summit of Haleakala on Maui down to the base on New Year's Eve 1974. I smoked Camels at the time; and even managed to race a friend back up to the top the next day. Oh Boy. Youth rocks.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
waking down

Ever been to Frozen Head State Park? It's always been a mystery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5aMiF-BEY
Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
waking down

Back to playing music. Getting my calluses back and my back is stronger. A couple of gigs coming up - one solo at an art gallery and another with my sidekick at a bar. I'm coming back to life. Long year. Hope y'all are well.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you guys are doing ok

D
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
waking down

Oh, and played at a brewpub on Halloween. Open jam. I was salivating for a beer, I have to admit, but then I was told their beer sucks. I didn't really crave alcohol; just wanted to taste their IPA. Very strange lately - been having acid dreams and wanting to get high. I actually think it's related to tossing the last of my narcotics from the surgeries. Hmmm... gonna have to be diligent for the holidays. I feel more at risk now than a year ago. That AV/DV (drug voice) been talking at me like to try to convince me about moderation and all that nonsense. And just about everyone I know drinks and/or smokes weed. At least my wife is clean and sober.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dee.

After yesterday's hike... the wife looked like a character from planet of the apes walking this morning. We just did a short hike - but it was steep too. Yesterday's 8 mile hike was 1000' up in three miles on the way back. It was worse going down through the mud, crossed a "stream" a couple times, before the climb up I just decided to jump in the river and went up with soaked boots and socks. If I had to do it again...
Saw an incredible buck this morning too. One for a poster, I got out to try to catch up with him for a pic - not gonna happen. I saw the ground all tore up and tree he'd been rubbing. 18" diameter tree he was making his mark on. If you know nothing about that sort of thing - deer usually don't pick a tree that huge to mess with.
Didn't see a bear but got a pic of a roosted owl. Not sure what brand right now.
Otherwise, ready to go again.
Gotta get back out hunting this week - I missed the prime Oct 31 date. BUt it still should be hot.
Hope all had a good weekend.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

You're in Colorado, right , Zero? Legalized weed? We had a change in government recently and one of the promises of the new guy is to legalize pot. Regulate it, tax it, unadultrate it, if that's a real verb. And I agree. Just need education. Lots of education.
And give yourself a good shake on the 'moderation' dream. IPA ain't that great tasting.

When did you learn all the stuff about hunting, LB? You must have grown up with it. You don't get that knowledge from books. Lots of hunters in our area at the moment. We must make sure that our dog doesn't wander.

70 F for us today, which is really unusual for early November. For some reason, our house was over run with lady bugs; they covered the outside walls in places like locusts, and found their way in through tiny cracks around doors and windows. I spent some time hunting them down, moving from room to room with the fearsome, raised wand of my trusty Kenmore vacuum, much hated by spiders in our house.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
waking down

Legal weed has been good for tourism here, and it's taken some cash out of gangsters' hands. Not much education, though, that I can tell.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

Around a year I had all kinds of thoughts like - maybe I wasn't really an alcoholic...or maybe I can smoke a little weed now...

I'm glad I decided not to listen to those thoughts - I really like who I am sober

D
Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Word, Dee.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hi guys,
Zero, glad to hear you are getting back to playing again.
Legalized weed? Alcohol is legal too… When this spreads, I hope they do start educating the public. So many people think it is just a harmless thing.
I finally started using the CD’s that came with my mando pickers books. I should have doing that months ago. What a difference it makes.
I never hunted as a young one. Nobody in my family hunted or fished. I did hunt with some guys a few times around home. But I was always drawn to the outdoors. I really didn’t start “hunting” until I moved back to PA in the late 80’s. Aside from reading, most things learned are from experience, it’s the greatest teacher.

Lady Bugs... During one of our hikes we stopped at a cliff to take in the view - well I was waiting for my partner to catch up - and we were swarmed by lady bugs. Never saw anything like it. You sat there for a minute and they were all over you...

Good to see you Actual, hope things are going well.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Thanks LB. I'll be 2 weeks on Friday. Admittedly not as "exciting" the second time around but somehow much more fulfilling. It's funny how quiickky you forget how pleasant waking up and not feeling like utter hell physically and emotionally is :p
Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Going back through my finances for this past month: I had a 7 day stretch where I averaged $150 at the bar each day--not like I was getting bottle service or anything, just craft beer. I don't even want to know what I averaged for the month, it won't be $150 but it will be an obscene amount.

Won't miss spending that money....
Old 11-04-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

AA: I can see how some people can be financially ruined by their drinking habit. That's a lot of $$$$ you went through in a very short time. How much does a pint of chichi beer cost, anyway?
Glad to hear you're doing so well.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

AA - two weeks is a good start, it may not be as "exciting" the second time around.
But when it's permanent, what could more exciting than that? Life is so much better now. I don't need to go into how much $$$$ I wasted over the years due to alcohol - and future earnings as well. And that's okay.
I've always said I'd rather be happy living in a trailer than be miserable living in a mansion. We make our own happiness. We can't really buy it.

Have a good weekend.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
waking down

The wisdom here keeps me coming back. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

hi gang, it was a sort of lazy week for me. too warm for my taste to go hunting which gave me time to things around here.
hot tub people are coming this morning, it hasn't been powered up in a long time, maybe I should have made sure it still works before I scheduled a service call...
I was ready to give it away for free until the missus said fix it and keep it - her money, my aggravation. But it will be nice to soak now that it's cool again.

been seriously thinking about thinking about a job lately. seems she is growing roots here. I can't wait too much longer.