Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 9

Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

TL, sorry to hear about your family, I hope everything is okay...

BIG - means fat... I had lunch with my sister last week, she's 'big' too, complaining of back problems...

I was with someone years ago who rescued dogs. This one would lay in his own mess. He was a tall dog and I remember 'lifting' him to stand and straddle him to walk him outside. It took ten minutes to walk him 50 feet. It was sad and he would look at me with those, 'please get me out of here' eyes. Finally she did the right thing.

Took computer back and started to explain the issue. The guy just hushed me up, said they don't need my note or any explanation. They'll figure it out when we ship it back. cool - costco rules.
I was going to get the same one and try again but they were out and I was told they are deleting this model from their sales... hmmm?
Got the one I was originally going to purchase. As soon as I powered it up I called tech support and they logged onto it and checked it out and the guy went through the set up with me. Almost three hours on the phone. Guy told me "WOW" you have a great computer. Loaded a few 'apps' onto it.
Of course microsoft doesn't have any programs now. Everything is an 'app'. Silly.
Since I spent so much time on new laptop yesterday I got nothing else done around the house. Busy day. I also got a day minder a couple days ago. I'm going to start 'scheduling' my days. Task lists and diary of time spent. I've been wasting too much time so I need to start making the days count.
If I just look around at what needs to be done it becomes overwhelming.
So I'm going to list and prioritize things.
work on something until it's done before I get distracted by other... I remember many years ago I was going to join the procrastinators society. I didn't get around to it yet. But I will someday...
oh - computer is Dell, with an SSD, picked up and external 2TB SSD to pair with it. Now I have more storage than I will probaly use for the next ten years... i7 processor - it FAST and furious.

Also, where I cleared the path to side of house the melt runs onto the sidewalk and freezes thick ice every night. The school kiddies have to walk down my sidewalk so I have to be vigilant to remove the ice E V E R Y DAY.
Dump salt on it each night and scrape the ice in the mornings...
The south is looking better all the time...
Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

LBrain I hear you on making the days count. I get overwhelmed too. I have a meditation timer and I set it for 15 minutes at a time to tackle all the things that need to be done, but will take some time, like paperwork, filing etc. I have to go through all my cupboards and drawers in a similar fashion as I just shoved things in to get them out of the way and off the floor when I moved.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

another Sunday... haven't turned on new computer since its debut power up

tomorrow starts a new month, I have my blood work orders, I'm gonna hold off until the end of the month - physical is end of first week of March...
hopefully I can lower cholesterol number in a month - I have no idea what it is, but I'm guessing the past couple months were not pretty as far as what I ingested... lots to do

hope all are well
Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

An interesting review, by Gabor Mate, of a book on addiction by Michael Pond, for those into a Sunday read:

Review: Michael Pond and Maureen Palmer explore the depths of addiction in Wasted - The Globe and Mail
Old 01-31-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
waking down

Interesting review, but not interesting enough to inspire me to get the book. I liked this passage:

He inherited his addiction through the trauma inflicted on him and his siblings. Although predisposing genes may be involved, we must not confuse predisposition with predetermination; genes can be turned on or off by the environment. Even children born with predisposing genes have a greatly attenuated risk of addiction if brought up in emotionally nurturing homes. Large-scale population studies have identified childhood adversity as the most significant determinant of later dependence, as illustrated by the tragic and ongoing multigenerational harm residential schools perpetrated on our First Nations citizens.

I think I'm in relatively good shape despite my genes because of my mom's unconditional love. Sure, she was a mess, and as I grew into my teens it became clear that she was increasingly losing her ability to cope with life. We always seemed on the edge of losing the house, and probably would have if not for a wealthy suitor (who happened to be married, so I don't know if suitor is the word - don't get me started - he was simultaneously helpful and harmful).

The point is I have always possessed a measure of resiliency. Sure, my childhood wasn't all cake and ice cream, but knowing I was loved balanced the traumas a bit (won't get into that right now). Thanks, mom.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I liked Gabor's idea that trauma can influence neurochemistry that supports addiction in the same way that genes can. Pond fell back on using naltrexone after a relapse, endorsing the pharmacological solution over, say, therapy.

Gabor Mate is a pretty cool doc working with a very poor, marginal, highly addicted, largely aboriginal community in Vancouver. He explored ayahuasca in Peru, and felt it had therapeutic potential for treating addiction. This surprised me, but I trust the guy's insight. He sought permission to do research/ trials; but the tight-keestered conservative government at the time denied it.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Also: I think it's great that you recognized your mother's unconditional love, and thanked her, Zero.
I think our parents did the best they could. My own insight into my parents grows as I age, and my compassion opens.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

hey gang
I got a lot done yesterday - although it hardly seems like much
went out this morning to view the five visible planets before sunrise - scratch that off the list...
got to get started early today... keep the momentum!

hope all are well.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
waking down

I've read about and contemplated theories about the use of psychedelics for therapeutic purposes. Carrie Fisher claims LSD helped her with addiction, for example. But as an old deadhead I also know (or knew) a lot of people who started out with weed and acid and ended up coke heads and junkies (think Jerry Garcia, for one). I lean more toward the Russell Brand position, which is that treating addiction with drugs (even methadone) is not the answer. Methadone might be safer than street heroin, but are methadone users really in recovery? And sure, tripping out on DMT or LSD might blow out the cobwebs, but the spider is still there and starts spinning a new web as soon as the tripper comes down.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I suspect that the ayahuasca treatment route was shooting for the spider, Zero.

Nice start to a day: stepping out under the fading nightsky, LB.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

well I did it...
I applied for a job. Got to get the resume refined for it tho... And submit promptly. I just saw this job today. It's in the neighborhood and is a good job. Now if I didn't suffer from resume-phobia...
Old 02-03-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes LB

D
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

BBBLLLEEERRRGGHHHHH.

I feel awful. Just awful. Everything hurts. Had a bone scan today. Got my CT and x-rays done the day before. Make another neurosurgeon appt tomorrow.

My dad is out of ICU and in a ward. He is much better, apparently. I haven't been to see him for a few days as I have been sick with a stomach bug.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your dad is better TL - hope you will be soon too

D
Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

glad to hear better news about your dad TL
Now you just get yourself together and get through this - please.

Thanks Dee. Yeah, it's time. I gotta push most of the superfluous 'stuff' to the back for a while. I got tired of the wife asking me every day "Did you look for a job?" ha... So actually, it IS time to get a job, I don't need her 'encouragement'.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
well I did it...
I applied for a job. Got to get the resume refined for it tho... And submit promptly. I just saw this job today. It's in the neighborhood and is a good job. Now if I didn't suffer from resume-phobia...
Good luck LB! Think positive.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Yes, LB, go for it! You're ready. I hope that the market is ready for you. It will be such a relief to move on. You should be out in the world using your high skills, and I'm sure that will happen.

On another note: here's a link to a short clip from Gabor Mate, on the subject of pathology, alienation and spirituality, to name a few bases. Addiction certainly fits into his paradigm. I'm not a Gabor groupie; but have just come across a few good meaningful things from him the past few days. Thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_j5mmBa4mw
Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

well jr, I always suspected I was normal but never quite sure...

spent the day working on resume, yeah how bout it...
I'll review it tomorrow to look for mistakes and have another couple people give it a look see before I submit it... not a 'traditional' resume. I totally winged it! They gotta give me points for that don't they?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for part 10

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html

D