Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 3

Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ainz View Post
Day 10 here,

I'm am really struggling today. Feeling so restless. Came in from a nightshift and I'm not working tonight, I would usually pour a drink even though it's only early afternoon here. Got that horrible wee voice in my head saying go on,, just 1. Ahhhhhh!!
Ainz, eat something, go outside, have a fizxy water drink, play a video game, tell AV to go away!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Ainz just posting "signs yiu up". Drinking comes easy for me after working overnight, so tired. Maybe go to bed early tonight?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Day 6 here, I haven't been sober 6 days for a long long time. I am trying to get through a horrendous cold which includes congestion and fever..I'm not sure if its withdraw or not, but I never want to experience this again if it is detox withdraw!

I have almost made it a week so now it is time to implement a program. I am very confident this time with sobriety. I have so much to live for and fortunately haven't lost much due to my drinking. I look forward to everything a sober life offers. I know every day won't be perfect, and some will be bad, but at least I'll have my dignity and it will be real..instead of fake alcoholic life.

Good luck all
Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days, Wharf Rat. I'm not sure what your cold symptoms are about either, but maybe you can use that to your advantage not to drink. At 6 days, you should be over the physical symptoms in the next few days. And yes, definitely time to make a plan.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

I've made it to day 20! Going strong.

Last night I did something which was depressing but I think has given me a new perspective on my drinking. I've been a pretty active journal writer over the years, so last night I went through all my journals from the last five years to see how drinking has affected my life. I was shocked, to say the least. It's amazing just how central my drinking problems have been to my writing. In fact, it's almost all I could talk about. Planning to quit drinking, then feeling depressed that I couldn't follow through with it. Stopping for short period of time and feeling great, then relapsing. It was all there, like reading a story.

The point is, it really solidified just how big of a problem my drinking has been for me. Even though I haven't had any disastrous events like a DUI or a lost job, drinking has destroyed my mental maturity and my emotional growth over the years. It's kind of interesting how we can forget how much drinking has messed us up if we don't look back, as painful as it can be.

I hope everyone continues on the positive path you have set for yourself. Have a great Monday, guys!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Those struggling with drinking or not...do anything but take that drink! You can do it! Don't replace one thing with another...but do something besides drink! My thoughts are with you!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Hi gang...I'd like to join this class. Time to get back on track. Otherwise, all is well. Thanks!
Hello and welcome Neverthought.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

So I woke up with a feeling of dread until I came to and realized I had no reason to feel that way. Guess at this point it's my body's default.... whatever. Can't find the word.

Best wishes today everyone!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

The bread was a success. I like to do a bunch of things at once if I'm running the oven, so I also made roasted vegetables for dinner and sesame/flax crackers to eat with hummus tomorrow. And I cleaned my basement office. Amazing how much more I can get done when I'm not asleep on the couch.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Very true vanaprathsa!!! It takes me 4 days drunk to get done in 1day sober.
Good for you!!!
Welcome never thought. Glad you are here
Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Wow guys, huge night out for me. Went straight to the usual bar, hanging with my drinking crowd like usual and had... listen to this... 2 coffees and 5 glasses of water. Even though I was feeling super depressed and stressed during the day, I had a nice time and it was honest to god, so refreshing not to drink. Not to have that dark cloud hanging over my head...
I used alcohol as a reward system, of course, but actually managing not to drink feels 10 times more rewarding.
There is something about knowing Im not drunk, not gonna have my usual insomnia episodes, blackouts, gonna wake up tomorrow ready for new challenges. Might not be with a smile on my face at first, but I'd rather go for 20 days of depression than experience another blackout or whatever that poison caused me before.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Doing good guys! Almost the end of the month! Very cool!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by reveal07 View Post
Wow guys, huge night out for me. Went straight to the usual bar, hanging with my drinking crowd like usual and had... listen to this... 2 coffees and 5 glasses of water. Even though I was feeling super depressed and stressed during the day, I had a nice time and it was honest to god, so refreshing not to drink. Not to have that dark cloud hanging over my head...
I used alcohol as a reward system, of course, but actually managing not to drink feels 10 times more rewarding.
There is something about knowing Im not drunk, not gonna have my usual insomnia episodes, blackouts, gonna wake up tomorrow ready for new challenges. Might not be with a smile on my face at first, but I'd rather go for 20 days of depression than experience another blackout or whatever that poison caused me before.
Glad you had a nice night. I will say, and this is not meant just for you so don't take it personally, be careful hanging around bars/your normal drinking haunts early in sobriety. What's that old saying? If you hang around a barber shop long enough, you're going to get a haircut.

Once again, good job on not taking that first drink and on checking in here. Wishing you and everyone else here the best today! Day 109 for me and it's even better than day 108. Living in recovery truly is an easier, better way of life.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Well done everyone!

Nighttime here day 24. Just had a bath , cup of tea and going to go to bed now. Can't believe I'm heading towards a month. It feels great. But I did have some thoughts about drinking earlier. Someone on facebook posted a pic of themselves about to go on hols at airport bar. Lovely drink in hand. Started thinking I'll never be able to do that again. It's funny how a photo of someone else can start you thinking. It's like I'm jealous of other people and feel I'm missing out. Even though I logically know that is not the case. But not tempted to drink or anything so that's good.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ainz neverthought and SHG

Reveal - I've desire to dampen your self of achievement at all, but like Casey says hanging out in bars with old mates can be dangerous.

I've done the drinking coffee and water thing, thought I was impervious to the seductive call of addiction...and then drank again.

be careful.

D
Old 08-24-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

This is a great class. Ive been trying to develop new habits to crowd out my drinking habits. I'm sure everyone does this. But a big part of this, for me, is reading what you all share. I used to reward myself for a long work day with a proportional ( or disproportional haha) amount of drinks. I've been trying to figure out specifically what can replace that.
What has taken the edge off is a new habit I've started of checking in to SR and journaling a little in the morning. I have awful morning anxiety. Lately it's been better ( I wake up at 430 instead of 3am)..but what I've been trying to do is sit and write for maybe just 15 mins as I'm getting ready for work. I have a cup of coffee and even if it makes me late, I just give myself that time. Part of my journaling is listing things I have to look forward to during that day. If I realize I have nothing good going on that day, that's a red flag that I need to do something or plan something for myself. It's just so easy to get swallowed up by the responsibilities of being a parent and working and having a house and a dog and.. There is just always way too much.. So if I realize I have nothing but work on the schedule, I fix that ahead of time. I plan something very specific...to start reading a book I've been meaning to read, or to cook something I love or try something new..Anything, but it must be something I genuinely can look forward to for that day after work to fill the void of not drinking. ( probably a bad way to put it but you know what I mean.)
I too have been cooking a lot and my family is very happy about this, but often a big cooking project leaves a large cleaning project. So, I need to keep that in mind too.
For me, a lot of this is sort of a re-learning how to care for myself because the drinking short cut was a real crash and burn.
Have a great night everyone.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Casey, Dee - this was a small win for me, needed that but will make sure not to put myself in that position again. Already planned my routes - instead of bars - hit the beach or just cycle for an hour or two. Keep the head clear!

Have a good night everyone!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

checking in, a week sober.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Day 15 today. I am feeling and looking so much better (if I say so myself ) I look into the mirror and actually recognize myself and not cringe. I still have the 15 lbs that I gained over the last 4 or 5 years to lose but that can wait. I've started exercising regularly again so that will help, I'm sure. Hangover got in the way of exercise too many times in the past. I also started a new knitting project that I'm very excited about.

Oh, and today was biweekly recycling day - happy to report that there were no wine bottles or boxes in the bin! Wine used to be my poison of choice...
Old 08-24-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Congrats on personal goals and wrapping up another day sober guys! I gotta say it makes me feel good to be a part of such a good class! We may fall but we get back up and hash it out. Don't quit! Hope everyone has a good night! 7:55 pm here in Ky. Thank you God for another day!