Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 3

Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Oh, I wanted to add something that made me happy (I'll admit it!) - a really nice pair of jeans I could not pull on at the beginning of the summer now fit perfectly! I'm wearing them to work today.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Day 18.

Everyone have those experiences where you smell something and it triggers an onslaught of strong memories? Happened to me this morning. It was the first day it felt like fall. A little chill on the air, dew on the cars. I don't know what the smell was exactly, but it reminded me of fall, leaves falling, football. And the drinking that goes with all that -- beers for the game, a few screwdrivers with breakfast before going down to tailgate. Red wine around thanksgiving, etc. etc.

Suddenly if felt like this is such an impossible mountain to climb...to actually NEVER drink again? Tried to force it out of my head and just get through today. I wish I could just be normal and stop obsessing over this. AV wont shut up.
I know the feeling too well Rusty. It's like a great memory and punishing memory all in one.

Hey, I still have to get through day (1). I keep flip-flopping.....What's one more day. You think I would know what to do by now.

Anyway...keep up the good work everyone.!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Oh, I wanted to add something that made me happy (I'll admit it!) - a really nice pair of jeans I could not pull on at the beginning of the summer now fit perfectly! I'm wearing them to work today.
Good for you bexxed. It's the little things, isn't it.....
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi Rusty, I absolutely know what you're feeling. For me a big trigger is the light in the evening - as the sun starts to set and the shadows get long, the first thing that pops into my mind is wine. It's a great feeling and horrible feeling all in one.

I just experienced the same thing a few minutes ago: I may drive to my parents' house tonight (I'm taking the rest of the week off work) and the first thought I of was driving into the sunset and having a few glasses of wine when I got there. I stopped that thought quickly. Where would a few glasses of wine lead me? Nowhere I want to be. By not drinking tonight I can enjoy a wonderful sunny morning tomorrow waking up fresh and rested.

Stay strong everyone! We deserve to be sober.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

I went to the shopping center where my usual liquor store is located today. I have avoided it so far (at least when the store is open) and as I expected, the little voice tried to tempt me -- "you proved you can stop, etc" But it was a pretty pathetic attempt so I just watched it go away. I am better than that.

RustyBanjo, smells are one of the most potent triggers for memory; it's why the smell of your first girlfriend's perfume or your father's aftershave bring back such intense memories.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Rusty, I'm on day 16 and have had similar feelings all day today. Will it ever stop???
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Day 9 . Late evening and a huge craving . Dear alcohol, we had quite an eventful time in a past but please leave me alone from now on , you almost ruined my life and I have no feelings for you anymore. Good bye wine , hopefully we will never meet again. On a serious note , this craving came out of nowhere, I hate it and feeling upset as I was doing so well for the past few days
Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Gjess, if you don't give in to the cravings, you're still doing great. The cravings come and go; just let them go. Sounds easier than it is, I know, but you can do it.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same Rustybanjo. I've even had the AV say, why did I pick this time of year to quit? Why not after the football season and holidays? The truth is everything I do revolves around a drink. Cooking out, watching UFC, football, getting off work, etc. As the seasons change I will be reminded with temptations. If anyone reading this has years of sobriety experience please share how long it takes for these triggers to water down. I know I'll always want a beer, but like Rustybanjo, I'm afraid of all the activities up ahead. They say it takes 21 days to lose a habit. Obviously whoever said that was not an alcoholic like me. Still sober and plan on staying that way!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

At the park with the kiddos before they head back to school tomorrow. I slept later than I wanted to, so falling asleep tonight will be an issue. It's a beautiful day though. Enjoying not being a slave to the buzz today.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
I have a different problem with jeans. I bought two new pairs of jeans about a month ago, and now they don't fit! I have to buy smaller jeans!

Could be worse I guess. (-:
Old 08-25-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Day 18.

Everyone have those experiences where you smell something and it triggers an onslaught of strong memories? Happened to me this morning. It was the first day it felt like fall. A little chill on the air, dew on the cars. I don't know what the smell was exactly, but it reminded me of fall, leaves falling, football. And the drinking that goes with all that -- beers for the game, a few screwdrivers with breakfast before going down to tailgate. Red wine around thanksgiving, etc. etc.

Suddenly if felt like this is such an impossible mountain to climb...to actually NEVER drink again? Tried to force it out of my head and just get through today. I wish I could just be normal and stop obsessing over this. AV wont shut up.
Originally Posted by Yogapants View Post
Rusty, I'm on day 16 and have had similar feelings all day today. Will it ever stop???
Originally Posted by SoberFish View Post
I feel exactly the same Rustybanjo. I've even had the AV say, why did I pick this time of year to quit? Why not after the football season and holidays? The truth is everything I do revolves around a drink. Cooking out, watching UFC, football, getting off work, etc. As the seasons change I will be reminded with temptations. If anyone reading this has years of sobriety experience please share how long it takes for these triggers to water down. I know I'll always want a beer, but like Rustybanjo, I'm afraid of all the activities up ahead. They say it takes 21 days to lose a habit. Obviously whoever said that was not an alcoholic like me. Still sober and plan on staying that way!
There's a technique called playing the tape through to the end. It's about countering those nostalgic daydreams with the reality of how it really was.

I would like to think of myself as a gentleman drinker genteelly sipping my drinks and being the life of the party with my witty anecdotes...but the reality was a little different.

It does take longer than 21 days cos I think drinking more than a bad habit...but you will one day, not too far off, not be tormented by daydreams, nostalgia, sights and sounds.

My life has never been better than it is now. There's no nostalgia real or imagined that can beat that

D
Old 08-25-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee, that's helpful.

I distracted myself by doing some closet cleanup and cooking dinner. And telling myself that all I need to do is make it to October 15. I know it's not solving the problem but for today it worked. One day at a time....
Old 08-25-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gjess View Post
Day 9 . Late evening and a huge craving . Dear alcohol, we had quite an eventful time in a past but please leave me alone from now on , you almost ruined my life and I have no feelings for you anymore. Good bye wine , hopefully we will never meet again. On a serious note , this craving came out of nowhere, I hate it and feeling upset as I was doing so well for the past few days
Gjess, I highly recommend using mindfulness to urge surf. I've used it a number of times over the last 10 days and it has helped greatly when I feel myself having cravings.

To get started with urge surfing try these three steps:
  • When you feel a craving coming on, sit down in a comfortable chair (ideally in a place where you won’t be disturbed), put your feet flat on the floor and take a few deep breaths to relax yourself. Close your eyes and look inward into your body. Try to feel where in your body you experience sensations of cravings and describe to yourself what these cravings feel like in different parts of your body (for example "I feel a tightness in my legs and my stomach is kind of jumpy…").
  • Pick one area in your body that seems most affected by sensations of craving and focus deeply on these sensations as they pass by. To keep your mind from wandering, describe the sensations you experience in your chosen part of the body as they arise (for example "my arm is kind of itchy, now it’s almost like a pins-and-needles sensation just below my elbow in my inner arm…It feels warm too now…")
  • Next move to another affected part of the body and repeat the focused attention there, and then repeat with another part of the body. After a while, you will notice that the craving will have passed by

http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/rec...d-urge-surfing
Old 08-25-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Feeling like hell. Terrible pains and soreness made worse by killer workday. I earned this crappy feeling.
Tens unit is a lifesaver for me right now. Please sleep take me !!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Gjess, I highly recommend using mindfulness to urge surf. I've used it a number of times over the last 10 days and it has helped greatly when I feel myself having cravings.

To get started with urge surfing try these three steps:
  • When you feel a craving coming on, sit down in a comfortable chair (ideally in a place where you won’t be disturbed), put your feet flat on the floor and take a few deep breaths to relax yourself. Close your eyes and look inward into your body. Try to feel where in your body you experience sensations of cravings and describe to yourself what these cravings feel like in different parts of your body (for example "I feel a tightness in my legs and my stomach is kind of jumpy…").
  • Pick one area in your body that seems most affected by sensations of craving and focus deeply on these sensations as they pass by. To keep your mind from wandering, describe the sensations you experience in your chosen part of the body as they arise (for example "my arm is kind of itchy, now it’s almost like a pins-and-needles sensation just below my elbow in my inner arm…It feels warm too now…")
  • Next move to another affected part of the body and repeat the focused attention there, and then repeat with another part of the body. After a while, you will notice that the craving will have passed by

Urge Surfing: How to Beat Cravings and Relapse with Mindfulness
Thank you so much! I will be trying this tonight. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Texting worthwhile help articles to myself. Sending apps connections. Got to keep this present in my mind to not fuzz out and give in to my AV.
Trying something new. Got to
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

We're with you JL, keep going. We can do this. Best wishes. Sorry you aren't feeling well today.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Just taking a quick break. I am laying down on the couch with my boy...watching Minecraft videos It's not that bad actually...I couldn't care less about the video game, but he's talking with his sweet voice, and giggling...and I am just enjoying spending time with him...thinking that in a few years he won't think it's fun to hang out with mommy...but today it's ok, and I am loving this moment...

Goodnight everybody...
Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hi class! Finishing up day 9 tonight. Wishing my energy and mood would level out. I have so much to do and not in the mood. I feel like I just can't deal with life. Adulting sober is hard. I even forgot to add eggs to the muffins today😭