Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 3

Old 08-24-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Blackbird, sounds like you had a phantom hangover. I had one of those and it was very strange. I felt psychically ill and dehydrated when I first woke up. After about a minute or so I realized I didn't drink at all the night before and voila it was all in my head, physical discomfort and dehydration were all a mind trick. That's definitely a sign that I've been doing this to my body for far too long. I didn't know what to call it but a fellow SR member posted this link. If you research further it seems quite common with early recovering alcoholics. Congrats on your success everyone! I'm wrapping up day 22 and proud to be class of August 2015!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Day 9 is done and I'm starting day 10, yep double digits.

Well done to everyone who has made it another day.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

blackbird, I've had the same thing before too. Best I could figure it was due to too much coffee during the day. Either that, or it was just my body continuing to repair itself.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

I'm at work & Hungry. You know it's bad when you are excited for hospital cafeteria food.

Read some more from Rational Recovery this afternoon. Finally getting to the good part where they explain AVRT. "AA is for chumps and RR rules" is how I'd summarize the first segment. Meh, Different strokes for different folks, I'd say. My dad has found success in AA. Who knows?

Feeling stronger in quitting for good. I never want to drink again, so, I never will drink again.

Yea I've experienced the Phantom hangover before. Wasn't expecting it this soon though. I expect by this time in the normal cycle I'd be hungover at work tonight. But I'm not. Happy for that...Baby steps
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Great to hear you have strong resolve blackbird, and here's to both of us.

Anyway, about 36 hours into detox for me, so I'm in the clear now. My body seem to rejuvenate quite well, but that first while is horrible.

Managed to dream last night, so that's a good sign. I don't like it when I don't dream during detox, because I don't know whether or not I naturally fell asleep. Neither would surprise me considering what I go through in that bed. That has to be stressful on the body and mind.

Still quite weak, but that's to be expected. The hard part is over though, and besides, I've already promised myself that one way or another, this is the last detox I ever go through.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Morning group
Love everyone's posts, jut wish I could work out how to cut and paste quotes and comment on them. I am such a technophobe.
Another sweaty night for me (niiiicceee) this may sound strange but I like it. It's a reminder of all that horrible poison seeping out of my body. On day 6 today. Got an appointment at the local alcohol advice centre. I don't really know what to expect but I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Hello to any new members
Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

brigherlife,

If it helps any, try to keep your body cool during this time. Your liver regulates your body temperature, and it is going to be raised during detox, hence the sweats. If you have air conditioning crank it up, sleep with either nothing or just a bed sheet instead of a heavy blanket, if you're comfortable doing so sleep naked instead of in pajamas, drink cold water from the fridge not at room temperature, don't wear heavy clothes, take lots of showers to keep your pores open, etc.

I don't know, but all that type of thing helps me quite a bit. The sweating doesn't help get rid of the toxins anyway. Very, very little alcohol leaves from the pores in your skin.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in. I ended up calling in sick yesterday because I woke up at 10:00am which is when I am supposed to be at work. It just seemed easier at the time to call in than to be an hour late for work. I have worked for the same company for the last 15 years and my boss is great but I called in one day last week too and I need to quit doing that. It is 4:35am here and if I don't go to bed soon, I am afraid I will oversleep again. Since I have tried to stop drinking, my sleeping patterns have been way off. My doctor has prescribed some anti-depressants to take before going to bed to help me sleep but one doesn't work and the other makes me way too groggy in the morning and I can't take them when I have to work. Hopefully my body will eventually adjust and my sleeping will get back to normal.

I made it through the day without drinking so now I am on day 2. I hate having to start over again as the first few days are always difficult for me. I will get through them though. I just have to keep my focus on the goal of where I want to be.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this class. There seems to be a lot of motivating, positive people here
I hope everyone has a happy & sober Tuesday
Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day guys
Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Tired this morning..ugh! Looking forward to 10 days off starting Thursday! Thank God! It will be nice to work on me and relax. Guess it's always been self centeredness even when I drank, but this is a good self centeredness. This is me finally taking care of me, not trying to destroy myself anymore. Spending a few days down time with my husband and we are also renewing our vows. So happy about that! We joke about it and he'll say "hope I say yes again"! Other than that I need to just rest and take it easy and just "be". I'm exhausted. I am going to go through closets and get rid of stuff but that's the extent of my plans!
Welcome to the newcomers! Glad to have yall!
Day 36!!
Check in later!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Made it through weekend . Caved yesterday.
6 yr old sick- took to doctor- broncitis
2 yr old got Immunizations . One hurt him and he couldn't walk without crying all day and evening. I got everything done while wife was at school, but I cracked about the constant crying. I'm pretty ashamed but is probably do the same thing again in that situation. It was awful. I'll be suffering today as none of us got sleep last night. It's just been a rough one. Everybody has em.
Maybe I'll post happier stuff later today. Day 1 of 4 at work.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
Just checking in. Feeling a little down today. Not sure why since I just woke up. I'm a teacher and I go back to work next week. I never like the summer to end. It I know it will be good for me this summer. I need to stay busy, focused and have more of a purpose.
Congrats to everyone...it sounds as though we are doing okay as we approach the end of the month!!!!
KeyofC...congrats on your vow renewal. That is something to celebrate!

Have great sober Tuesday everyone xo
Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can only imagine how rough and worrying it is to have kids ill JL but I really hope you can find a way through this.

I had an enormous amount of triggers by the time I quit - I had to learn to face them and get through them - and it sucked yes - but each time I did I got a little more capable for the next time.

D
Old 08-25-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

JL, you made it through the weekend while they were sick. This time you said if they were crying like that again, you would probably cave again. Let's work on that. How do you escape the constant high pitched squeal that could drive any human to the brink? Maybe put them safely in their room (kiss their forehead) and walk outside, put on headphones, or call a friend or relative? Not sure what will work for you, but they are little and it will probably happen again. Not drinking is actually a huge gift to them and will save them many tears in years to come.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Got some herbal supplements to try in the evenings. Apparently I'm not finding it easy to get anxiety under control. Gotta beat this without trading one habit for another.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benice View Post
JL, you made it through the weekend while they were sick. This time you said if they were crying like that again, you would probably cave again. Let's work on that. How do you escape the constant high pitched squeal that could drive any human to the brink? Maybe put them safely in their room (kiss their forehead) and walk outside, put on headphones, or call a friend or relative? Not sure what will work for you, but they are little and it will probably happen again. Not drinking is actually a huge gift to them and will save them many tears in years to come.
Nah it was just the 2 ur old limping around crying. Not noise so much. I'm new to experiencing his pain. If it was my 17 yr old I'd not be as empathetic ! Lol
Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

2 to 17? I keep typing and erasing sarcastic remarks...lets just say I understand you have your hands full. Best of luck today, JL!

This note is to ALL dads quiting...your sobriety is really a huge gift to your children, no matter their age. Don't underestimate this gift.

Happy Tuesday class.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Day 10. Had a great day yesterday at the aquarium, but the ride home was very trying. We left Baltimore when rush hour was just starting and then gps stopped working so my husband started griping and cranking about that and then the baby started screaming. The thought of drinking when we got home popped into my mind, but then I realized I have to find a way to deal with these triggers. If I drink every time my husband is in a bad mood or when the kids are being difficult, etc I will never stay sober. I was ok by the time we got home. Everyone was just tired. All is much better today.

Will check back later. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday
Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Day 18.

Everyone have those experiences where you smell something and it triggers an onslaught of strong memories? Happened to me this morning. It was the first day it felt like fall. A little chill on the air, dew on the cars. I don't know what the smell was exactly, but it reminded me of fall, leaves falling, football. And the drinking that goes with all that -- beers for the game, a few screwdrivers with breakfast before going down to tailgate. Red wine around thanksgiving, etc. etc.

Suddenly if felt like this is such an impossible mountain to climb...to actually NEVER drink again? Tried to force it out of my head and just get through today. I wish I could just be normal and stop obsessing over this. AV wont shut up.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, Rusty.

Gotta make new memories, which is a really great thing, IMO.

I'm here checking in. Day 25. Went to another minor league baseball game last night. I've gone to so many of them since I got sober that I now associate them with cucumber water and peanuts; not beer or wine. Had fun although my team lost.

You know who is glad I'm sober? My cat. I have a really active and funny cat with a giant personality. I adopted her when she was a tiny kitten. I give her a lot more attention and I'm home a lot. She loves it. This morning I woke up with her sleeping in my arms. She never has done that before. She doesn't like drunkenness. She would stay away from me when I was drunk, and she always knew.

Today I'm working, gotta get out the door here. Hope everyone has a great day!