Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 3

Old 08-23-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Hi all...just checking in for the evening.
I was at a BBQ with my family at neighbors house. Some people had lots to drink but I stuck with the others. Nice to catch up with people.

Patricia...I can so understand the party pickup/wine drinking. That was my life when my kids were younger. I think it sounds like a good idea to get someone else to pick up. ...if that's possible. When I stopped drinking and stayed sober years ago I often found myself in similar situations. I would just try to get my kid and leave as quickly as possible indicating I had somewhere else to go after this. Or I would just say.."no thanks, I've got too much to do later on" I was never really questioned. That could be a tough one though...good luck to you

Have a good night all
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good to hear from you hopeful - congrats on your week

D
I appreciate that Dee! Hope u r well.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Thanks, Soberwolf It's actually a picture my dad took of downtown LA and the new moon, but because it's so small you can't really see either. But the colors are nice anyway

Had a great sober beach day today. It felt good to be with friends and out in the sun. And not drinking!

Take care, All.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Day 8 is done and I'm starting day 9. I'm determined to make it this time around. I've really been working on creating an enjoyable and fulfilling sober life.

Congratulations to everyone who stayed sober today.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hi all. Hope there are a lot of successfully sober weekends out there. Day 16 for me.

I made it through my fantasy football draft with the guys on sat. I was worried about going, but not a single person asked why I wasn't drinking. Guess it's not as big of a deal to most people as it is in our heads.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Not drinking and watching my wife have a meltdown over stuff, isn't cool.
Not drunk, but I'd rather be.
No wonder I've hidden away all these yrs.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, checking in.

Sorry to hear you slipped, Patricia. What a mind-spin. It's so hard when we're not prepared. I liked what Dee said about the kids' birthday parties. I see these things on social media, and it always surprises me. Parents referring to wine as "mommy juice", groups called "Mommy needs a beer", etc. I guess people do it.

Today was the 23rd day for me. I got a pedicure and started reading a new book. This weekend I got stuff done for work ahead of Monday so the beginning of the week is easier. Being "boring" is so much less stressful. I want to do other things that I didn't do when I was drinking (art, exercise, etc) but at the same time, I feel this strong draw to just be with myself for right now. I think that's one of the big things I lost- being with myself. It feels like meditation. I'm not isolating by any means; I feel like taking it slow is the thing to do right now. Fast hasn't helped me, drunk or sober.

Anyway that is my contribution tonight. Wishing everyone a peaceful evening.

-B
Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Not drinking and watching my wife have a meltdown over stuff, isn't cool.
Not drunk, but I'd rather be.
No wonder I've hidden away all these yrs.
Aw sorry JL. Pls don't drink. Maybe just offer her a hug? I know that solves most of my meltdowns.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I am in a really bad place. I am from the class of June 2015 but I keep slipping. Can I join in this class? Tomorrow will be my day one (again). I know I am ultimately the only person that can help myself I am just struggling. I am hoping tomorrow will be my last day one.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Welcome to August! Hope you get some rest tonight. You can do it!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Hi all. Hope there are a lot of successfully sober weekends out there. Day 16 for me.

I made it through my fantasy football draft with the guys on sat. I was worried about going, but not a single person asked why I wasn't drinking. Guess it's not as big of a deal to most people as it is in our heads.
Good job banjo. I know it's as simple as saying "I don't drink" and most likely the only "person" we will argue with is our own alcoholic voice.

But... Read somewhere that if someone is bugging you to drink you should just tell them that you would love to, but you can't because alcoholism runs in your family and that one drink would likely leave you dying in a puddle of your own vomit with the limbs of children scattered about after having caused a fiery crash.

That's an ugly enough statement to shut just about anyone up I think.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Welcome emme. Don't feel bad, I've been slipping since June 2011. Wont give up on myself though.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Welcome Emme.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I'm feeling a lot better today.

I slept until 1pm and woke to an empty house. My SO went out to lunch with a coworker and left me to rest since I work overnight tonight. I drank some coffee and reopened my rational recovery book. Went for a long walk, saw a broken beer bottle and had a pang of longing. But I don't drink.

My love came home with the absolute spicest wings ever and a buzz. I could tell he was a little nervous about it, kept saying he only had 3. I told him I don't know how to just have 3 with a smile. He's been really supportive and loving... doesn't even see me as flawed even though I've deteriorated significantly the past couple years. He's on board with keeping it out of the house. I'm just really grateful to have him in my life, I need to be the best person I can be for both of us. My drinking doesnt bug him yet, but the alcohol is making my depression spiral out of control, that is wearing on him. He's said, that when I get down he always tends to think it's because I'm not happy in the relationship. I reassured him it's because I'm mad at myself. "Life's too short for that." He said. He's right.

Anyway, danger lurks at 7am when I'm tired and off work. But the solution for that is my bed, not the liquor store.

Safe journeys ppl.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Morning all
Hi Emme, I'm from a multitude of other classes too...let this be our last. I have a nice warm fuzzy feeling in this one
Sorry you slipped Patricia, it shows we have to be prepared for the unexpected eh? I had 7 weeks once and slipped in similar circumstances.
Slept better last night though sweating like crazy. Felt a little flat and boring but got an early night. Off to an N.A meeting today. Much prefer A.A but can't get to that tonight and am also meeting up with the group leader for coffee and chat. Really going out of my comfort zone this time...nothing changes if nothing changes! Keep well class x
Old 08-24-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

I get to go home early! Straight to bed I promise! Good morning and good night!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, any room for one more in the Class of August?
It's my first time quitting.
Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Welcome reveal07. Lots of support here.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Welcome meme and reveal107,
This is a great group and you will find lots if support here.

BBf...I'm glad you have such a supportive SO . You are very lucky.

Bexxed..interesting what you said about the wine names. There is also a white wine called "mommys time out" it was relatively cheap and I used to buy it regularly..crazy!!!

Waking up feeling pretty good on day 3. Hope all have a happy sober monday
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Hope you have a healthy happy day!