View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
GBluewater

This is a great class. Ive been trying to develop new habits to crowd out my drinking habits. I'm sure everyone does this. But a big part of this, for me, is reading what you all share. I used to reward myself for a long work day with a proportional ( or disproportional haha) amount of drinks. I've been trying to figure out specifically what can replace that.
What has taken the edge off is a new habit I've started of checking in to SR and journaling a little in the morning. I have awful morning anxiety. Lately it's been better ( I wake up at 430 instead of 3am)..but what I've been trying to do is sit and write for maybe just 15 mins as I'm getting ready for work. I have a cup of coffee and even if it makes me late, I just give myself that time. Part of my journaling is listing things I have to look forward to during that day. If I realize I have nothing good going on that day, that's a red flag that I need to do something or plan something for myself. It's just so easy to get swallowed up by the responsibilities of being a parent and working and having a house and a dog and.. There is just always way too much.. So if I realize I have nothing but work on the schedule, I fix that ahead of time. I plan something very specific...to start reading a book I've been meaning to read, or to cook something I love or try something new..Anything, but it must be something I genuinely can look forward to for that day after work to fill the void of not drinking. ( probably a bad way to put it but you know what I mean.)
I too have been cooking a lot and my family is very happy about this, but often a big cooking project leaves a large cleaning project. So, I need to keep that in mind too.
For me, a lot of this is sort of a re-learning how to care for myself because the drinking short cut was a real crash and burn.
Have a great night everyone.