Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Still here. Still sober. Too emotional last couple of days and I'm trying to snap out of it. I'm just so tired. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Catch up laggers.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
Still here. Still sober. Too emotional last couple of days and I'm trying to snap out of it. I'm just so tired. Hope everyone is doing well.
Hope everything is okay. Take care Angie.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay with us Angie
Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Angie -hope everything is okay
Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Look after yourself Angie! Anything we can do?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hoping you get things sorted Johnny...

Hoping you are ok too Angie...
Old 06-18-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Angie...good news...you're brain is healing!

Quick check in. Lazy getting out of bed again. I ran for a few days then stopped. I'm going to make it a point to run this weekend.

None for me today.

Have a great day!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

So I am a life insurance broker. I mail out to people who fit low income demographics over the age of 50 to help them shop for the lowest price insurance policy. Those who reply via mail are the ones I call to set an appt or door knock if I can't catch on phone.

I run into all kinds of situations when working with low income. Hoarders, bug infestation, cat pee everywhere, dog crap in the homes, pretty much everything you can imagine.

By far, the most common issue I run into is the all day drinker. And that's the ones I notice. Mostly from beer drinkers. I'm sure there's plenty others who have spiked their morning coffee.

I just called to advise a client her policy Has been approved. When I met her at 10am a couple weeks ago, she was hanging out with 3 others drinking beer. When I called this morning at 930, she was already drunk.

I'm glad I'm not heading in that direction any more.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
OMD

Good morning!

Angie, Johnny, thinking of you. Whatever it is will not be improved by booze. Stay strong and positive. You have literally everything to gain by not picking up that first drink. This is important.

IC I am going to throw down the gauntlet, Sir! Go for a little run/walk tomorrow then you'll be ahead before you even get to the weekend

Martina - hope the bath was worth waiting for!

There are a lot of wise words offered in this class. Not just sound bites but very valuable lessons from real experience. I want to summarise them all into one place. Maybe one day.

None for me today. 2 weeks from now will be a specific challenge but I will probably post on that later.

Best wishes

OMD
Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
So I am a life insurance broker. I mail out to people who fit low income demographics over the age of 50 to help them shop for the lowest price insurance policy. Those who reply via mail are the ones I call to set an appt or door knock if I can't catch on phone.

I run into all kinds of situations when working with low income. Hoarders, bug infestation, cat pee everywhere, dog crap in the homes, pretty much everything you can imagine.

By far, the most common issue I run into is the all day drinker. And that's the ones I notice. Mostly from beer drinkers. I'm sure there's plenty others who have spiked their morning coffee.

I just called to advise a client her policy Has been approved. When I met her at 10am a couple weeks ago, she was hanging out with 3 others drinking beer. When I called this morning at 930, she was already drunk.

I'm glad I'm not heading in that direction any more.
We are all so lucky, regardless of our lives or where we live. We are living, breathing, not drinking and are making changes to ourselves to become happier beings!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OMD View Post
Good morning!

There are a lot of wise words offered in this class. Not just sound bites but very valuable lessons from real experience. I want to summarise them all into one place.
I can't wait for your thoughts OMD. This group has helped me so much, just keeping me accountable! I don't want to let you guys down, and I know that you all need me to sober as well!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Incontrol- That is wonderful job you have (helping people) but that must be really tough to see people in those situations. I'm glad that you are able to take positives from the situation. It's all about our outlook.

OMD- I really enjoy your posts in the morning

Today is good so far. I gave a speech yesterday. It was good but nothing special. I'm really happy this is a summer class and it will be over that much faster. Public speaking is not my favorite thing to do.

As for accents I don't think I have one but I probably do. I've lived in Southern California most of my life so there's probably some valley girl going on there lol I hear it in other people. Martina - you pretty much nailed it on the accents I hear

Morning all !!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Dee it's ok. I don't mean logged out. When I take too long to hit the Post button it says that 'The Session has TIMED out, please hit the back button and refresh the page to try again' or something like that. Don't quote me because my mind is mush right now. At that point it let's me hit Back and my post is still there. Refreshing the page yields the same results. I must go back to CP and through it to get reset. I never asks for login.

Don't worry I'll live Dee.

I've got bigger things on my mind like not dying today. God I feel terrible. It's going to be a short day.

Guys? Day 4 after a relapse could feel like total death? I'll blame it on that and not Ebola.

Thanks guys so much for being here.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Lily, I remember back in college we used to have to prepare a speech once a week, and present while being video taped. Then the whole class would watch and critique. It was really tough, but in the end we all improved. Like everything in life, we all improve after repeated tries. So Johnny, each time you step up and retry, you are improving. Just keep it up, and you will feel better, and each day gets easier. It's not Ebola, lol, just drink lots of water to flush your system!

There are some positive threads out there in newcomers, this one is quite good: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5427576

I added my 2 cents and it was great to think about the good things in life!

I am feeling very energetic today. Yesterday, not so much. I didn't make dinner, and fed my son a left over piece of chicken and a pop tart. My husband teased and said, "good mom." But, he knows the trauma of the last few days. I curled up on his lap and promised him that I would return back to my normal self in the morning. So, it's just a mind game people! Change your thoughts, change your life really rings true to me today.

Have a good sober day everyone~ none for me today.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Haha (Ebola). I probably am seriously dehydrated. I'll guzzle 500ml coconut water to start.

I've turned off the phone. I don't care about anything happening outside this apartment. Today I'll need massive rest and tomorrow I may really bounce back.

OMD, that's interesting that you see the inside of peoples places and inside their lives. It's also sad about the alcoholics.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Cauliflower I looked at that thread and could have written an almost identical list to yours! It really brings it home the benefits of stopping drinking

Well folks after a really crappy day at work I came home got all the chores done and ran my first bath in about 10 months with extra luxury bubble bath. It was absolute bliss!

I can even turn the new taps off with my feet so I don't have to make the effort to sit up to turn them off

M
Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Just read the ENTIRE thread you posted the link to, Cauliflower! Inspirational! What about that guy who's been sober 37 years! Quite a life!!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Public speaking is generally known as one of the most feared things for people to do, so well done for even doing it!

I am actually feeling pretty good today, although I have a confession. The world's most expensive custom made ear plugs have arrived already so I now need to buy some swimming kit and then I have no excuse not to build swimming into my life. I have posted before about not rushing certain things when your life changes in a big way, as it has done by becoming sober, and I feel strongly about that, but sometimes you just need to give yourself a little bit of a shove. So, buying swimming shorts at the weekend and then it will swimming next week hopefully. Once, and not too far. But I shall be very proud of myself if I do it.

Other than that today has been a bit up and down. Up because someone got in touch with me who I didn't expect to (long story) so that was nice. One thing that was not irretrievably damaged by alcohol. But down because I contacted someone from my old drinking circle who I want to keep in touch with and who is not responding. Ho hum.

But for me, not being defined by my relationship to others, today was a good day and for that I am grateful.

Tomorrow will definitely start well because even though I have a ton of work to do, it starts with taking my daughter to school. That time is just great It is a simple pleasure that genuinely makes me happy. What is interesting is that doing things that are difficult to achieve also make me happy, like overcoming obstacles to start swimming, so there is no universal definition or route to happiness and there are many ways in which I can truly be happy in the moment. But I think - and I was trying to get my head around this yesterday - alcohol only offers a route to unhappiness. So I am not taking that road. I think that is another Truth for me.

Happy Friday everyone.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
Dee it's ok. I don't mean logged out. When I take too long to hit the Post button it says that 'The Session has TIMED out, please hit the back button and refresh the page to try again' or something like that. Don't quote me because my mind is mush right now. At that point it let's me hit Back and my post is still there. Refreshing the page yields the same results. I must go back to CP and through it to get reset. I never asks for login.

Don't worry I'll live Dee.
sounds like it's beyond my expertise anyway Johnny

Originally Posted by OMD
I am actually feeling pretty good today, although I have a confession. The world's most expensive custom made ear plugs have arrived already so I now need to buy some swimming kit and then I have no excuse not to build swimming into my life. I have posted before about not rushing certain things when your life changes in a big way, as it has done by becoming sober, and I feel strongly about that, but sometimes you just need to give yourself a little bit of a shove. So, buying swimming shorts at the weekend and then it will swimming next week hopefully. Once, and not too far. But I shall be very proud of myself if I do it.
I think the no changes thing is good...but to me it really applies to stressful changes that can wait and need not happen right now.

I had to move house in my first 6 months - that was insanely stressful, but I had no choice.

I made a lot of lifestyle changes from the get go because my old life was about drinking. I never regret making those changes

I think swimming is a great positive move forward

D