Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 06-22-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Check in.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

SwimKim hope your feeling better today. Congrats on 2 months

The desire to drink is less, but I still have my moments. I guess I'm getting better at finding healthy coping mechanisms. Spending time with my grandparents has been a huge help. I think a lot of my drinking involved feeling lonely.

Today is off to a good start. Fun day Monday have a good one everybody!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Hi guys! It's Monday and I had a great sober weekend!
Unless using a bbq sauce called Bullseye Guinness resets my counter, I am on day 62 today.

I`m up for the Solstice to Solstice challenge!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Lots on my mind today. I saw the movie "Inside Out" last night. It's a kids movie by Pixar that has a very interesting presentation on how the psyche works. In this case a child moves away to a new town and becomes depressed. The various emotions each have their own character.

It was very good. But I left feeling very sad. Still sad today. Had to meditate, write, do some NLP stuff to pull myself together. Still a bit down, but I've pretty much successfully compartmentalized my emotions.

I want to talk to my counselor about changing his technique or suggesting somebody else who will do something besides Rational Thinking. I have issues from the past, both recent and older, that I need to deal with. I'm tired of tucking them away just for them to pop up again later.

Strange how impactful that movie was for me emotionally.

Anyway...feeling better.
None for me today.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Thanks Lily. I'm feeling much better today. I went back to my room yesterday afternoon and took a three hour nap (!) and felt re-engergized when I woke up. Went for a hike and had a nice dinner. Conference is going well so far today - hooked up with my coworkers here. I am happy to report I feel normal today (I'd describe "normal" as balanced - not tired; content). Going to head out to another session in an hour. I feel grateful to be at this conference. Four years ago I was just out of grad school and was terrified of not being able to get a job. I am so grateful for the opportunities I've been given. My new sober life is going to be about taking full advantage of those opportunities (this conference being one). Glad to be sober!

Incontrol I hope you feel better soon. I think seeing a doctor to deal with some of the deep down emotional stuff is a great idea - I'm contemplating doing the same thing for myself. Take care, everyone!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Glad you're thinking about the challenge OMD. It's a big one alright. Not something to take lightly.

I know what you mean about the swimming. It's something different. Part of a new life. When I broke up with the band I think in part I was breaking with a platform which I used to drink from. I was thinking about it. How I don't feel like performing or rehearsing anymore but I still get a buzz from picking up my guitar. I'm beginning to realize that it's nothing to do with music. It's about isolating myself from potentially difficult situations and from people who expect certain behavior from me. I'm beginning to understand why everyone talks about having to change your lifestyle when you go sober. I hooked up with a couple of guys I met online to jam the other day. Just by chance neither of them drink hardly at all. Maybe a fresh start with people who don't know the "old me".

Still, some of the old stuff is good or, as we've discussed, way better without that constant hangover!!! Just back from a 10km run, so shower time and then off to get the office open.

Have a great day all!!!
You're right Amp, it's complicated stuff. Pretty much all my long term friends have serious issues with alcohol - no surprises when you think about it I suppose. I hardly see them any more. I was thinking over the weekend I could do with some people with whom I have things in common because I can't shut myself out of a social life completely. The truth of the matter is I like myself much more now and certainly my family relationships are way better, but I still miss my friends. I guess I want them to accept the new me because I accept the old them. But they don't involve the new me in social things (basically drinking until oblivion) so that is that.

I think that apart from friendship issues and business challenges with having drinking clients there is nothing I think is potentially better with drinking. And yes, bashing out a 10k is infinitely more pleasurable!

I see Cauliflower has stepped up to your challenge. I am inching towards it. Just need to work a few things out. It's a good challenge though.

Cheers
OMD
Old 06-22-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
Check in.
Good to hear from you Johnny. Stay strong buddy. Get some rest, drink plenty of water and try to think objectively about what an amazing thing your body is. It will thank you many times over for having the chance to work properly again and not fight to survive. Everything used to hurt where it shouldn't - liver, kidneys etc. my body doesn't hurt in those places any more now - I eat well and drink water. And I swear my skin is totally different now. Go be good to yourself, and don't be so harsh on yourself for yesterday or any of the past. The only thing you can determine is today. Get today right and tomorrow will take care of itself.

Take care
OMD
Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Good morning all - catch up laggers.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Morning Zab
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

I'm up and atom. Er..at em.

None for me today.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Up and atom.

I went for a 3.5km walk on Sunday and I felt great doing it, but I was so tired yesterday. I really need to get myself into better shape. I used to run 5km every day, in the middle of winter even! I still feel beyond tired some days. I am eating better and taking vitamins. I will keep pushing myself to do light exercise everyday, even a 10 minute yoga session is better then nothing.

You guys talking about losing friends since quitting is pretty common. I have a friend who reaches out on facebook for nights out since she quit drinking 3 years ago. Me, I am rather reclusive, always have been. I enjoy small get togethers and do much better one on one then in large groups. I also enjoy my time alone. So, I don't have a lot of friends to lose to be begin with!

Well I better get this kid into the shower to wash his knees. I think his are even grass stained. I love summer!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Hi, check in. I did a lot of running around yesterday and got very little done. I did make a quick decision to get a skin care system at Sephora because these changes lately are making me aware of my skin, and it's been acting up. They were cool, it didn't cost a fortune and they went with a conservative approach.

Tried to get new hair trimmers because mine blew out on me. I buzz my head and beard clean every 3 days or whenever I feel like it. I just couldn't find anything that perfectly fit the bill. I wasted a lot of time with that.

Eventually started getting tired and very grouchy. Went home and chilled and went to bed.

So I have the name of a new doctor for a new perspective on my mental issues. I don't need to call 10 people. Every reference I got from professionals on Monday, was for the same Doc. I picked up a new med for my current doc. I'm terrified to take the new med and to call the new doctor. So I guess I need to do both, obviously.

Everything in my body is so tight. Obvious that a huge portion of my foot/ankle tendinitis is caused by them tightening up. Also been figured out that my calf is always flexed and pulling on everything. Stress and booze.

Tough couple of days ahead, I don't mind, I just would like to feel better in 10 days.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Up and atom is right=)

Johnny- I know things are really frustrating right now. But from an outside perspective it seems like you are making a great effort to manage your health care and well being, which is awesome =) Hope things continue on that path for you.

Day is going well for me. I have an exam later then another speech to prepare for. On July 1st we find out if we are moving or staying. Spain was on the list... We will probably stay in California though. Have a good one everybody.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
OMD

Just checking in quickly, in a hurry. None for me today.

Hope all are well
OMD
Old 06-23-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hey! Just touching base. Feeling really angry. A guy on another thread just told everyone that anyone can drink in moderation if they try. On a forum like this I think that'a really irresponsible (as well as inaccurate). I don't know what that guy is even doing here if he thinks that. Man! So, so wrong!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
OMD

Amp, on this forum anyone will know that's a non sequitur. If it's not a troll then in argument terms it's simply a case of nothing to see, please move on.

OMD
Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Guess you're right but you don't need to be reading that when you're feeling a bit fragile! Still, as you say, nothing to see here, move on...
Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hi all

I'm still here but wobbling again...I'm really sorry. I have a lot to deal with but I am trying to be strong. I am still in limbo land with my husband who is out of rehab and somewhere in Europe. He is not contacting me at all so I have contacted my lawyer about divorce proceedings. She has advised me that if I can cope with the psychological aspect of remaining married that it would be in my best interests to delay divorce proceedings. I think she thinks that given his alcohol history etc he is probably at the latter end of alcoholism....its so awful because I really did love him but somehow I have to keep my pecker up sorry Dee hope that's ok to say?

Not able to give much support to you all at the moment but hoping to be better able to in time...
M
Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are all doing well guys keep up the good work
Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Amp, OMG. Why would a guy even come on here to say that? Probably just to get people ticked off. Jerk. The thing is, we know the deal, it doesn't matter at all what he thinks.

Lily, Thanks!! Yes, despite drinking a bunch of times in the last couple months, I've made great strides in my maturity, and gained a lot of perspective on my health. And I'm figuring out my family. Also the change with my dad, even if temporary has me feeling so much safer.

I got nice food at WF again for the impending apocalypse in this State. Tornado warnings, flooding, blah blah. Usually all hype. We are not a tornado State, never going to happen. I would love some powerful thunderstorms tonight though.