Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Catch up laggers. It is almost weekend.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I haven't posted in a few days but I've been reading along. I'm on a work trip right now in Salt Lake City. Tonight we had an open bar happy hour and I had no desire to drink. I was slightly anxious beforehand (because I'm not a very outgoing person and don't particularly like small talk) but I thought of our group and one of my coworkers (who is very successful and does not drink) and that helped give me courage to go through the happy hour and dinner sober. And now I feel great! I'm so grateful to be in this city and have the opportunity to learn more about my profession and meet very talented and passionate people. I've felt so overcome with happiness that I just want to bottle the feeling - I'm not even sure how to express it (I've caught myself humming a lot - I used to never hum!). I don't think I can put it into words. I just want to thank you all for your support and honesty. It has helped me tremendously. I'll hit two months on the 21st and it feels so good to be free.

Huge thanks, big hugs and thumbs up - we ARE doing this!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear your event went well SwimKim

Morning Zab
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Good night Lily
Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Good morning all and happy Friday.

This video was a contributory factor in my decision to give up alcohol. Does it look familiar to anyone else?

http://io9.com/this-deceptively-cute...ors-1661191621
Old 06-19-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hi kids! Day 6 and Ebola is subsiding. Must be that miracle cure called 'not drinking.' I was right to just turn off yesterday. I spent a lot on dinner at the Whole Foods. Their absurdly priced pizza by the pound, pepperoni slab and roasted vegetable slab. A pound of crisp sliced cantaloupe (I had no energy to slice a cantaloupe). High alkaline water. $20 for dinner at home, but far less than $50, 3 times a week on booze. Honestly, I don't know where I was getting that money. It's not like I have much extra loot lying around. Although I certainly have more.

Housed the food, watched movie, bed. Woke before 9, immediately knew I was getting better.

Thank you all.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Johnny, that is great news. Build your strength, and work on those sober muscles. Whole Foods is grossly over priced if you ask me. I used to wonder through the deli at lunch time, I loved the olives and salads and the cheese....mmmm. Making me hungry now. Yesterday, know I didn't eat right, just munched on fruit and drank tons of water. Today, I will eat properly. It's part of my daily toolbox to nourish myself daily, and I've been ignoring that lately.

OMD, you sound like you are finding new ways to enjoy life and make yourself happy. I think that after detox, we all feel lighter, and notice the little things that we missed while in an alcoholic slumber. Like that little bird in the video AMP posted, the depression sinks in faster then we realized after continued drinking. I never really understood that alcohol was a depressant. How could it be? I used to feel relaxed, and giddy, and let go of all inhibitions. So I thought. After continued use, the depressant catches up; it happened to me so gradual, that I never put the two together. Now I am able to really take in what makes me happy. I have so much to be grateful for, and I can actually see it clearly now. I remember getting so angry with myself, telling myself to open my eyes and look around me. I have this great house on a lake, beautiful family, best husband anyone can ask for (although, he has his days! augh).

Amp, that guy from who is 37 years sober! Awesome life, I wonder if he is famous? I bet we listened to some of his music.

SwimKim, I am so glad you did so well at your work event. Nothing feels better then coming off an event like that completely in control and sober. I totally get your humming!

My night ended in a hot bath with a cup of steaming tea. I felt flu like symptoms, just achy all over and a chill that would not go away. I feel better this morning though, hoping it's just a little bug that went away in the night.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're on the mend Johnny
Old 06-19-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Good for you Johnny!

Cauliflower...in regards to food and sticking with the basics in general...ditto for me. I catch myself slipping into old habits frequently. Well, at least more than I would like.

There's a lot I learned as I went through early WD's about my body, mind, and soul. If I can manage to keep applying the basics then continue to build on them, I'll be unstoppable!

Here I am at 11am and still no breakfast. I want to figure out how I can get on routine and STICK with it. When I feel like butt munch, I put all my tools to use. When I feel good, I go on auto pilot.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Good for you Johnny!

Cauliflower...in regards to food and sticking with the basics in general...ditto for me. I catch myself slipping into old habits frequently. Well, at least more than I would like.

There's a lot I learned as I went through early WD's about my body, mind, and soul. If I can manage to keep applying the basics then continue to build on them, I'll be unstoppable!

Here I am at 11am and still no breakfast. I want to figure out how I can get on routine and STICK with it. When I feel like butt munch, I put all my tools to use. When I feel good, I go on auto pilot.
That is exactly how I am. How can I go a day without eating??! No wonder I feel like crap sometimes. I think its just been an emotional rollarcoaster lately. My step-monster told me that my sister-in-law felt that I was too frail, she said after she gave me a hug at the funeral service she thought there was just nothing to me. I've been through a lot lately, so I am going to start to take care of myself again. I just made myself two poached eggs on toast! No more autopilot.

My son is visiting this weekend with his girlfriend and my grand-daughter! I am so happy, I cannot wait to soak it all in. Sadly, the last time they visited for a whole weekend, I was trapped on the couch for all of one day due to major hangover. So this time it will be completely different! I just got a text that their car is all packed up and they are on their Way!!!!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Morning guys glad to hear things are looking better Johnny. The prices are high at whole foods but I like walking around in there and checking stuff out.

No traffic today so I arrived 45 min early to work haha at least I'm not late. Just hanging out waiting to go in. Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Cauli... Now THAT is awesome..son coming over. It's soo nice to replace regrettable memories with new fresh awesome ones! Very very cool.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

When I start feeling good I start disregarding the unbelievable will power I've built over the years, and the huge tool box of techniques I've mastered. It's utter stupidity.

We have all dealt with a lot of pain. We can endure sheer torture for months and years. But somehow, for me so far, that doesn't add up to sticking to an easy regimen of getting well.

The fearlessness and pain threshold I have in circumstances that would make a normal person pass out, are dwarfed by the terror I feel when I do everyday tasks.

Also I gotta defend the Whole Foods. I splurge now and then, but you need to shop smart in there . I do really well if I try and leave with awesome food at a decent price. I know a lot if people that went in there a few times and saw a small brick of cheese for $42 and flipped out, or who shopped indiscriminately and got hit for $150 for a small amount of groceries and were infuriated that they didn't happen see they were buying a $60 bottle if olive oil from a tiny island off Crete. WF 365 brand is excellent and cheap. Also if you eat 'health foods,' rice milk, tofu, hummus, etc., you cannot beat their prices. I won't eat meat from anywhere else and I need my meat products. At least they try to have humane and clean standards. So that's my 2 cents. Eating really healthy does help the depression, so it's worth the price. But certain things like the olive bar and hot food buffet are highway robbery.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

It's nothing to drink over, but I went to my brother's to pick something up and while I was there my nephew answered the phone and I could tell it was my father. Invited them to lunch with the family today and he sounded all chipper on the phone from what I could here. Did I get a call? No.

I left without the thing I went to pick up. Just said, yeah I gotta go.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hi all

Well I have picked up my 11 year old son from 5 days spent doing outdoor adventure training on the Brecon Beacons. For those of you who aren't from this country the Brecon Beacons are pretty bleak and wild.

I was expecting to spend the whole of this evening washing everything...but no! There was just one half full black bin liner of clothes...everything else was still as I had neatly packed it. This means he has spent the entire 5 days in virtually the same clothes....When I grilled him as to whether he had had a shower he said he had so I can only assume that he just got straight back into those same clothes. Oh well less washing for me

Hope everyone is doing ok and looking forward to a good weekend

M
Old 06-19-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Good going Johnny, Kim, IC and all! Martina your son never had a shower all week and probably slept in his clothes too but I bet he was happy to be home.

That was a good vid Amp, very familiar. I'm feeling like I am starting to fly a bit again

This morning my daughter said "daddy whichever way I stand I feel like the sun is shining at me". I carried that thought through the day.

We are all going great!

Best wishes
OMD
Old 06-19-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Good morning all and happy Friday.

This video was a contributory factor in my decision to give up alcohol. Does it look familiar to anyone else?

This Deceptively Cute Animation Illustrates The Horrors Of Addiction
Amp... What a fab way of describing the initial allure of drinking and then the later effects....thank you for sharing I really needed this to remind me...
M
Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
It's nothing to drink over, but I went to my brother's to pick something up and while I was there my nephew answered the phone and I could tell it was my father. Invited them to lunch with the family today and he sounded all chipper on the phone from what I could here. Did I get a call? No.

I left without the thing I went to pick up. Just said, yeah I gotta go.
that used to sting me too Johnny - but then I thought - would I really want to be there anyway?

D
Old 06-19-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Martina that Brecon Beacon spot looks like I place I'd love. That is totally awesome experience for your son.

Dee, no I don't won't to be there. And there ain't gonna be no Fathers Day on the docket for me either. I can't wait to get my own money together so I don't have to think about this and frankly, to gain the ability to tell him to 'screw off.'

I'm trying to put my head around nontraditional income. Working for myself or freelancing. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover psychiatry worth diddly so I still need extra money for that.

I'd love a week with my buddy in Barcelona. All he does is put together schemes to make tons of money. He's a Yes guy. No is not in his vocabulary. If he absolutely doesn't know how to do something he fakes being an expert. If a company says no to a deal, that means they just haven't said yes yet. My problem is that I do not think that way.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Hi all!! Thank you all so much for the support!! I'm feeling so much better. I honestly felt like I was having a little bit of a breakdown but I didn't drink a drop of alcohol to get through it. For the last five years, that's where I turned to numb it all. This time I stared my issues down and went through it with a clear mind. I went to the doctor and I'm on new meds that hopefully will help with the depression and anxiety. It's not a high dosage but my doctor wants to try this first. My blood pressure is still a little high but I'm on meds for that too. I want to be around a very long time and I'm trying to take better care of myself.

I went to talk to the manager today about a new position in the same department but a different area and it went really well! She likes me and has known me for 7 1/2 years. She used to be my supervisor but they moved her to a different section of the department. She knows I will give it my all. *fingers crossed*

I really ant to thank all of you for being here for me. It means so much and I can't thank you all enough. This is the only emotional support that I have and I want to do better about giving support too. Hope everyone is doing well and that everyone has a great weekend!!