Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Well, just got back from a 10km run along the beach. After all the driving yesterday I thought I could do with loosening up. While I was out a couple of things dawned on me...

First that Incontrol and I make 8 weeks today and that cauliflower does the same tomorrow.

Second that one of my arms is a bit stiff (probably from the driving yesterday). Anyway, when I run my mind tends to wander a bit so first I had this paranoia about how a pain in your arm is a symptom that you might be going to have a heart attack, but since I'm used to my own paranoid tendencies I ignored myself and continued running. The thought process continued to the question about, were I to drop down dead (I know, I scare myself too) would my final thoughts be, "Man, I can't believe I just wasted my last eight weeks trying to get sober when I could have been partying!"...or something different... And then I realized that I wouldn't think that at all. In fact I'd probably think the opposite. That the last 8 weeks have been the most worthwhile thing I've done and I would only wish that I had started sooner.

Don't know if that makes any sense but it brought home to me how important all this is.

Have a great day!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Makes sense to me Amp.
Sometimes I get a little depressed because I wish I had started sobriety sooner. Then my rational side kicks in and says why be sad that I didn't start sooner when I could be happy that I am finally sober!?

Crazy way of thinking. Really proves to me how destructive my own thought processes can be.

Well...gonna get out of bed and start me day.
Have a great day everyone!

None for me today.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Amp and Inc. the way you are thinking just proves that you are in a great place in your life, like you finally found the one path that always eluded you. To me, it's similar to my being jealous of my friends who are celebrating their ridiculously long marriage, something like 20 years and they are in their late 30's. They met "the one" in grade 7. I wish that I met my husband in grade 7, well that would be weird because he is 11 years older!. I realize that I can't change that, so I am just grateful to have the time that we have had together, and make the most out of everyday. We can only be grateful for the present, and presently we are sober!

Day 55, half way through the month of June and in just two short weeks my son will be done school for the summer. Last night, when we were planning our summer vacation out east, my husband said to me, "To bad you quit drinking, you could visit some wineries." I just responded, "Been there, done that!" He backtracked his insensitive comment though and we talked about why I quit, and I was relieved to get it out in the open. He is very happy that I am living sober.

Oh, yes, my step monster visit should be interesting. She drinks a lot of wine, so much so that with what I know now, I know she has a problem. She has all the classic symptoms, yet she constantly talks about her alcoholic sisters. She is not a binge drinker, but she drinks daily. Back in the day when she first met my dad, she used to drink wine in tea cups and empty coke cans! Her anxiety will go through the roof when she realizes that I have no wine, and have no intention of picking any up. Maybe she won’t visit often knowing she can’t drink here, so it’s a win win.

Ok, time to get some work done! I love my life! Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Lol...step monster.

And the wine in coke cans is funny. One of my favorite episodes of "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" had them all drinking wine out of coke cans. Freakin hilarious episode that also included a very funny "intervention" for Frank (Danny Devito).
Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

That show is hilarious! I've only seen a few episodes from the early seasons, and not seen that one, but I can just imagine the fiasco they get themselves into.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Ah yes, wine in the coffee mug...that was one of my favorite "tricks" as well!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I have also been known to indulge in that particular maneuver...
Old 06-15-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hello just checking in. Happy fun day Monday everyone !!! Things are going good on this end. Hope the same for all of you.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Good vibes on here today

70 days here or if you prefer 10 weeks

Hope all is well with you all

OMD
Old 06-15-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats OMD

Have a good week everyone

D
Old 06-15-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!! I'm having a great Monday and I slept awesome last night. I've been sober for 7 weeks today. Will hit day 50 tomorrow, yay! Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again Angie

D
Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Just saying good night.
Tomorrow is the funeral, and I am trying my hardest to ignore the old AV...its like I feel as though I am giving myself permission to have a glass of wine tomorrow. I know in my heart that I will struggle with the decision, I don't want to take that first drink. I am so scared of this addiction, its grip is so strong, I hope I am stronger.

If by chance I find myself in a difficult situation, I will take a walk, or sneak away for a cigarette. I won't and don't have any wine in my home, so its my safe place. Having to plan ahead for situations that may not even transpire is actually causing me unnecessary anxiety! This sucks. Tomorrow will be tough emotionally as it is, then add the whole not drinking thing into the mix, augh. I will check in often.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

PS, huge congratulations to OMD and Angie! wtg
Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll all be with you Cauliflower - you can do this

D
Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hey Cauliflower! It is your decision to stay sober because you decide whether or not you pick up that first drink. The loss of a dear friend is bad enough. Don't let it take your sobriety too! Stay strong for his memory, for yourself and for those around you.

Everyone here is feeling for you and rooting for you right now. Prove to yourself that you CAN stay sober even in the absolutely most adverse circumstances. Remember your strategies, get out for those walks, count down the hours, eat sweet stuff when you feel really tempted! We're al rooting for you!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
Just saying good night.
Tomorrow is the funeral, and I am trying my hardest to ignore the old AV...its like I feel as though I am giving myself permission to have a glass of wine tomorrow. I know in my heart that I will struggle with the decision, I don't want to take that first drink. I am so scared of this addiction, its grip is so strong, I hope I am stronger.

If by chance I find myself in a difficult situation, I will take a walk, or sneak away for a cigarette. I won't and don't have any wine in my home, so its my safe place. Having to plan ahead for situations that may not even transpire is actually causing me unnecessary anxiety! This sucks. Tomorrow will be tough emotionally as it is, then add the whole not drinking thing into the mix, augh. I will check in often.
Sending lots of positive vibes of strength Cauliflower. Play the tape forward, it looks like you have already come up with strategies to get through the day. What will you drink instead?

Someone said on here 'that its the first drink that's the problem not the last' that helps me so hoping it might help you too...

Keep us updated with how you are getting on...
M
Old 06-15-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Btw Cauliflower, I believe you make 8 weeks today. That is an amazing feet! Congratulations on that and I hope that mile stone also gives you strength and the inspiration you need!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Congrats angie - way to go.

Cauliflower, try to remember all the little weapons that you have in your arsenal against the AV and baby steps.

Well, I cant say "catch up laggers" this morning, but I can say catch up ZAB
Old 06-16-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Ahh yes - congrats OMD