Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 08-01-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I had the car keys on my hand on a set of rings which included the house keys etc. These are separate key Ron's that are inter connected. You can slide each set of rings off if you wish. I think that the car keys worked their way to the edge and nust fell off when I tossed my clubs in the trunk. I just didn't notice it and closed the trunk. At that point I was ******,
Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
waking down

Bummer.

Oh, and that song...it's obviously about gambling but I always felt like it was more about gambling with your life. "Don't you let that deal go down..." I never gambled much with money; just my life... In Jerry's latter years I used to watch him sing Loser and knew in my heart by the way he sang it that he wasn't really talking about cards. Dang. Happy Birthday, Jerry.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

looks to be a nice day here... hopefully I get something accomplished

I was never a fan of the grateful dead or much of the stuff JG did that sounded like the dead... but that's just me, I do like the some of the stuff he did with David Grisman and a few others tho... I believe because he was known as THE Grateful Dead it simply overshadowed his musical genius a bit. People who didn't care for the dead never got a chance to hear his other stuff and collaborations...

His greatest contribution to my life was Cherry Garcia ice cream from those two hippie dudes.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
waking down

Jerry was an acquired taste. I was dragged to a show in 1977 when I was in high school and that was that. A solo during Sugaree tore my heart out. They were still great live (on and off) for the next ten years, but their studio work after Terrapin Station mostly lacked spark and creativity. Drugs. I saw a lot of shows in that ten years, but after that it was mostly just about the scene; the latter shows were often painful. Still, they had their moments. The stuff with Grisman mostly came later, after Jerry's comas (86-87?). Grisman helped him re-learn how to play. The early Grisman/Garcia collaborations with Peter Rowan were awesome. There have been new releases of that Old and In the Way material from the early 70's. Good stuff.

When Jerry was on he was unbelievable. It's hard to explain, but recordings just don't do it justice. I've seen lots of Dead cover bands and post-Dead (Furthur, The Dead, The Other Ones...) bands with guys stepping into Jerry's place, and though some of them were actually more proficient guitarists than Jerry (in part because they weren't on heroin), no one could match Jerry's ability to convey emotion through his guitar and voice. I've seen Jerry sing Morning Dew not knowing if it was sweat or tears rolling down his cheats, and wondering if his voice cracking was because he was crying or something else.

Those who get it get it. Those who don't don't care if they get it or not. The last time I saw Jerry I left the show thinking I never wanted to see the Grateful Dead again. Little did I know that would actually be my last Dead show. That was the summer he died. He was a tortured soul (which made his music often very powerful), and a victim of his own choices. His zest for life was equaled by his sense of tragedy and horror; the combination killed him. To this day, when I'm depressed I'll pick up my guitar and play Black Peter or Wharf Rat or Comes a Time or Stella Blue and tap into the pain. The trick is releasing it rather than feeding it.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

One of things about the dead for me growing up is that I associated it with drugs and "heads" and I didn't want to associate myself with "that" crowd. Kinda funny. I was more of a main stream/classic rock kinda guy. But I did have a lot of obscure music. As I got older I expanded my musical interests and have a wide variety of music, a full collection of classical music, an extensive blues collection some library of congress recordings that were saved and remastered. A lot of very old stuff. But every time I hear the dead it all sounds the same to me. Of course there ARE some dead tunes I recognize and enjoy.

I did enjoy the "The Other One, The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir" on netflix. I watched it twice. Very good if you get a chance to see it.
Maybe if I was a little older? Maybe?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'd like Workman's Dead American Beauty era Dead LB.
It's pretty accessible - based in roots/country/blues.

I pretty much liked everything Jerry did. My favourite Jerry tune to sing is Sugaree, but my favorite Jerry song would be Deal (not a million miles away from Loser).

That solo screams

D
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
waking down

I really liked when Jerry Garcia Band played Deal. They often closed the first set with it, which made everyone pumped for more. Workingman's and Beauty were the finest Dead from their folk/country vein. Blues for Allah and Aoxomoxoa were good studio albums for the weirdness and jazz influences. But there was nothing like a Grateful Dead concert.

I knew lots of folks who didn't listen to the Dead much less go to shows cuz they couldn't deal with the deadheads. The fanaticism got old to be sure, and this is coming from a guy who saw Jerry probably 200 times. Still, in the 80's while I was seeing all those shows I was also tapping into everything from Talking Heads and Dead Kennedys to Albert Collins and Peter Tosh and Little Feat... I really like chamber music, especially Baroque, and I've been known to attend a Fred Frith or Daevid Allen show on occasion. I got beat up at a Flipper show by some skinheads because of my long hair and tie-dye. I think that's when I quit wearing dyes and Dead shirts. I almost got skewered by a flying mic stand at a riot at a Crucifux show but I was way too high to be concerned. I hitchhiked from Colorado to New York to California and back more than once just chasing shows, often supplementing my income selling bagels in parking lots or busking.

I still maintain a more controlled but adventurous spirit with a love for most all kinds of music. In June I went to the electronica fest I think I told you about, and this weekend I'm going to a little camping fest with The Traveling McCoury's and New Orleans Suspects and other great funk and bluegrass bands. Music has always been my drug of choice.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

interesting that I pretty much know all the songs from those two dead albums... hmmmmmmm? growing up, my connection to music was AM radio in the kitchen of my house and some old 45s my brother had and played on his stereophonic record player. I guess they were new in the early 60's.
I'm living vicariously through you zero going to see all the music you do.
Getting married certainly put the breaks on things. If I was single I'd be going to every bluegrass fest and live music I can. A couple years ago I took the wife to a fiddler's picnic. All bluegrass. It was like dragging a two year old around. I wanted to hang out with every jam under the trees away from the stage and she all kept asking was,"When are we going home?" Drove me nuts.

I saw that Del McCoury (not the traveling brand of mccoury) is going to be in NC in about 10 days at a festival. I'm going to my sister in Georgia and will be passing Asheville NC on the way back. If I don't drag a trailer with a load of stuff from her garage, I might spend a night or two there.

Yesterday my birthday present finally arrived. My birthday was in March and I got an amazon gift card... I got books 1 and 2 of Steve Kaufman's Parking Lot Pickers series for mandolin. I've read good things about them and it was what my teacher used for beginners. Each has 6 CDs as well. Each song is arranged for beginner, intermediate and advanced. Lately I decided to go backwards and start over again with notation. Learning songs using TAB is quick and easy, but in the long run I believe it leaves one behind in the dirt. My biggest problem is finding the right glasses to read the sheets. I just got a new pair of glasses that are great for reading and long distance. But trying to read anything from 2 feet away is useless. Unless I transpose everything into HUGE print. This in-between vision thing is frustrating. That's why tab is so much easier, don't have to lean in real close to see if it's a line or a space... The troubles I have to deal with...
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  
waking down

The "traveling brand" are Del's sons with other guys. This show will basically be Del's band with Billy Nershi from String Cheese in his place.

My wife used to go to shows with me, but once she stopped drinking and smoking weed she had no interest. Lucky for me she's fine with me taking off once every month or two for shows or a fest. Keeps me sane.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

You guys are pretty wired into music today. It's alive for you, and engages you. Which is as it should be.
I get music from my daughter, who's pretty current. Was listening to something in her kitchen yesterday on a visit to the Big City; 2 year old and 13 year old were kind of doing funky simple rhythm moves to it as we prepared dinner. I thought it sounded punk, and liked it. Daughter says, yes: 1978, some band from NY, gave me the back story. Loved it.
I remember my brother buying an actual Elvis 78 of Teddy Bear, which first shaped my musical world. late 50's.
Then Phil Sphincter's wall of sound conditioned my pubescent years. Beatles in there too. Sgt. Pepper's part of early acid experience. Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.
John Prine and the Eagles on bar juke boxes in the mid 70's. Glenn Gould's Bach and Satie slipped in there somehow. Now, it's listening to oldies stuff, or current Jazz. Dire Straits, Neil Young. Collected 78s in the mid 70's. Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson. Jazz from the 40's and 50's. A fat dinner plate of a disc from 1926, odd imprint of race from a different era. We all love our music in our own ways.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
waking down

Check out Neil's new thing: Neil Young + Promise Of The Real - The Monsanto Years
Old 08-04-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Neil's still working. Good stuff. Working with kids, looks like...
Old 08-04-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
waking down

That's Lukas Nelson's band (Willy's son).
Old 08-05-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
Another grandkid arrived, a beautiful little girl. Life is good.
Congratulations! How is she doing?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
and discovered a "new" show on netflix, Supernatural.
I love Supernatural! I have watched all of the seasons - it's up to season 10 now and I am about half way through. I am not loving this season so far. Its ok. I think you have to watch them all to really get the storylines and relationships between characters.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Finally had the apt with the neurosurgeon today. He referred me for a nerve root block, which the stupid neurologist could have done when this all started nearly 8 weeks ago! Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wake up with muscle spasms in my back every night and pain every day. It sucks. I'm tired. I want a drink.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

I drank nearly three bottles of wine yesterday. Pretty disgusted with myself.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

When's the surgery, TL? I think your life will simplify after the pain diminishes. Don't be hard on yourself: your neck nerves seem to be handling that file very adequately.

The new baby is doing very well. Tiny tiny tiny. You forget how we all begin in this life. Quite beautiful and innocent. And the parents rock.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

hi TL, I was thinking a nerve root block sounds much better than drinking, then I read that you drank in the next post...
I hope this gets taken care of as soon as can be, then you can relax some and get your head straight... but you know it's never too early to put down the bottle... 3 bottles must have you feeling pretty bad eh?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I drank nearly three bottles of wine yesterday. Pretty disgusted with myself.
So sorry you're suffering so much from all this pain Tiger Lili. It must be awful. Just put the wine behind you and move on. We've all been there. Positive thoughts to you.