View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
jackrussell

You guys are pretty wired into music today. It's alive for you, and engages you. Which is as it should be.
I get music from my daughter, who's pretty current. Was listening to something in her kitchen yesterday on a visit to the Big City; 2 year old and 13 year old were kind of doing funky simple rhythm moves to it as we prepared dinner. I thought it sounded punk, and liked it. Daughter says, yes: 1978, some band from NY, gave me the back story. Loved it.
I remember my brother buying an actual Elvis 78 of Teddy Bear, which first shaped my musical world. late 50's.
Then Phil Sphincter's wall of sound conditioned my pubescent years. Beatles in there too. Sgt. Pepper's part of early acid experience. Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.
John Prine and the Eagles on bar juke boxes in the mid 70's. Glenn Gould's Bach and Satie slipped in there somehow. Now, it's listening to oldies stuff, or current Jazz. Dire Straits, Neil Young. Collected 78s in the mid 70's. Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson. Jazz from the 40's and 50's. A fat dinner plate of a disc from 1926, odd imprint of race from a different era. We all love our music in our own ways.