Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

that clip led me to the other gondola clips....

I remember being told to sloooooooooow down. Of course every rookie wants to pick fast and furious. I need to focus on slow and exact for a good year before I turn up the speed.

I wish I could go back in time and put as much effort into music as I had into drinking. I'd be famous - or at least pdg.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

The old baseball pitcher, Satchel Page, was right Brain. "Never look back - someone might be gaining on you." I would do many things differently myself. All I have is the future.

Interesting discussion about diet and exercise as well as medication. Statins are the subject of debate. I'm on the lowest dose. But medication alone won't do the job. It has to be supported by a sensible exercise program and healthy diet. Everyone is unique.

I wish we had the land to plant a garden on like you, Z and Jack. The pukes at our HOA won't even let us hang tomatoes in a pot.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Migod, Vet. I've never seen such language from you before: 'the pukes'!?
Second time today I've read that expression. Earlier, reading stories in Olive Kitteridge, Olive's son asks his mom to come visit his home, things are tough, his wife is pregnant and has 'the pukes'.
You might enjoy connecting with a community garden in your area, if there are such things there? Gardening rocks.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Have a good weekend all. Heading to Atlanta to do work at my sister's place.
Handyman training for sure. Everything from electrical to plumbing and in between. I just hope it isn't too stinkin hot.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Trails LB

D
Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
Migod, Vet. I've never seen such language from you before: 'the pukes'!?
Second time today I've read that expression. Earlier, reading stories in Olive Kitteridge, Olive's son asks his mom to come visit his home, things are tough, his wife is pregnant and has 'the pukes'.
You might enjoy connecting with a community garden in your area, if there are such things there? Gardening rocks.
Yeah I forgot myself a bit JR. The HOA really not piks around here. They come in your yard and take pictures if they don't like something. It's annoying. Except for them I like it here.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
waking down

Hope y'all are good. I'm feeling great right now. Clean and clear and stronger every day. Surgeries seem history and I'm cleared to lift and mow. Even tackled the weedeater, and I'm resisting anything for aches and pains for now. I swear if I just let myself hurt I feel better in the morning.

Anyway...stuff to do.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I watched a Seinfeld episode last night where Jerry's dad get voted out of the presidency of the home owners associated after the son gives him a Cadillac... they accused him of stealing money from the kitty,,

And I watched the news this morning - good thing I don't watch the news often... the world is nuts

In other news, I went shopping for a light fixture - can have one here be next week after I leave... need to continue my search, she already bought one but it's going back...

need to engineer a plumbing fix for busted pipe, whoever installed this must still be laughing to themselves
Old 08-14-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Sugar arrived, big time, in this house yesterday. Kids visited and brought cartons of huge dripping butter tart squares and lemon squares on substantial crusts. They were 4x4 inch squares. I know that these are absolutely delicious. But to my credit, I nibbled only. And sent the bulk home with kids.
I know people who would have devoured the whole lot in one sitting.

Enjoy the plumbing, LB. I always like it. Not always deadly efficient, but usually get the work done. And so satisfying to turn on a new tap and hear a few burps, then see that water flow.

Good to see you doing so well, Z. Sounding better every post.

Off to warm lake with family for most of the next week. A bit of dog leash training is in the cards. Toddlers working on sand castles on the beach. Some things never change.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
waking down

So damn busy, but at least I'm feeling better. I oscillate between being grateful just to be alive and feeling like what life I have left is being consumed by pointless minutia. We need to sell this inn. Tired of making beds and cleaning toilets. It's not why I went to grad school, that's for sure. Once it's sold I'm gonna quit my job and move on to something more meaningful. On the one hand I know I have it better than 95% of the people in the world, and on the other hand I'm convinced I was meant to do something more. I want to use my creativity and my intelligence rather than going from a government job that has me dinking around with meaningless crap and then going home just to kiss more asses. This may sound negative, but I'm actually in a good mood. Just tired from working all weekend and thinking about going back to my Monday morning "real" job. Three more years and I can draw retirement. I need to make this a worthwhile three years.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

ha, thanks zero... as for being "in between" jobs, I am reminded why I am not in a hurry to get back into the a-kissing routine for meaningless money...

a guy told me at the home center yesterday I would make a killing down hear being a handy man... I also talked with a gent who pulls in 60K exclusively doing ebay. goes to thrift stores and yard sales and focuses on only one item.
he is going to mentor me

I may have to add an ebay reference to my business cards... "LBrain - handyman/stud service. Check out my ebay site for exclusive offers"

Discovered living creatures within the walls of this house. At first I was thinking squirrels, but after putting up a ladder at the opening, I suspect bats.

Definitely a job for the pros.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
waking down

Stud service, eh? You're not really considering pimping yourself out, are you?

Here's my new thing: I am happier, less stressed, and more productive when I basically don't give a ****. Lucky for me and my employers, I no longer really give a ****.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
waking down

Bats. Can't live with them; can't live without them.

We had bats in our attic. Beware, the guano can be deadly. I was lucky to still be breathing when I learned that. I was cutting some lathe and plaster with a sawsall from the ceiling to access an impossible space when a chunk dropped and I was showered in black dust and pellets. A petrified bat carcass bounced off my head as a bonus. Humidity + heat + guano = dang stanky. Can't kill them here. It's the law. So we set up a screen or one way door (http://www.batmanagement.com/havebats/nuisance.html) so bats could get out but not back in. I also used a case of caulk to plus the gaps in the siding and then had to paint. And it was high. My house is four stories and we're talking dormers up top. Just a couple more reasons I say I'm lucky to be alive.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

glad you are feeling better zero, living with some pain and waking up not feeling like crap seems a decent trade off...

I was actually on that site you linked yesterday. After I found out it will cost about 1500 or whatever for the bat people to come uot and do the same thing. the inspection is 150. I was going to set up a video camera yesterday to 'watched' the opening for a couple hours. But we had horrible thunder and lightening storms here. I heard some movement in the walls and took camera out on tripod to look in opening. Well because my sister keeps this house like a refrigerator, the entire camera fogged up - from 60's to 90 outside with 100% humidity -- not good for electronics...

finally finished replacing lights in kitchen after realizing this old house will not have flat ceilings unless it is completely replaced... a couple hours working on one fancy light contraption, after I exchanged it for a simple round light fixture it took less than ten minutes to install it -- but it is good experience, rather to learn these things doing free work than charging some old lady... between here and home I am gaining valuable experience - refresher training call it...
Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
waking down

We figured out where the bats were coming and going by just sitting across the street in the neighbors yard at dusk. Once we identified their entry spot, I used a staple gun to affix a screen in such a way the the bats could exit the hole and drop down and out, but they couldn't figure out how to reenter. In September they migrate, so once the activity subsided, we removed the screen and plugged the hole. In the meantime I had plugged all other possible entrances (that I could see). I don't think we trapped any in there to die. In the fall when temperatures cooled I cleaned out what I could and didn't find any dead bats. Some guano remains but it's only detectable when it is hot and humid, and even then most people don't seem to notice or just think it's old house old wood smell. Kind of nutty. Mmmmm...guano... Beats floor pie even.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

I didn't have to time to watch for bats - especially because of the rain storms the past couple days. So I went with bats and installed my one way bat device, mesh galvanized screen with escape tube. Last night the trapped varmit was going berserk trying to get out. So I had to go up in the dark (and wet) to remove device I installed with screws using a drill motor. Update later...
Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Removed a bat delicately from the house last week. Used one of the grandkid's frog catching nets. Trapped in the dining room. Tried a towel first, but the net worked easily. It came in through the chimney, I think. Felt like God when I released it, with love. If you could feel love for a bat invading your space, I felt it.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Boy you guys really have some projects going. You can have the bats. We completely rehabed our interior this summer. I didn't do it personally or the house would collapse.

Where's everybody else- Tiger Lili, Muhv, etc. They seem to have dropped out of sight. Hope everyone is ok.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

I am here, reading every day. I had a binge week and after that I decided to get that antabuse implant that does not let me drink for 5 years. Previously I had a shot that should have kept me away from drinking for a year, but that lasted only 1,5 months when I decided to try again and well, that ended with a week long binge.
So next week I get that implant. Can't wait. At the moment I am taking some tablets every morning. This lasts for 24H. But I feel so much better taking these pills, it is so much easier to know that I can not even think about drinking.
Anyways, in general I am fine, just can't wait for next week.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are taking steps to help you stay off the drink Muhv.
But I worry that you "need" this to stop you from drinking. What is the underlying factor that "causes" you to drink when not on antabuse?
This is an aid to get you over a hump I believe. You must also work on you own 'mind control' efforts to stop drinking. If suddenly these drugs disappeared, how would you prevent yourself from drinking? That is something you must work on. Depending on a pill for the fear factor shouldn't be the one thing that keeps you from drinking.
Glad you are reading, stop in and say hello more oftern. I was thinking the same thing - where is everyone?