View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
LBrain

interesting that I pretty much know all the songs from those two dead albums... hmmmmmmm? growing up, my connection to music was AM radio in the kitchen of my house and some old 45s my brother had and played on his stereophonic record player. I guess they were new in the early 60's.
I'm living vicariously through you zero going to see all the music you do.
Getting married certainly put the breaks on things. If I was single I'd be going to every bluegrass fest and live music I can. A couple years ago I took the wife to a fiddler's picnic. All bluegrass. It was like dragging a two year old around. I wanted to hang out with every jam under the trees away from the stage and she all kept asking was,"When are we going home?" Drove me nuts.

I saw that Del McCoury (not the traveling brand of mccoury) is going to be in NC in about 10 days at a festival. I'm going to my sister in Georgia and will be passing Asheville NC on the way back. If I don't drag a trailer with a load of stuff from her garage, I might spend a night or two there.

Yesterday my birthday present finally arrived. My birthday was in March and I got an amazon gift card... I got books 1 and 2 of Steve Kaufman's Parking Lot Pickers series for mandolin. I've read good things about them and it was what my teacher used for beginners. Each has 6 CDs as well. Each song is arranged for beginner, intermediate and advanced. Lately I decided to go backwards and start over again with notation. Learning songs using TAB is quick and easy, but in the long run I believe it leaves one behind in the dirt. My biggest problem is finding the right glasses to read the sheets. I just got a new pair of glasses that are great for reading and long distance. But trying to read anything from 2 feet away is useless. Unless I transpose everything into HUGE print. This in-between vision thing is frustrating. That's why tab is so much easier, don't have to lean in real close to see if it's a line or a space... The troubles I have to deal with...