Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 9

Old 10-09-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Thanks, Apple. I had really planned to celebrate Day 57 - - certainly not worried sick about my brother at an old friend's funeral!

I would love to hear from knb, Pink and DingoDog, too !
I checked in on dingo and there hasn't been a post in several days in the October group. Just left a visitor message. Also messaged pink.

My hubby has a work happy hour tonight. I used to not mind his happy hours or late client meetings because I could start my own happy hour.....er, continue it. Now it just means trying to get the two crazy kiddos in bed on my own, sober, and earlyish, so I can escape to the bubble bath or my bed for some mindless TV. The reward is just as good, but it's always slightly annoying for a minute to do it all solo - with no hubby AND no wine.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Nice Job on 60 Hobbers!
Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
2 months, or 60 days, for me TODAY! *****!

I am glad I made it, and I cannot wait to hit 90 days!

Also, semi-related, I finished Phase One of my IOP program yesterday- I 'graduate' to Phase Two on Monday. I am just super glad I made it through 'something', and did pretty well throughout.
yeahhhhhhhh Hobbers!! Way to hang tough and reap the rewards!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Congrats everyone on all of your milestones! calichris enjoy ur trip bud.. U deserve it. . I saw a post earllllly this am that Pink had clicked the Thanks on..and I'll msg Dingo. We used to message before. Day 13 have a great one folks. *hugs* to Scooter <3
Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Morning folks!!

London thanks for the shout out hun! I'm doing good, day 42/6 weeks today :-)

Jeeeeeeez has this week been busy!!!

Just making dinner will post later

Massive hugs for grateful and scooter. Xxx
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Every now and then I have an ugly drinking memory pop into my head and it makes me shudder. Everything that I've ever been ashamed of has resulted from drinking. I can't believe I still want it from time to time. Madness.

I ran 2 miles today. Figure I'll try to drop some pounds before I push myself on distance.

Day 7 + 50.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Blimey great to be back guys, this week has been a whirlwind
Im really touched by all the mentions, big hug to you all xx

Im doing good on day 42, my work has been so busy ive been going in early, coming home late, barely time to turn around, have only worked and slept since Sunday, great to read the thread today and see all of that team august support going to those who need it, it is so good to be a part of that team!! Great bews today – i went grocery shopping and saw the tesco lady again! She clocked me right away and followd me for about 10 minutes, she thinks im cuckoo. I performed, as expected, and managed to sneak a cucumber, a pair of socks and some tennis balls in her trolley. I know i will not go to heaven, but this is a special bond we have now. If she’s convinced Im crazy, i don’t want to disappoint her!!! Proud to say i did not publicly shout at the AV once today.

apple, thanks for the PM chick x that quote is fab, Im pinching it!! Fabulous on 52 days there!!!

Rah, glad the Op went well and you’re recovering well too, lots of TLC for you!!

Scooter, Im sorry to hear things are tough at the mo. Just Be There for your brother, you cant fix him, or his things, just like he cant fix you, just be there, I wish you well and am thinking of you, bless your heart xxx be strong xxx much love xxx day 57 will still be special to you, youve earnt this scooter, grab it with both hands xxx thanks for the mention sweety!

Grateful, there are no words to really ease the huge blow you have had, but know that here, there is love for you and respect for you, please don’t succumb to this situation and prove those B*****ds right. Love and hugs to you, you dear dear friend xxx keep strong xxx
I am so proud of both of you x

London, Im still alive, and im good! I tried your tin man pie(?) – it was vile!!! Going to have a look on amazon for that book, think i would enjoy it.

Napster, well done on the industry event – free bars are always a challenge!!

Penkins, you are doing so well, so glad the physical withdrawal is calming down –
nasty stuff!!

Clear eyes, congrats on 50 days! Way to go 

1step thanks for the mention, Im good hun, hope you’re well too x

BBF, proud of you with your inspiration to run the marathon, go girl!!

Glandon – 2 months!!! Its racking up fast now, proud of you!!

Chris your 60th celebration sounds awesome, have the most wonderful time, you
deserve it xxx

KNB= miss you honey, hope you’re ok xxx

Ultra good luck for your run Saturday, rooting for you!!!

Choobie – glad the dentist wasn’t too bad – not too much candy now!!!

Hobbers, 60 days is fantastic!!!! Congratulations xx

Dingo – hope youre ok......??

Cute, day 13 already! Real proud  thanks for the mention, bless you x

sorry if ive forgotten anything......there was a lot to catch up on!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Saved the best for last huh? *hairflip. Hahaha jk. Your Tesco trolley dropping sounds fun! Hahaha. Made me LOL.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

lol cute :-)
Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Posting on my way home. I got through my client dinner. I was dreading it but it was really fun. A little bit of questioning over not drinking, nothing major. They drank but I didn't. I can do business and deals just as well without the alcohol, in fact realise I can do it bl**dy better!

Will read up on you all today when I get home :-)
Old 10-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

fantastic London, the power is yours!!!! massive pat on your back hun, well done :-)
Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hey all

I had a good day. I am exhausted but in a good, productive way. Just munching on some chocolate as I didn't have dessert at the dinner. Oink oink.

Scooter - I am learning a lot from you as you go through this. You have a lot of strength. All you can do is be there for him. Keep going, and your day 57 can still be special for you.

Choobie - love your inspiring posts as always. Glad your dental stuff went well. I am almost there on that, hope to be fixed up soon too.

Apple - hope you managed to get some r&r time this evening

Napster - hope you rocked the preso

Grateful - I loved seeing your check in when I woke up this morning. Team August power.

Glandon - rockin two months my friend. Cleareyes - magic 50, well done. Hobbers, great on 60 and like you have eyes on 90!

Calichris - enjoy your celebration ! I would live to know why the river is called the Russian river? Curious!

Ultra - keep on with that running. Very inspiring. And BBF what a great plan to make for running too.

1step - good to see you buddy

Brach - you are obviously kicking on with your Alan Sugar / Donald Trump business building! Good luck with the ebay stuff.

Penkins and TX - great to see you check in. Keep going!

Cute - great to see you, congrats on 13. What else can I try with pumpkin spice?

Ah and pink. Oh dear, I am now in the same special club as you. I just read the Tesco story on the train and laughed out loud and very loud. Ha ha ha. Cue everyone looking at me. That's so funny. Did you get to see her face when she found the stuff in the trolley? Oh, so so funny. I am in stitches! I am 35 years old and have played this game a few times with friends out shopping. I won't go to heaven either. Great to see you check in. Busy is good don't you think? You are on your way.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Thanks Pink! I'm just going out on my own Saturday. Kind of nonsensical if I think about it b/c I'm not gearing up for any race and won't be doing any long treadmill runs during the winter- but something has drawn me to the challenge.

Running 15 miles is currently too long for me to think about as a whole. So, in my mind I'll simply be running three loops. Each loop has 5 distinct sections to it. When I tire I will just focus on making it to the next section.

I'm also trying to reframe the run into the "known" vs the "unknown". I've run 10 miles a couple of times and know I can do it. So I'm trying to convince myself that my run really only begins at mile 10. And at that point, I only need to run 5 miles which I know I've done many times in the past.

We'll see what happens!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

HA London! welcome to the crazy club!!! I was at the check out behind this lady, she kept looking over her shoulder at me, and I grinned the entire time (because I was genuinely amused, not trying to creep her out). I saw her looking in the trolley, and suppressed with all my might a little shriek of delight when she spotted the socks. she looked puzzled, and put them on the conveyer belt (think she was wondering if she had forgotten putting them in and didn't want to look daft), then a few minutes later she spotted the tennis balls, looked me square on in the eyes. I nearly popped trying not to laugh. I smiled at her (a little maniacal), she scowled at me. The best bit?? she BOUGHT the tennis balls!!!! she paid, looked back at me and left. I really hope I see her next week :-) Little things please little minds eh?!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Troops,

As a group, I think we are generally moving beyond the initial craving stage, and into what I would call early, early sustained recovery. As such, I have been curious as to what lies ahead in terms of our successfully maintaining this new sobriety that we are now enjoying.

Right now, we are all super vigilant, carefully monitoring lots of things in our lives (particularly our lack of AL). But, I worry about what can trip me/us up going forward? Especially in terms of the dreaded and scary thought of relapse. In other words, what should I be on the lookout for, and what can I do about it? Although this is a one-day-at-a-time process, I like to keep an eye focused on the future.

Obviously there is wealth of information and advice out there. I did some digging and came upon a useful article from Spiritual River- http://www.spiritualriver.com/can-fu...er-alcoholism/
Old 10-09-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

ultra I think your focus is great, a little psychology is a good thing, I reckon you will smash it :-)
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

glandon I worry too that I may take my eye off the ball and get caught off guard, I need to start assessing long term potentials and have contingency plans ready to catch myself, will check out this link x
Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Congrats to Glandon, ClearEyes and Hobbs. We are moving along.

Glandon, I have thought about possible future slips, too. I think the most important thing I have learned from SR is that HUNGER plays a major role in my AV. When AV comes calling, I eat, eat, eat. So far, that has worked. I bought a large bag of Halloween treat-sized m&m's that I keep in my car in case it attacks while I am out.

My brother phoned only three times so far today. He actually sounded better; I think he has made up his mind to try marriage counseling, and if it doesn't work, so be it. His wife told him she will go, because she wants him to hear from the counselor what he should be doing. Up until that point, I had totally followed Chris's advice and just listened. But, I told him, "HUH! There's no way in hell that is going to happen." I think my comment relieved him as he probably thought the wife knew what she was talking about. He actually chuckled!

We have a sister who is a psychologist, but I assume my brother decided to talk to me instead of her because I am the one who argued with the wife and/or because we have always been close, or both. (Interesting side note - I just remembered the wife NEVER liked my sister the psychologist - said she always felt she was being analyzed.)

Thanks again for all your support. I am putting one foot in front of the other and trying to keep busy. This morning I went to the Y, then saw a light on in my six-month-old Volvo. I got out the manual; air pressure. I brought it to a local garage where they found a bolt in one tire. It is always something.

I should be embarrassed to add that the reason I always buy new Volvo SUVs is because I once heard that it is the least likely vehicle for police to pull over. How bad is that? My old neighbor who died this week had an old Willys Jeepster that was bright red with a red and white awning-like canvas top - - similar to a large version golf cart. I always thought I would love to have something like that, but I would be afraid I would rack up DUIs in it!

I am going to walk Scooter and get in bed early again tonight. I am physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted.

Thanks again........I appreciate this support more than you can imagine.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober 7 and a half years ago. I really wanted to be sober. I worked hard at it and I still work hard at it - but it's not a conscious teeth clenching vigilance any more.

I don't consider there's a relapse waiting around patiently for me to slip up, or doing push ups in the car park.

I'm not who I was in 2007.

If I was to drink again it would be a wilful and deliberate choice - a choice at odds with the way I live the rest of my life now.

Relapse is theoretically possible but I don't live in fear of it.

I love my sober life and the sober me I've become

I just wanted to make that point - recovery is not, and shouldn't be, an ordeal

D
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Sth. So far this year I've had Pumpkin Spice Starbucks, Creamer for my own coffee, Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts, Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream. I've seen bread, scones, m&ms , kisses and even Vodka. My friend who knows how I feel about Pumpkin Spice showed me. I can't imagine getting a hangover from my beloved Pumpkin haha. NO WAY! :P