Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 9

Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Sth. So far this year I've had Pumpkin Spice Starbucks, Creamer for my own coffee, Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts, Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream. I've seen bread, scones, m&ms , kisses and even Vodka. My friend who knows how I feel about Pumpkin Spice showed me. I can't imagine getting a hangover from my beloved Pumpkin haha. NO WAY! :P
Wow. You guys love the pumpkin spice ! I need a US trip, not much pumpkin around over here. That's why I have been going on about my lattes - they are so good.

We are also very short peanut butter ice cream, one of my favourites but impossible to get. Yep, USA trip added to sobriety list right now :-) I have only been to NYC and would like to see much more.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Grateful sober good morning from London. No boss at work today so I am taking it easy and heading in a little later than usual today. Coffee pot is on at home and taking some time to read SR and be grateful.

My client dinner last night taught me a lot.

I like the posts about stats but also around simplicity. I will add my theory around insurance.

Insurance in the real world is not free, neither is it in a recovery. The 'price' for our kind of insurance is ACTION - posting, reading, AA, thinking about others, observing situations where I used to drink and why - all of this is insurance against a slip. No right or wrong action, it's what works for you.

If I keep working, then those tools will build and I hope a day at a time to get to thinking and feeling the way Dee's post read. If I stop working, my insurance is cancelled.

Now in the real world, some people don't buy say, property insurance and take a chance. What happens if the house burns down? If I didn't buy insurance for my property I would have a constant worry that would happen.

That's how I view recovery at this point - no action = no insurance = worry about a slip creeping into my thoughts. I know where that one winds up.

So let's put the work in our our own life policies!!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I like that London, top analogy!

Very long day yesterday with a big old board level presentation at 10:00, with the anxiety zinging round my system I was thinking "why the flip do I put myself through this, I need to be in a summer meadow full of buttercups and bumblebees not standing behind a lectern" all went well and I think we're in with a fighting chance of winning the business.

One meeting today at 15:00 about and hour and a half away which will be sitting in on someone else's so a zero stress one for me, then The Other Appointment...

Have a good day all however far you may be through it :o)
Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

BBF, great work reflecting on last week and obviously getting stronger from the experience. We all learn from each other and you helped me through with your handling it so very we'll. Grateful, kudos for getting through and staying strong, talk about building sober muscles!

Too many good posts to name individually this morning. I noticed I am posting a little less and the AV is whispering about moderation again, just one or two at happy hour, etc... Got to kick my own arse and step up my positivity and resolve.

Happy sober Friday team! Bt the way, Dee, your posts are always spot on, both here and in the newcomer thread. I don't know how you did it, but I strive to follow in your shadow.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words determined

D
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good morning, Team!

What wonderful posts have been added! Dee, Choobie, London, BBF, Grateful...not sure I have them all, but very impressive!

Glandon, I have somehow managed to lose almost 11 pounds in my eight weeks of sobriety. My old neighbor told me the reception after her husband's funeral tomorrow will be at a very exclusive country club. I went shopping, and was very pleased at how my regular size was too big. I weighed myself yesterday morning at the Y and was really surprised. I guess my new chocolate-infused diet is nothing compared to the beer, wine and late night food deliveries I was doing.

Grateful, your posts say it all =- You have this, and you will be better off going forward. You are free.

BBF, so happy you came right back to us after your slip last week. You are now back on track!

Cute, if you go to the Betty Crocker website there are a large number of pumpkin recipes. Do you like to bake? cook? That is one of my passions when I am sober!

I am going to the Y, then meeting some old friends for lunch and shopping. I will cut it short to be home to get ready for my neighbor's calling hours later today. I am hoping my brother is feeling better and does not feel the need to phone more than once today....the more he calls, the worse he is feeling. I was relieved with only three calls yesterday, and he did seem more calm and stable. Time will tell.

Thanks again for all your support. Chris, Pink, Apple, Dee, Cute, and everyone else - - you have helped so much!

Have a safe and sober day everyone. ENJOY LIFE!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Yes, Pink, serious caffeine intake is essential today.

Dang all the stores who are sold out of pumpkin spice creamer and I am stuck with boring old French vanilla.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
Bbf, choobie, grateful...

Totally the same lady who heard me shout at the Av!!

It's still Making me smile now poor woman! Glad it tickled you all!!! I think to avoid crossed wires, we will now refer to this lady as mavis, I will keep you updated!!!

Choobie and grateful you are both doing so well! Beaming with pride and love for you guys xxx
So YOU are the one my Mom keeps talking about? You should be ashamed.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Sorry for the short post I have lots to do this morning packing and preparing for my trip but just wanted to check in on Day 60 !!! Yayyyyy!!!! I know we are celebrating some 2-monthers as well!!! Also those back to day 7, 10, 15, whatever day you are on you are on the right track and that is so commendable !!!! Love you all !!!
PS- My internet may be very spotty (if at all existent) on my special weekend getaway for the next 3-4 days but I will find a way to say hello I am sure (probably a cafe nearby with some internet hopefully within a 5 mile drive).
Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Way to go Chris!!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Good morning. Made it in to work but tired as the daughter woke me up at 5:45 as she is apt to do. Plus storms predicted for tonight so that means a night spent on her floor. I don't really mind. I like that I can provide her some comfort.

AV at bay currently. Hopefully will stay that way.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TXAlchy2 View Post
Good morning. Made it in to work but tired as the daughter woke me up at 5:45 as she is apt to do. Plus storms predicted for tonight so that means a night spent on her floor. I don't really mind. I like that I can provide her some comfort.

AV at bay currently. Hopefully will stay that way.
TX, being sober for my daughter is a huge motivator for me. Not the only motivator (there are plenty) but a huge one. So good to be there in clarity for her!!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
So YOU are the one my Mom keeps talking about? You should be ashamed.
I actually laughed out loud to this!!! :-)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

chris, congratulations honey!!! enjoy your weekend away you lucky devil :-) we will miss you!!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Chris- this is fantastic!!! Big 6-0!!! I hope you are travelling to somewhere enjoyable this weekend.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

well the studying is not going well. However, I have cleaned the airing cupboard, filled 4 charity bags, cleaned the fridge, brushed the cats and changed the beds. Hmmmm. Displacement theory??? The AV is being a complete sh!t today as Im home alone. I have now eaten throughout the day 4 digestives, 6 oreos and 2 milky ways. Next up is a toffee crisp. oh my days why did I agree to another degree??

Hope you're all well today :-)
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Congrats Chris- enjoy your weekend!

Super insightful posts and honesty from Choobers, determined, London, BBF and Grateful. Speaking for myself, I get strength, inspiration and determination from others soul-baring. I can relate to everyones struggles and feelings and all of the thoughts that get typed, are helpful.

TX- hang in there..

Apple- my issues with alcohol began as a single parent with 3 young children (2,3 &5) It can be extremely difficult to take care of little ones by oneself and as a "treat", I would have some "daddy juice" to make the evenings more fun and smoother. I wish I had those blurry nights back so badly. It seems to go by so slowly at the time but in a blink, I have 3 teenagers.

Scooter- you are about to hit 57- great job. Hold your head high this weekend : )

Glad to have Pink back too : )

Ultra- great weekend to run in New England-enjoy

Hobbers- nice job on 60-right behind you
Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

ClearEyes - yup. My "normal" drinking kicked off into abusive drinking when I began staying at home with my kiddos, newborn and 20 months. A silly time by the sounds of it, but yeah - it was a reward. I wasn't going places with them, just stuck in the house for hours and days with non-sleeping kids and reflux. They're 3 and 4 now. Crazy kids! "The days may seem long but the years are short."
Old 10-10-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Day 14. Thankful I will have over 2 weeks before my new job Monday. I'm so nervous. I haven't started at a NEW job in 10 years. The last one I knew several people so it was nothing.. But this is a new beginning and I hope I excel. Chris have a great time on your trip. Scooter I love to cook.. But haven't gotten into baking.. But I do love Pumpkin cheesecake so hmm.. I saw Ben and Jerry's has that as a limited time flavor now too..gotta find it. Haha maybe someone will randomly put it into my cart. :P Grateful u rock! hope everyone has a great Friday and I vow to stay sober this weekend. *hugs
Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello all! Checking in! Day 13. Recovering from my surgery at home. This break is giving me time to get my head right. Hope u are doing well!