We continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-7-a-21.html

D
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks dee
Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Loving those avatars/icons you guys have. cant do it on an ipad.
went to a meeting today, dont like it much but its good to know theres others out there workinqg the steps. It also helps to know theres people out there who have moved into a good place through working their programs.

catch ya later all
G
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not much to say other than I have to hit the reset button.....day (1) today.

Thanks Febbies.....
Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Not much to say other than I have to hit the reset button.....day (1) today. Thanks Febbies.....
((((NT)))))

You're getting a big because you think you need to be so strong. Remember we are always here to reach out to when a craving hits. We can talk you through it step by step.

You have made some real strides recently towards understanding yourself, your motivations, and your triggers. I know you can do this.

I'm also going to suggest AA. I go to a big book meeting, which lasts exactly 1 hour, and where there is very little expectation for me to share, although the opportunity is there should I choose to. Its one hour a week, and gives me the space to focus on my sobriety, and be around like minded people.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Gleefan NT - there's no shame in reaching out for help.

It's what we do here - and another day you'll be the one passing on the support.

D
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hugs to you NT, and more hugs.

When you feel triggered, please reach out to us; the Febbies are solidly in your corner. AA sounds like a good idea to me, also. I have never been to a meeting but I haven't ruled it out as a resource. In fact, if I could get my sister to agree to go, I would go all-in in a second but she is still trying desperately to make moderation work and we all know how that goes.

More hugs, NT.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up NT. Brush yourself off and keep moving along. Today is another day to be sober. You can do this. I kind of feel like you're my brother, so I want to say even the strongest people fall sometimes. I think of you as a very strong person.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, everybody, casinva has 60 days today.!!!!

Way to go, casinva; way to go.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

NT sorry to hear that, jump right back on the wagon, it's just a slip that's all. Rooting for you buddy.

Gleefan and Torn thanks for your words of encouragement. I didn't get a chance to speak to him yesterday as he was drinking again and it's not productive to talk to him while he's drunk. In a way it does help me to realise how my drinking has affected others in the past, and how infuriating and disappointing it is when someone goes back to drinking like it's not a problem. There are two people I have hurt badly in the past and it's just dawning on me the extent of the damage my drinking did to these people.

I'll have a word with the old man this evening as my mum's out, he's not an unreasonable person and has appreciated my support before so i'm not worried, I do kind of resent the fact that I have to have this talk with him, having had no support myself (Other than you lovely people) throughout all this it does irk me that I have to go through this stress and consternation in supporting him. He should know better by now.

But nevermind, that's the difference between me and him.
I'm strong.

Hope all are well out there!
Keep those shields and hearts strong.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

NT - I'm glad to see you back and trying again. In IOP the counselor said if it were easy or one magic pill there would be no need for support.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Will be thinking about you this evening, LS.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LS- It's interesting to read your posts. Your experience with your dad, and many of the other members with spouses who drink, are interesting to me. I have a cousin who is an alcoholic, but we aren't in touch often. Other than that I don't have anyone in my life who is a problem drinker. (That I know of).

I also have been thinking about people I have hurt. Honestly, I've kept the drinking so hush hush that I can only think of one person, and of course it's the man I was so close to and loved. I don't know what to do about it. Apologizing is empty at this point and once I leave my job, for my own health I don't plan on having any contact with him.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Casinva! And congrats on 60 days!

NT, sorry you have to start over, but glad you're back. The thing is, it takes incredible strength to pick yourself back up and choose to be here. You've got a lot of support on this board.

Thanks, TR, for thinking of me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and your ability to care so deeply for others. I'm trying to appreciate each day and all of the things I have to be thankful for, as well. I think I always want what I don't have and that's a problem. I have to realize that I am a valuable person and need to keep convincing myself of that. It is a daily process, but a little easier without the guilt and denial of alcohol clouding my mind and heart. Glad you didn't squish the frog - we have to be as gentle with ourselves, too.

Hobbies are sometimes hard for me to stick with. I'm still trying to knit, but don't want to do it all the time. I'm trying a hat that Hermione wore in Harry Potter. Not sure if I said that before here. My last one (and first attempt at a hat) came out huge! It would fit a bear. This one is looking better so far. It's harder now that my eyesight close up is starting to get worse. There were at least 2 articles about the Ukrainian eggs in our paper this last weekend. There was one artist from Ohio who made amazing ones! Keep practicing! Wish I could post a pic, but it's not working.

GF, I hope the time you have leads to more progress in your recovery. You are very inspiring and so encouraging to all of us here. I can see why you work with kids. I don't think I could do it. Although, I do help out at school and they are so stinkin' cute! I love it, but some of them are heartbreaking when you know their home life is really difficult.

DI, yay! Less than 3 weeks! It'll be here before you know it. I hope it goes smoothly for you. On to new adventures! I love what you said about your mom and just laughing off what she said. Once they are gone, you go back and remember those things and think "what was the big deal?" because I know my mom used to do things that drove me crazy (like wipe her finger along the mantel to check for dust!) It's nice you love and appreciate her for who she is while she is here with you. Sorry for being morbid and emotional. Holidays sometimes do that to me.

Jenny, I hope you're doing ok.

LS, hope you spoke to your dad and he was receptive. It's exciting to think about moving into a new place, but I hope worries about him don't damper it. You have to live your own life and can't make his choices for him. I think you realize that and that only makes you stronger in your own sobriety.

Dee, thanks for sharing and reminding me to be thankful for the things that I can do - for myself and others.

KUF, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Losing a parent is supposed to be expected in life, but nothing about it feels 'normal.' My mom was 66 and it's way too young. I will never understand, but I know she is not in pain anymore. I will be thinking of you and your family.

To everyone else, have a wonderful Tuesday. You are all in my thoughts!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SayAnything View Post

LS, hope you spoke to your dad and he was receptive. It's exciting to think about moving into a new place, but I hope worries about him don't damper it. You have to live your own life and can't make his choices for him. I think you realize that and that only makes you stronger in your own sobriety.
Thanks SA your words are supportive and helpful. You're very right in that I have my own life to live, I have my own mountain to climb. In order to be the type of person I want to be I have to at least attempt to reach out to him and support him, if he doesn't appreciate or respond to it then so be it.

I just need to give it a shot because I wish I'd had support when I've struggled to maintain sobriety in the past, nobody around me ever really seemed to 'get' it, and they still don't. But now I have this group, and the energy it gives me knowing some people out there truly DO get it is astounding.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on day 61! I may jinx myself here but it hasn't been as hard as a I thought )
Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

whoops should have been a smile
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Casinva and Rudy, congratulations on 60 days!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Spoke to my Dad, he was very receptive and said he was concerned about his drinking too, so he's re-doubling his efforts to stop.

Whether he actually will or not remains to be seen, but I've done what I can so I feel a little more peaceful.

Thanks all, I honestly could not get through this type of thing without you.

Rudy, conrgatulations my friend. I know what you mean about it not being as hard as you thought, I think sometimes when you get into the habit of sobriety weeks can go by without thinking about it. Just keep watching your back!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all! You are all to kind! You've all said really nice things....I'm in awe....

So, basically I made a conscious decision to have a few beers with my father-in-law over the holiday.

Someone should try to incorporated "boredom" into HALT....

Anyway, I'm doing well. Ready to get back on the horse. I haven't given AA a lot of thought, but thanks for brining it up. I'll contemplate it for sure.

Have a great day everyone!