Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 8

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Lonely today, but Ill be ok. Its interesting to read that others have noticed changes in the relation dynamic when one partner quits. I shared it in an AA meeting today. A lady mentioned two other cases shed heard of. People sometimes start drinking again to keep things the same, and I must admit Ive done this previously. Now is my time to get sober, and if it comes to the crunch Im prepared to lose this relationship to stay sober. I will never find my true purpose in life if Im always numbed by booze.

Ive been working on my 4th step, and have had relief from my resentments already.
90 days tommorow. Im pretty sure this is the best Ive done since I was 15 years old, and I turn 40 in a little over a month.

take care all. Ill try to be more active on here it does help.
thanks
G
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hi Febbies,

Gazza - Isn't it interesting how sobriety sometimes rocks relationships to their core? I admire your commitment to stay true to yourself.

LonelyShadow - I hope you're feeling better soon, and that everything works out for your sister and dad. It's easier to be sober when I'm feeling healthy, peaceful, and balanced. If only we could put some of that aside as an insurance policy for when we're sick, tired, or depressed.

Coming here to talk to all of you is one of the ways I place a deposit into my sobriety insurance. This morning I'm plagued by fatigue and malaise that remind me of how I felt when I was hung over. The difference is that I'm sober. Yesterday, in addition to not drinking, I made healthy decisions, I put my energy towards relationships that are mutually interdependent, and I took the best care of myself and my family as I was capable of. Today's lethargy will pass and I will remain sober.

Torn, NT, DiggingIn, Lulu, SoberLeigh, seeks, Dee, and all the other undies -- have a sober day!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Had a get together at my house this evening. Nothing fancy, just grilled out and everyone brought a dish to share. Spent the day mostly relaxing. I did have to go to he grocery and I made some mac and cheese. Had about 13 people here. It's so nice to open my home again, to not have to worry about there being signs of my drinking around. It's nice to live in a house that is clean. It's nice to be able to do things last minute. I knew I wanted to have people over this weekend but it wasn't until about 8:00 last night that I knew tonight would be best for everyone. I could never have managed that when I was drinking. I would have been panicked for people to see the state I was allowing myself to live in. Sober is a better life.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post
Had a get together at my house this evening. Nothing fancy, just grilled out and everyone brought a dish to share. Spent the day mostly relaxing. I did have to go to he grocery and I made some mac and cheese. Had about 13 people here. It's so nice to open my home again, to not have to worry about there being signs of my drinking around. It's nice to live in a house that is clean. It's nice to be able to do things last minute. I knew I wanted to have people over this weekend but it wasn't until about 8:00 last night that I knew tonight would be best for everyone. I could never have managed that when I was drinking. I would have been panicked for people to see the state I was allowing myself to live in. Sober is a better life.
So happy for you, DI.!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

It's nice to see you reaping the the rewards of sobriety, DI.

My fatigued state yesterday indeed passed - with the help of some down time. I had a nice and productive day. I cleaned the house (like DI's, my house is much cleaner now), worked on my long term garage cleaning project, and fit in lots of breaks to relax and recharge. This approach is a real paradigm shift for me. I used to rush through my work and chores and drinking was my reward. I remember posting on here during one of my first weeks sober that shoveling snow pushed me over the edge into a tantrum because I had never done a chore without rewarding myself with drinks.

I have a nice chair set up in the yard to read and contemplate, then I'm going to do some more work around the house. Have a sober day, all!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I'm trying to get a relaxing day in today, had an absolute nightmare this past week, finally glad to be seeing the back of this illness but the irritating setbacks just keep flooding in (Phone breaking etc)

Today is 100 days sober, it's annoying that right now I'm still not seeing the long term benefits, still broke, still overweight, still lonely and still living with parents. But I know that all I have to do is keep going in this direction and everything will work out eventually. I'm having some quiet rest time to myself in my room today away from my imbecile of a father, tomorrow if I feel fully recovered I begin the next stage of my training program and re-double my efforts to save money and get the hell away from this terrible situation.

To all my friends in suffering, we can get through this.
Hope all are well.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

LS - you have been an inspiration to me. You will do well because you are so dedicated to sobriety, and at such a young age.

Race Day in Indy. I am weirdly happy listening to it on the radio. They black it out here, but this year I am remembering the years my cousin raced in the 500 and we listened on the radio for what seemed like the entire day!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
the irritating setbacks just keep flooding in (Phone breaking etc) Today is 100 days sober, it's annoying that right now I'm still not seeing the long term benefits, still broke, still overweight, still lonely and still living with parents.
((((LS)))) - I'm sorry you're feeling down and lonely today.

Sobriety is a long term investment, and you and I are at the very beginning of our sober lives. A sober friend of mine recommended that I place all the good things that happen in sobriety in a kind of mental savings account. You can put the horrible effects of your drinking in this account, too. Before you caught this virus, you were feeling positive and optimistic. Remember that! Call upon it today when you feel low. Call upon it when you feel well. Stay on top of your physical, psychological and spiritual sobriety, LS.

I wake up some mornings feeling like I'm hungover and spend that day struggling with my anxiety. I can call upon all of my experiences in sobriety, including that bad days pass, to remind me why I'm not drinking. I started a gratitude thread, both to celebrate the good stuff in the moment, and to jog my memory of why I am taking all this effort to be sober.

We alcoholics can be in such a rush sometimes! Fitness, financial savings and relationships take time to grow; sobriety does too. One hundred days is definitely an accomplishment. I hope you find a way to mark it that's special and meaningful for you.

And you need never feel lonely because all your Febbies support you. Hit us up any time!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it really does help having you here, so much strength in this thread.

I've just taken it really easy on myself today and going to get an early night, the positive energy will come rushing back soon I can feel it already, like a tide of golden fire just over the horizon.

Stay strong all!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

(((((LS))))); hoping you feel well very soon. And a huge congratulations on 100 days!!!!! You have accomplished so much in these days, not just sobriety. Take pride in yourself; it is so well deserved.

It was a good six months before I "started" to feel significantly better (before the lethargy and brain fog really started to lift). Take heart, things will get better.

Again, congratulations, LS; I am so very proud of you.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Gleefan I also wake up somedays feeling like Ive got a hang over. Same with the bursts of anxiety. The 'hangover' I use Berocca vitamin B for that, it does help. I dont know about the anxiety though thats a tough one. I wonder some times if its chemical but I really dont know. Its the biggest negative feeling I have really and drinking is still the only thing I know of that almost instantly gets rid of it. Thats a bad option of course. Ive been pescribed prozac and ativan as well for this, but I abused ativan and didnt like the side effects of prozac. Meditation is supposed to work and I think it stops it developing into panic attacks but it doesnt get rid of it entirely. Walking is very good for me but not always possible due to weather etc. I get most anxious when Im alone too.

LS well done on 100 days it aint easy, Im finding being sober doesnt make everything perfect in fact its caused me some real misery now with my relationship. Like you though, I know this is the right thing to do and that in the long run things will work out keep up the good work.

Im doing alright. Dealing with worry about my relationship and feeling like the suspense is killing me... 2 weeks to go. Im finding its better maybe to just accept that its most likely over and not struggle against it so hard. Its so crap when Ive broken off a relationship and the other person pleads and jibbers on, Im not gonna be that guy. But Ive made my podition clear that I would rather work it out. That said and made clear drama is best left out now.

Take care all
G
Old 05-26-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know when I got sober I expected instant change - I was used to instant gratification - I'd practiced that for many years.

I found recovery taught my patience again. I learned that my body and mind had their own timetable to get themselves right. I learned that most of my material problems remained - it took me over a year to get out of the financial hole I was in for example.

But things got better - because I got better - week by week I got a little closer to who I wanted to be, I grew to like who I was and what I stood for, and that peace and serenity has never really left me, even when I was ill, or money was tight, or I felt pain or sorrow.

Hang in there guys - this really is worth it

D
Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 100 days LS - I think you have the right attitude Gazza.

I hope all the other Febbies are doing ok

Time for a new thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-9-a.html

D