Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 8

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
Spoke to my Dad, he was very receptive and said he was concerned about his drinking too, so he's re-doubling his efforts to stop.

Whether he actually will or not remains to be seen, but I've done what I can so I feel a little more peaceful.

Thanks all, I honestly could not get through this type of thing without you.

Rudy, conrgatulations my friend. I know what you mean about it not being as hard as you thought, I think sometimes when you get into the habit of sobriety weeks can go by without thinking about it. Just keep watching your back!
I am glad it went so well, LS.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I also am glad LS. It's good you've done what you could.

Each day in here seems like it gets harder. I see the light, but there's a long way to go. I'm worried about my AV. Today at lunch, sitting outside my AV reared its head. Less than 3 weeks. Have some wine. Once you're out of this situation THEN you can really quit because you won't need to drink anymore. I didn't listen to it. I have plans for tomorrow night already. I'll have to keep busy. Play the tape. You know how it will end.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Spoke to my Dad, he was very receptive and said he was concerned about his drinking too, so he's re-doubling his efforts to stop.

Whether he actually will or not remains to be seen, but I've done what I can so I feel a little more peaceful.

Rudy, conrgatulations my friend. I know what you mean about it not being as hard as you thought, I think sometimes when you get into the habit of sobriety weeks can go by without thinking about it. Just keep watching your back!
LS, I'm putting on my Mom hat right now to tell you that you are a wonderful son and I'm sure your parents are very proud of you!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post

Each day in here seems like it gets harder. I see the light, but there's a long way to go. I'm worried about my AV. Today at lunch, sitting outside my AV reared its head. Less than 3 weeks. Have some wine. Once you're out of this situation THEN you can really quit because you won't need to drink anymore. I didn't listen to it. I have plans for tomorrow night already. I'll have to keep busy. Play the tape. You know how it will end.
Kudos for ignoring your AV! It's a sneaky thing, isn't it?! Each time it pops into my head I remember vividly that last hungover morning and the week that followed of pure hell. Then the craving immediately goes away!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's hard now DI but it will get so much easier. The AV will quieten down in time, you're getting through a period of high anxiety so naturally the AV will utilise this to try and derail you, just get through it and it will get easier. And you'll be better equipped to beat it next time it comes along.

You're doing so well, keep it up. Rooting for you.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by casinva View Post
LS, I'm putting on my Mom hat right now to tell you that you are a wonderful son and I'm sure your parents are very proud of you!
Thanks casinva!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You are still going through a lot, DI, with so much exposure to the people who trigger you. It will get easier; stay strong; you are doing great.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

DI - Stomp on that AV. You know your out is coming. Stay strong!

LS - I'm glad your talk went well. You had your say. Maybe your Dad will see your sobriety and try harder. Regardless of what he does, we are here for you.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Remember you are on that high road - the road to a better self. That's the best revenge. The low road is just full of guilt and regret. You are very self-aware, so that's in your favor.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's so great! You are a good example for your dad. He is lucky to have someone in his corner. I read alot on the Friends and Family of Alcoholics board because the stories really show how much alcoholism affects others. And also, how the A has to want it for themselves. I know it must help him to have someone who's not just preaching it, but living it day by day to talk to.

Also, congrats, Rudy!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Rudy and Casinva - way to go on 60 days!!!!

SA - thanks for the kind words. I'm flattered. I was in social work right out of college, working with mentally ill and homeless people, then moved to the administrative and advocacy side of things. I didn't start working with kids til after I had mine. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Lol. Are you fasting for Passover? If so, you've got to be glad that end's in sight!

LS - I get what you mean about feeling resentful that you are giving your father support he isn't able to give you. My mother is the same way. She doesn't drink, but she has, like, zero coping skills. I'm glad you brought up the piece about seeing the effect your dad's alcoholism has on the people around him. It's appalling to think that my drinking may have the same effect on my kids' lives as my mother's self absorption had on mine, but it's a very real possibility. Just another reason for me to stay stopped.

DI - I'd be impatient for my new job assignment to begin, if I were you. I give you a lot of credit for going to work day after day, in a setting with fresh heartbreak and painful backstabbing. Those are big feelings to keep inside - of course your AV wants you to turn to alcohol to numb it. Do you talk to anyone about what's happening with this guy and your former friend - family, friend, clergy, therapist?

Torn - How are you? Give us the long version, please.

SL - Hi! How are you feeling? If you'd be all in at AA if your sister joined you, why not stick a toe in now? I bet you'd enjoy the sponsorship aspect to it.

NT - Boredom is an issue for you, me and others. I've found that I replace alcohol with mood altering substances and behaviors such as drama, caffeine, anger, sugar, worry, excessive exercise. Theoretically, my system is accustomed to being on high alert because I was raised in a stressful environment, so I subconsciously seek stimulating substances and behaviors that keep me on high alert. I dunno. I'm drinking an Americano right now (espresso and hot water). Alert!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Rudy and Casinva - way to go on 60 days!!!!

SA - thanks for the kind words. I'm flattered. I was in social work right out of college, working with mentally ill and homeless people, then moved to the administrative and advocacy side of things. I didn't start working with kids til after I had mine. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Lol. Are you fasting for Passover? If so, you've got to be glad that end's in sight!

LS - I get what you mean about feeling resentful that you are giving your father support he isn't able to give you. My mother is the same way. She doesn't drink, but she has, like, zero coping skills. I'm glad you brought up the piece about seeing the effect your dad's alcoholism has on the people around him. It's appalling to think that my drinking may have the same effect on my kids' lives as my mother's self absorption had on mine, but it's a very real possibility. Just another reason for me to stay stopped.

DI - I'd be impatient for my new job assignment to begin, if I were you. I give you a lot of credit for going to work day after day, in a setting with fresh heartbreak and painful backstabbing. Those are big feelings to keep inside - of course your AV wants you to turn to alcohol to numb it. Do you talk to anyone about what's happening with this guy and your former friend - family, friend, clergy, therapist?

Torn - How are you? Give us the long version, please.

SL - Hi! How are you feeling? If you'd be all in at AA if your sister joined you, why not stick a toe in now? I bet you'd enjoy the sponsorship aspect to it.

NT - Boredom is an issue for you, me and others. I've found that I replace alcohol with mood altering substances and behaviors such as drama, caffeine, anger, sugar, worry, excessive exercise. Theoretically, my system is accustomed to being on high alert because I was raised in a stressful environment, so I subconsciously seek stimulating substances and behaviors that keep me on high alert. I dunno. I'm drinking an Americano right now (espresso and hot water). Alert!
I am feeling better for the most part (thanks to your virtual soup); still have some residual lung issues but the gastro part is totally resolved. I even did some outdoor work today; cleaned the porch, the patio, the patio furniture; still have to tackle the deck - that is the most difficult part.

I have thought about doing the AA thing solo; I believe that it would give me some great face to face support which I think would help me. I have told my sister that I will wait for her; she is still struggling with moderation and the "high functioning" aspect of denial, something that my whole family struggled with - that "you you are not an alcoholic if you are getting up everyday, doing a job, supporting your family" mentality. I do think/hope that she will come around soon . . . .

Coffee, coffee. I haven't given it up yet, Gazza, but I have cut back a little.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I do, family, friends and my therapist! By the way, I was a social worker too! I worked with all types of people. . . elderly, medically fragile children. . . I loved it but couldn't support myself. With my education and background I was shocked to realize I had an addiction.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Febbies,

Glad to see everyone is doing well. NT, it takes a lot of courage to come back after a slip so good for you!! Boredom is a huge trigger for me, too. It really should be included in HALT.

Things are going well here. Been busy and very tired. Today is Day 30, again, for me. It was really nice spending the Easter holiday sober with my family. 2 more weeks until my first ultrasound. Time is dragging. Will keep you all posted.

So proud of everyone in this class!! Keep fighting the fight!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I do, family, friends and my therapist! By the way, I was a social worker too! I worked with all types of people. . . elderly, medically fragile children. . . I loved it but couldn't support myself. With my education and background I was shocked to realize I had an addiction.
Goes to show that addiction is complicated.... Glad you have a strong support network.

Ladybug - thanks for the update. Glad you're doing well!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Hi Febbies,

IOP tonight was a bit different. A guy from last week was back who had a higher BAC than I did.

He asked the counselor what his approach was, and other things I probably should've asked. HE talked about how he went to AA and how younger people don't get it because they don't have the war wounds.

I disagreed and said there are high bottoms and lower bottoms. He asked about if I ever detoxed, I'm like I don't really know. Shakes yes, that day in the hospital was that a detox? No idea. We moved on, another dude started to talk. I reflect and almost feel defensive, but not at the same time. I think about that AA meeting where a woman shared her weekend drunks and I thought, man if I only did weekends I wouldn't be here. Wrong! She recognized her addiction for what it is for her. I thought tonight was productive.

I also asked the counselor for my plan. The court people have plans and when they meet goals they get released. I slipped through being that I enrolled myself, switch groups and buildings, they had that week were things were combined and Easter. All of us in a hurry to get home, so I just said let me know. Didn't need a plan to come out of mid air.

Finally figured out he doesn't drink. I don't know why but I put a lot of value that if someone is counseling me for this addiction, I'd prefer they've been through it, or experienced something with it. Ideally not be a user, moderation or not. I'm around too many people who don't get it. I also am not naive to think a person who hasn't gone through it but has gone through classes or other things is capable of counseling.

My obsession is staring to fade a bit but I still wonder about vacation. Planned one in Sept. That is a long time from now.

Hubby is going to beerfest Saturday. My friend I hardly see has a new boy friend and said next several weekends are booked out. My other friends are more casual with kids or weekend jobs. I guess it would be nice to have a close friend. I have no one to talk to about this or my husband. I talk to him but what about talking about him. Like when he was mad at AA? So already seeing HALT, I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself Saturday.

Was that long enough Glee? Haha! I know just rambling here has stopped me from drinks before, so I continue.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I am feeling better for the most part (thanks to your virtual soup); still have some residual lung issues but the gastro part is totally resolved. I even did some outdoor work today; cleaned the porch, the patio, the patio furniture; still have to tackle the deck - that is the most difficult part.

I have thought about doing the AA thing solo; I believe that it would give me some great face to face support which I think would help me. I have told my sister that I will wait for her; she is still struggling with moderation and the "high functioning" aspect of denial, something that my whole family struggled with - that "you you are not an alcoholic if you are getting up everyday, doing a job, supporting your family" mentality. I do think/hope that she will come around soon . . . .

I know you are waiting for your sister. I would say that if AA is something you want to look into for support, then do it. I think AA is more of a personal experience. I mean will you both truly be honest with each other there? I know if I went with my brother, I wouldn't dare speak with full honesty. That is just a thought. You and your sister may be so close that's not a issue. Another thought is I'm thinking of taking my husband to an open meeting one day so he gets a taste of what it is. I'm sorry your sister is also going though this. I hope she comes around soon too.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Ha that made me laugh, was just sipping on a coffee as I read that!

TR you get a lot of opinions at AA. I find it hard some of those people are well meaning but just plain wrong. Over the years Ive been told to give up my prescribed medication. Not move town, not take a job, not enrol in a course of study. Really this is not AAs fault some people just overstep the boundary and suddenly think theyre experts on everything.

I had a sponsor who went into AA at only 25 and has 13 years sobriety. Im sure there are many more.

Congrats on 30 days ladybug :-)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Gazza, somehow you made us health aware!

Today I got to work at six thirty am. What a difference it makes when I'm not so sick. Minor cough still, but not dead like last two weeks.

Need to call hospital this week. Hoping to set up monthly pay plan for my visit.

Having some tea. Should get IOP plan tonight, and we're watching an addiction movie.

Sunny out. Day seems promising.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good day folks
D