Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 18

Old 07-31-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Grace.

Everyday I wake up and realize I don't have a job, and it crushes me.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hey Stevie, have a great day and welcome to Alex
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

HD - That was a beautiful post on forgiveness. I think forgiveness is one of the hardest things to do for most people, not just alcoholics. But, resentments are just so corrosive to our sobriety and overall well-being.

Matt - Kudos to you! You should really pat yourself on the back for not picking up a drink over losing your job. Instead you took the initiative immediately and it looks like things will pan out for you. You are far stronger than you realize. You flexed an emotional muscle in early sobriety and for this you should be proud.

Grace - I am so sorry to hear that your Dad is deteriorating rapidly. I hope you can find respite care for him soon. God bless you. It's painful to see those we love suffer and know it is completely out of our control. You are a great daughter, loving and kind and I hope that brings you a small amount of comfort. As we have all shared, you were sorely missed I hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Alex - Welcome to the thread and congratulations on 7 months of sobriety.

DG0409 - Congrats on 13 days of no week, 1113 days of no alcohol and 7 months of no cigarettes. You are simply amazing!

Toots - I always love reading your wise and entertaining posts! Your post on guilt being a self-centered emotion was right on the mark.

MD- That was a beautiful poem that you composed for Grace! Thank you so much for your congratulations and your tremendous compliment. Good luck with your job hunting Your exercise regime inspires me to do much more in that department!

Jim - Wonderful to know that you are still on track.

Yesterday, was another good day for me. My ex-sponsor took me out to dinner, gave me flowers, two inspirational stones (one was "peace" and the other "love") and a lovely necklace. We attended a meeting and I picked up another one year chip. They didn't have anyone to lead the meeting so had to ask someone. Later, a man I have an enormous amount of respect for congratulated me. He told me that he almost asked me to lead. But, that he didn't want to put me on the spot. Thank Goodness! I don't think well on my feet and the thought terrifies me. When I do at some point try and lead - I would need to prepare heavily.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post

Yesterday, was another good day for me. My ex-sponsor took me out to dinner, gave me flowers, two inspirational stones (one was "peace" and the other "love") and a lovely necklace. We attended a meeting and I picked up another one year chip. They didn't have anyone to lead the meeting so had to ask someone. Later, a man I have an enormous amount of respect for congratulated me. He told me that he almost asked me to lead. But, that he didn't want to put me on the spot. Thank Goodness! I don't think well on my feet and the thought terrifies me. When I do at some point try and lead - I would need to prepare heavily.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday!
Tanja....inspirational....the over 1 year group has gained another support!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words Tanja.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Today, I'm 7 months sober. It's never ever been that long for me. The longest always was 90 days. Have a great day everyone !!!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone !!! loving life and really enjoy hearing from all of you.
I'm sorry to hear about your Job Matt. I have lost two jobs myself and I did find something better. I hope the same for you. Hang in there buddy.
I too, don't know what I would do without you guys. Goll darn it--it really does get trying at times. But, I don't miss the hangovers and especially what I said the night before. Sometimes I just need to remind myself that I cannot ever take another drink and that is final. It is 150 days sober for me today and I have each and everyone of you to thank SO GREAT BIG HUGS TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Just thought I might pop a quick Hello prior to heading out for a long day.

HD3 - Yes, that January 6 quote is a sort of "Groundhog Day" start for me. Fact is, I even live rather close to Punxsutawney Phil.

WWG - Keep fighting through this. I vividly remember a job loss happening to me in my sober past...married, two small girls, house, expensive lifestyle at the time. It was followed by a career shift that led to the highest earning decade in my life. Yes, it does get better...just don't drink!

Tanja - Congrats on a SOBER YEAR! Me thinks that you would have done just fine at "on the spot" leading a meeting.

MB - Good luck with your job search.

Alex - WooHoo on the 7 months!

Happy Birthday Grace...I remember you from Morning Grats, The Bus and DQ'n about a year ago. You are always such a wonderful inspiration.

Gotta dash...sooo, my best to the rest!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

tanja ~ don't worry about your first lead.. I just got asked to do mine, at my home group the last week of sept..

We have a saying here, just remember the 3 B's..

Be Honest
Be Brief
and Be Seated....

Also my sponsor likes to say in his, as a little joke but true also.. I try to keep my lead to 20-30 minutes, anything more is B.S...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Jim - I am no going anywhere! I love you all and very much still feel like a newcomer

DP- Congratulations on 7 months of sobriety! That is a huge accomplishment. I never had anymore than 3 months of sobriety in my life and that was 20 years ago. I hope you find a wonderful way to celebrate this momentous occasion.

Babs - Congratulations on 5 months of sobriety sweetie You've worked hard on your sobriety and it truly is a "one day at a time" endeavor. Kudos to you for staying strong and putting your sobriety first. I do hope that you find some way to celebrate or treat yourself today.

IWLSAST - Thank you so much for having confidence in me. I really need to work on not being so scared and telling myself I can do it. Like anything it should get easier the more you do it.

HD - As always thank you for your wise and kind advice. You are such an integral part of this group
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
Jim - I am no going anywhere! I love you all and very much still feel like a newcomer
Great, we can use the support!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Thank you Tanja that was really sweet of you
Have a great day. Hugs to you and everyone on this thread.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Good news I have an interview for a career in my field tomorrow. It is Temp-Permanent, but it's the same money basically.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Good news I have an interview for a career in my field tomorrow. It is Temp-Permanent, but it's the same money basically.
WWG---good luck on that interview.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post

WWG---good luck on that interview.
Thanks a little nervous, but I need to nail the interview.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Thanks a little nervous, but I need to nail the interview.
when is it?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post

when is it?
9am tomorrow and they need someone ASAP.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

WWG, I can totally relate to your situation. I don't know if you've seen my previous posts, but I lost a job for which I was supremely qualified and that involved helping people. My excellent performance was ignored. "Budget cuts." Period.

Good for you for getting right out there and already landing an interview!! Good luck.

I would like to gently point out that it's nice so many of you found better jobs after losing yours, and I know your words come from a good place, but that doesn't always happen. I too got right on the job hunt. But there simply aren't any jobs in my field in this city. I sent out CVs anyway, but when nothing turned up, I accepted a job teaching that pays less than waitressing. I'm happy to be doing what I love, but it's humiliating to be paid less than your students! I'm also focusing on the fact that my hours are more flexible. But sometimes it's hard to be positive. I've also been really sick for two days, which may affect my attitude.

I had to say something so I don't get resentful. What if losing one's job does NOT lead to a better job? I guess acceptance is key then, and I'm not quite there yet.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
WWG, I can totally relate to your situation. I don't know if you've seen my previous posts, but I lost a job for which I was supremely qualified and that involved helping people. My excellent performance was ignored. "Budget cuts." Period.

Good for you for getting right out there and already landing an interview!! Good luck.

I would like to gently point out that it's nice so many of you found better jobs after losing yours, and I know your words come from a good place, but that doesn't always happen. I too got right on the job hunt. But there simply aren't any jobs in my field in this city. I sent out CVs anyway, but when nothing turned up, I accepted a job teaching that pays less than waitressing. I'm happy to be doing what I love, but it's humiliating to be paid less than your students! I'm also focusing on the fact that my hours are more flexible. But sometimes it's hard to be positive. I've also been really sick for two days, which may affect my attitude.

I had to say something so I don't get resentful. What if losing one's job does NOT lead to a better job? I guess acceptance is key then, and I'm not quite there yet.
Thanks S&S. it is tough. But, I realized if I wasn't sober this would have been impossible to move ahead. People always say that things happen for a reason. Maybe they do. I just need all the prayers I can get.
Losing a job has really put things into perspective. I also have an amazingly strong wife.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Safe and Sound - I hope you feel better soon. I do agree that losing a job may not always lead to a better job, but I do believe that somewhere down the line it may very well happen.