Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 15

Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Oh Dee thank you for your thoughts and I'm REALLY glad you are feeling better. I find a lot of comfort in your words and I hope Lofty finds that too.

AUSSIE BABY MONKEY IN OVERALLS. Ack! So CUTE!

Lofty, sending calm vibes to your home and to YOU.

PBC, thank you for Aussie's new avi. AND, for the words of wisdom about starvation mode. When you describe it, that sciences makes sense as opposed to the misconception I had in my head too. Hope you are doing well and know that I'm thinking of you with loving happy appreciative thoughts for your wonderfulness.

Hi Dave! You are a busy working man. Any fishing in your future?

Today is Day 4 of logging my food and making good choices. I haven't wanted sweets so I haven't had them. Interesting. Maybe because I'm choosing better nutrition? I'm gangbusters for fueling my runs, that's my inspiration.

The amount of effort reminds me of my early days of sobriety. Not even one day at a time. Each meal requires thought and concentration and reflection.

An old friend's mom died yesterday. Very sad. I can't make the funeral tomorrow because husband and I are taking my parents to Mother's Day brunch tomorrow. So I'll drive down to the wake tonight.

Today is going to be a good day.

Mirage has told us about her weekend plans, how bout others?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Administrator

just taking it easy for me Frances - maybe some music making on Sunday

D
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks, Dee. I really appreciate your response, and your insights. Glad you are feeling better! I had noticed your diminished presence, but didn't know if you were ill or just attending to the flood of newcomers.

Much to my chagrin, esteem is a factor with me; a big one. I've actually been giving it quite a bit of thought lately, mostly triggered by posts I've read here. I was raised by two parents who showed their love differently. My dad was raised by two raging alcoholics, and has memories of he and his twin finding their mom wheeled home in a shopping cart from the bar, passed out, and left on the front walk. This happened before he was 10 yrs old. They would stay up each night til she got home. Dad would have to be dragged from the barstool on Christmas eve and such for a holiday dinner. The kids were left pretty much to their own devices. My dad escaped to the military as soon as he legally could, at 17 or 18, and that pretty much defined his formative years. My childhood was fraught with militaristic-style parenting from my dad, but that was tempered, to my ultimate confusion, but an loving, over-tolerant mother. Her parents were also alcoholics, but of means, and jovial and tolerant. Anyway, my dad had no experience of a normal loving household to pass to us. We were given high expectations, buttressed with high discipline, but without much reward or just normal love. Self-esteem was not conveyed to my generation in my family, and I see it in my life and my siblings. It has gnawed significantly at my self confidence, which I learned to find in a bottle.

And, sometimes, I'm just entirely detached. Yesterday, I had a slew of things to do to follow up on my marketing initiative. I needed a 150% energy productive day, and instead had a 50% at best. It wasn't enough. I was despairing at the end of the day at my lack of production.

I also feel like I've plateaued in my sobriety growth/progress, but I still have a long way to go. It's frustrating. I need to figure out how to get to the next level.

Finally, it's PMS week here, and I was lit into on a couple occasions, which takes all the wind out of my sails. My response buried me even further, as I responded with an "f you" to my wife in front of my daughter, and felt like an idiot for my lack of control, and of setting a loving example.

I pray today will be better, but it already is by waking up to your post. Thanks.

Last edited by LoftyIdeals; 05-11-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: I had to add "much to my chagrin" as it fit.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Ok...upon re-reading, I may come off like a big crybaby above. I hope not. I've just been unraveling some unresolved stuff, and it helps to write about it. I am lucky to have had parents that didn't abuse me. They did the best they could. Same with my wife. I'm lucky to have such a beautiful, energetic, forgiving woman in my life. Too often, I forget how lucky I am.

And, I'm lucky to have found each of you. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

What I hear is a thoughtful, intelligent man working on worthy endeavors with diligence and humility.

In my experience, changing a habit takes a huge investment of energy. When a habit becomes Business as Usual, it takes much less energy to keep going. You are changing A LOT and you are flourishing and growing.

In my garden, stressing a plant by nipping or pruning makes it bloom and fruit better.

I think God is a wonderful gardener.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Frances Lofty

night guys

D
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thank you both. Those are beautiful words.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

OK one more posty post.

One of the Recovery Promises I am hoping to receive is that "I remain calm and confident and OK no matter what someone says to me." <--I made this up, I don't think it's on the official list.

I want this Promise so that I can resume Contact with my older sister at some point.

When I have this Promise, I will be able to spend time in her physical presence and remain solidly happy and grounded no matter what she says to me. I will be able to take good care of myself and remain in my World View if something outrageous happens. For example, if she is outright outrageous I will simply calmly leave.

I wish this Peace for you Lofty.

For me, when I am off the rails, my husband is not ruffled or angered. He just accepts and notices it as me being super emotional or immature at that moment. The moment passes, I apologize, he accepts it gracefully, I learn from it, and IT'S OVER. IN THE PAST.

I swear to you this is how it happens. My husband is VERY emotionally mature, in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I admire your husband for his grace and fortitude, Frances. Although, you probably don't get as wound up as my dear wife gets during that emotional week. We have a lot of dynamics at play, including hypothyroidism, perimenopause, daily stress, and incompatible communication styles to begin with. Our premarital testing told us we were only 10% compatible in communication and conflict resolution. Unfortunately, it has proven to be the case. So, we know we have major challenges, but throw in a torrential week of hormonal storms (and we never know when, with perimenopause) and it's a freak show around here. I, on the other hand, am short-tempered when even keel gets just a little off, so...KABOOM!

If I tried to bottle up my reactions, my heart would already have exploded. Or my head. Take your pick.

So who do I blame? Both of us and neither of us.

But, I accept your promise wish. And wish the same for you! I can imagine the emotional spike and triggers that are in place to overcome with your sister.

Hi PBC! I see you there!

Gotta get back to work!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Ok...a productive day it's been today. Marketing plan progress was made. Yard sale held and $440 netted. Still have tomorrow, so my goal of $700 into the vacation fund may yet be met. It would be nice to not incur any new debt on this years vacation. I just have to work at it and it shall be achieved.

Have a great weekend all. Don't know how much I'll be a-postin'.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
orangutan

Dee sorry to hear you have been sick but glad your better now.

Wise words from both Dee and Frances, Lofty nothing I can add but I hope you can keep the AV at bay.

I don't have a lot going on this weekend, we are going out sunday night for Chinese with my parents for Mothers Day .
Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Productivity kept going last night, until I said "enough" and built a fire in the pit to stare at. I had a few moments to myself, before my wife and out next door neighbors (the sane ones) came over. It was nice. They each had a cocktail or two and we had a good chat until midnight. They've had some good stuff happen that we caught up on. It was nice to be able to share that way. Rewind to last year. If they had come over, (meaning they determined I wasn't already sloshed), I would have had my drunk, arrogant, cynical act on, and I would have had a rush of jealousy, had I heard of their success. Instead, I was able to genuinely be happy for them last night. It was fun. Wife got just a little tight, and they were relaxed.

One thing that comes to mind. Many folks I know who can "control" their drinking are able to do so, in part, because of folks in their lives who overdo it. They see them as an example of what not to be. That's not an innate filter I have. Rather, I see. or saw, another drunk as an invitation to be at least that drunk.

I'm glad I'm sober. It made it easier to get up at 5:45 with Rish-And-Shine Rosie. Hmmm...sounds like a good kids book title!

Yard sales are good things. They make you realize how blessed you are. And, they can help you determine which stuff you own, and which owns you. I parted with a few dear items yesterday, but fetched a fair price from which I didn't budge. It felt good to not be owned by stuff I'm not using. Just saying. Plus, the people are fun to meet and chat with. And, guess what? We have a full set of 1952 Britannica Books of the World (the ancient and modern classics), and a few folks told us to put those away as they are worth something. We paid nothing for them, they were in storage, and we thought $35 was a fair price. We pulled them, and checked online. They will fetch $250 on Ebay! Thanks to those honest souls. We also learned where we can sell our unused clarinet. Interesting story; we got it for $1 at a yard sale in distressed condition. Put a couple hundred in it to restore it, and were told by the music store it could fetch up to $1000. But, then we stored it and forgot about it. 4 years later, it sits in the closet. We met a fellow band mom who told us which instructor will appraise and find a buyer. Neat stuff!

Sorry to get so detailed, but I love a bargain. They excite me. It may sound like we are selling off everything, but we are just purging what no longer fits in our house or our life, now that we are built out and settled. It's a relief. And it funds a vacation!

Hope all are doing well. Have a great day!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Sounds like a nice night! Glad you were able to enjoy it. It was beautiful yesterday, wasn't it??

Wow, you're makin a mint at that garage sale! I've only had 2, I think. One was before we moved here and I had a ton of baby stuff, so I made a lot. Like $500, I think. But I had a stroller, a crib, bouncy seats, etc. I cried when my stroller sold. And to make matters worse, he bought it, but couldn't pick it up till later, so I had to look at this stroller for days. haha. A lot of memories attached to that. Ok, I'm tearing up just thinking about it. AHEM! The other was 2 summers ago and I think I made 10 bucks. Ha. We don't get any traffic in this sub and I was just givin stuff away. The boys get a big kick out of it..maybe we'll do it again this summer when the sub does theirs.

Ben's soccer game today and the bar to watch my friend play, tonight. Still fighting the cold. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Morning!

The wake last night was sad but glad I went. Up early this morning and drove into the City for a 6 miles race in Central Park. Did well, home already at 11AM and now to shower. Parents will be here in 1.5 hours for us to take them out to lunch.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Hello my friends, I'm off to the bar for the band. Feelin good, lookin cute, just kinda wishing I could drink tonight. Sitting in a bar sucks after awhile. He only has a couple more gigs left cuz he's leaving the band, so I want to be there for him a few more times. And I do enjoy watching him play and getting out like this sometimes. Anyway..just feeling a teeny twinge of envy for everyone else who gets to catch a buzz tonight. Alas. Enjoy your evenings/mornings.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry mirage - I can't think of a worse place to be when you think you're missing out...

But maybe you can use it...take a look around tonight - especially at the end of the night...I guarantee you'll see a not so rosey view of folks who got their buzz on...but didn't stop there.

Take that part of you that thinks you're missing out on something - and make it look at the reality

D
Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
orangutan

Mirage , I know that feeling only to well, I sure hope you get through the night sober.Sending strength your way.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

We must be on the same cosmic plane, Mirage. I actually made a plan to chuck it all last night. I finished up the yard sale, bushed, and we were supposed to have a cookout with the neighbors, on a bet over who would do better. I thawed out a bunch of chicken and ribs, since we were losing (knowing we would), but they weren't serious about the bet. Anyway, our other "small group" friends had also called to invite us to their wine and cheese party. We went to church, and then decided to go to the wine and cheese party. I'm glad, as I could tell the wife really wanted to go. But, I was thinking, "9 months is enough of a break...I need to return to normal life...I spend to much time on SR, and it's a distraction...I can handle it this time..."

What wound up happening is that I was handed a wine glass, and I set it down, empty. The host, my beer brewing buddy, offered me beers on at least three rounds he provided. He hasn't done that before. I got the feeling that maybe others, possibly my wife, had decided it had been long enough for me to not drink. Not like they were out to get me drunk, but there were gentle nudges. I don't like being led, so I resisted by not drinking.

At the end of the night, folks had let their hair down, and I remember that feeling. Good and buzzed, tired, and headed home. I was acutely aware of their unsteady gait, and little foibles in their driving as they parted. I remembered that I would have come home and polished off another beer or six, until my eyes closed and I laid on the couch. I remembered this morning that my head would not only feel tired (as it does), but that it would have a little chronic ache, or still be swimming, as I denied to myself that I get hangovers. But, my temperament would be short for much of the day. Instead, when I got home, I waited up for my son to return home from work and had a nice conversation with him. He had hit a raccoon on the way home, and the thump it made in the car had disturbed him. I was there for him, and talked about it, instead of blowing him off because I was "too tired" to deal with it. I was glad I was sober last night, and glad this morning as I played with my pup. I was even present enough last night to be amorous with the wife; an event that booze was not helping me with at the end of my drinking.

I am not like my friends. I could try to be, but I'd be selling out. I'm like we are. And I like being like that.

Hope all are doing well this morning. Happy Mother's Day!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

****{Hugs}}} and gratitude to your God Lofty who delivered you home sober to be there for your family. Hugs to you for being sober this morning to take care of the new furry baby in your home, Rosie Posie.

Mirage, hope you had singing dancing sober fun.

Yesterday was a very full day with moments of Light that shone in through the cracks. Like in Aussie's sig. The Light that beams in through my imperfect cracks. We spent dinner with our friends who have the special kiddos I love. THEY LOVE ME. They are wonderful children who know that I am a grownup who LOVES THEM.

I could tell you about how I helped them with their dinners and that I shared their artichokes with them or looked at the gifts they made for their mom or admired their garden but none of those details get at the truth of it.

It's the truth like Lofty being up for his son coming home and needing his dad's comfort and wisdom.

Very deep for early Sunday.

Super happy that today is about gardening.

Sending Marcher Gratitude to all!

Happy Mother's Day!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Wow Lofty, I'm glad you decided not to partake!! How nice you were there for your boy. Yes, my mood and patience are SO much better and even now, too. Booze f***s you up in more ways than one. I always try to remember that.

Thanks Dee and everyone..that encouragement was really nice and appreciated. The night went really well. The crowd was pretty mellow and smaller compared to other gigs, which helps my frame of mind. I wasn't itchin to get out of there like the last time. Only one friend from hs came and he and I sat over sodas, and he taught me a lot about my phone. ha. Oh and my Choi instructor showed up when he saw my post on fb. That was cool, I hadn't seen him in a long time. (I was an orange belt in Choi Kwang Do before I had to quit when the recession hit. He's trying to get me to go back, and I have considered it lately. Training was much harder when I was hungover all the time. Part of me really wants to get that black belt and to add it to my sobriety. It's a big commitment and a lot of money, tho. I'll keep it in mind.) So I left a few songs into the 3rd set and was in bed, sober, listening to the rain, alone in the house, at 2:00 am.

Hoping to see the Avengers today with the fam. Waiting for D and T to come home from up north, and I have to go get B from my parents. Flowers were delivered this morning! How nice! (dh) Hope you all have a great day..I'll check in later. Love you guys.