Notices

Class of May 2012 pt 3

Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of May 2012 pt 3

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

As we end the end of the month - a reminder - when May ceases to be the current month, I'll move this thread to our Daily Support Forum - so if you lose track in a few days look for us there

D
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lilac, I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling.

Hopefully the counsellor might be that extra element you need to break the cycle and strike out in new directions?

D
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning folks!

Lilac, I'm glad you're seeing a counselor. I think that's a great idea. I'm sorry you drank and you're not feeling well. Let us know how the appointment goes. (hugs)

How is everyone doing today?

Nothing new here, just Day 15. I looked at pictures we took yesterday and I have to say I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I look good and look different. I think this is suiting me.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee, Payton, thanks. I do think working with a counselor will give me the additional support I need. The thing that I am nervous about, that I didn't notice when I first was looking up counselors in this area, is that she has a background in 12-step treatment. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that AA is not how I want to proceed with recovery. I find SMART and RR more compelling, even though I do seek some sort of spiritual fulfillment. I'll go in with an open mind. If she's not a good fit for me, then I have the name of another counselor I can call.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well Payton do you want shotgun on this thread or not? Quick, before that elephant shows up.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lilac, sorry to hear you slipped. It might be good to let the counselor know early on your thoughts about SMART and RR -- I think most good counselors, even if they have a background in AA, will have dealt with alternative methods for people who have reservations about AA.

Payton, I know what you mean about the pictures. I noticed yesterday how much thinner and non-bloated I look in the face, and I swam a mile at the acquatics center to try and get the same look on the old 40-year old tire Worked pretty well, too! But yes, looking better I think contributes to us feeling better.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a sober past two days since I've been away. I just wanted to say that over the weekend, and this morning, I've come to realize one large reason why I drank - at least alone - so often. Perhaps you will recognize something in this quote from Carl Jung, who wrote this to Bill Wilson, co-founder of AA:

"Craving for alcohol is the equivalent on a low level of the spiritual thirst of our being for wholeness, expressed in medieval language: the union with God ... Alcohol in Latin is "spiritus," and you use the same word for the highest religious experience as well as for the most depraving poison. The helpful formula therefore is: 'spiritus coontra spiritum.'"

In other words, for me, I liked to drink to lose myself, not because I didn't like myself or couldn't deal with my problems, but because I simply, on a spiritual level, liked the dissolution of the ego that accompanied my alcohol consumption. I'm sure some other reasons were present as well, but to date, my self-examination has brought me to this conclusion. I've always wanted to recapture feelings of oneness with everyone and everything that I once had, many years ago. I think alcohol might be a substitute for that craving ...

Anywho, just wanted to toss that out there. Have a wonderful day everyone, and I'll talk to you soon.

Harpo
Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day Five begins. This will be my first day without my kiddos, and my first day back to work, so it could be a challenge but I'm convicted in my belief that I won't have a drink today.

Lilac, I'm very sorry for your fall, but so happy you're able to share that with us and working to break the cycle.

Payton, congrats on day 15!

Payton and Deserto, I'm starting to see the same things -- even after five days of not inhaling the fermented (and demented) blue agave I see a difference in my face. The redness has faded and the bloating is floating away.

I am beyond grateful for SR and my new friends. Keeping up the fight...C
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Harpo, thanks for the great quote.

Crewisms, it's a great feeling, isn't it?

Somebody take shotgun... those bugling elephants shove the seat so far back....
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lilac - Keep at it. As I've said before, I've had several go-rounds as most of us have. Keep fighting. Eventually, alcohol will kick your behind so much that you will simply rise up and say "enough is f''ing enough." That's what I'm saying right now, and while I do not know what the future holds, I do know that when temptation strikes again, I will be more armed and more ready than I ever have been. Arm yourself Lilac, and you will do this with everyone who cares about you at your side, including us.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 9, and ever since I made it through Saturday I've been feeling great about this. Not that I'm not still struggling, but the alcoholic voice is more of a soft murmur in the background, rather than the insistent bleating that nearly drove me to madness last Saturday. This must be that "pink cloud" somebody in another thread mentioned, right?

Anyway, it's really sinking in that I'm quitting drinking forever. It's one thing to go around saying it, quite another for it to become real. It's just not even an option to drink, not with the responsibilities that are part of the deal when you have three kids. Now that I've had the chance to look at things more clearly, I don't see how I can continue on my former path. Besides, it's not just about my kids, I have a high opinion of myself and I know that I deserve better.

But I've decided I'm definitely not going to go to AA; the 12 step thing doesn't speak to me. I know it's possible to take a secular approach to it, but I still don't identify with it at all. Besides, it's not easy for me to get away by myself, and I think my time would be better spent exercising, getting outside, and going to yoga. These are things that make me feel calm and positive, less likely to crave a drink. I'm going to take some of the book suggestions around here and start doing some reading though, because I sure don't have all the answers.

So that's where things are with me right now.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's almost noontime on day 2 and I'm feeling ok so far. The big challenge will be after work so I have quiet things lined up to do at that time. A nice, simple dinner; do my mindfulness meditation (just restarted that last night after a fairly lengthy hiatus); start reading one of the books that I downloaded last night -- they were recommended here. I hope that by focusing on these things that I will be more comfortable.

I've checked in here a couple of times today. Being able to come here to this welcoming and helpful forum means more than I can adequately express so I will say a simple "Thank you!".

Saskia
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A question:

once we hit June 1st, I would guess that the June group is for those who joined in June? Do we continue our thread after it has been moved or do we move on to other threads?

thanks!
Saskia
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Saskia, congrats on Day 2! This thread will continue indefinitely, it will just be moved from the "Newcomer's to Recovery" section to the "Newcomer's Daily Support Threads" section, which is right below the former on the main forum page.

Dee has the keys and the truck and the tools to move the thread -- so we don't have to do anything other than click in a different place to get here.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 26 here! So proud of myself and everyone else who made it through this US holiday weekend sober! Never realized how many people drink so heavily over Memorial Day. Hope everyone is great and has a nice day and week!
All the best,
Lee
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Day 4 for me, and absolutely no cravings. I consider myself a non-drinker now most definitely!
I'm still planning some positive changes to my life do its not all work and no play. Getting stocked up on reading material for the weekend and may go and buy a bike.....! That's pretty amazing for me as I'm soooo lazy!!
Think my experience of relapse has been the kick up the butt I needed and I'm never planning to go there again!!
Nice to hear how well things are going for you Lee.
Love and best wishes to you all xxx
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

***** Jeni & Lee
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jeni, bike riding is so much fun -- it makes me feel like a kid again. Congrats on Day 4!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Luling.
I used to love riding a bike when I was a kid, but obviously I was a whole lot fitter then!!x
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Saskia, tell me more about your meditation practice! I'd love to hear.