we continue from here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-14-a-20.html

D
Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wahoo! I'm never first!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you all had a great weekend. We didn't really have plans on Sunday, so I took the oldest to see The Hunger Games (we had both read it), and then we all went out for an early pizza dinner. Watched some of the Tiger Game, some of the Masters, had a nap, it was very nice. Need to stay away from chocolate today, tho!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Sounds like a lot of us had a first class weekend. Sorry about the work situation, Aussie!

Hope Dave had a great weekend as well!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Editor

LoftyI missed your 8 month But before you know it..... It will be 9!
Dang Phone! I will get back.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Sweat not, my man. I got through it without ya!

Hope your holiday was well, and that this week is less on ya than last.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And so we keep going, thanks Dee!

Yay Mirage for firsties!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Editor

Fished Friday after work....blast. Fished Saturday all day....blast. After church and Easter Dinner with the parents... we(wife and kids)went to our new AA Blue wahoos baseball team(Cincinnati Reds)--- Trigger. Dang half the game all I saw was tall cold beers walking past me calling my name.On the good side..... It really was a quality played baseball game. No errors. A few really nice hits and a gorgeous day. The new stadium is right on the bay. It was really a beautiful place, but Baseball+sunshine+nice breeze+ hotdogs = I wanted a beer....to the point of I almost said F' it. Then I thought it through and my son actually said...yea you would probably really enjoy it today.....but think about how you would feel tomorrow and that is what made me regroup and get a Mountain Dew.

Lofty I love the start of your post from yesterday. He has risen indeed! That is one of my favorite parts of Easter Sunday service...and brings a warm place into my heart. I also had a wonderful moment at the ball park. New stadium and all. They had a quartet singing the national anthem.....There were technical errors and the pa went down on the second line of the anthem.....me being a problem solver got stress then this wonderful sound started resonating through out the entire stadium....the 4000 spectators carried on the national anthem and did not miss a beat....tears filled my eyes with the beauty of the moment and this wonderful place I live. God bless America and the people who keep it what it is.
I missed you guys last week and hope that you are all doing well.

He is risen indeed!
Dave
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dave...you hit the nail on the head re: why we didn't go to the Red's opening night Saturday. I didn't want the temptation. Even though I went to a couple fall games and had not trouble not drinking or being tempted, it's an entirely different feel than a brand new season, spring sunshine, and, well, you get the rest. Wife and I both really wanted to go, and finally, I told the wife to go with a kid. We all stayed home and watched the game on the big screen. Almost as good as being there, and got stuff done at the same time. Yep, baseball, good weather, shorts and sunglasses; all triggers for me. I even talked about it at my meeting last night. But, I'm getting stronger by the day, and venturing out of my new comfort zone. It's a good thing, overall. THANK GOD FOR YOUR SON! My daughter reminded me to stay sober this weekend, too. I thank God for that.

Glad you had a good Easter, bud. I am green with envy about your fishing!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lofty and Dave you did great recognizing and dealing with your triggers, well done and way to go.

My most favorite part of the Easter story is when the women go at sunrise to care for Jesus' body and they meet the angels. The angels tell them, "He is not here." I find it very special indeed that the first humans who found out about the Resurrection were humble women. (Just like the Angels told the Shepherds about the birth....)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Easter is a beautiful Holy Day...I had mixed emotions as I was not with any family members...made me sad...especially when I went to neighbors and they live in my Grandmother's old house. It brought back fond memories (wishing I could go back to my youth) but made me very sad. I had to walk outside a few times to suck in some fresh air.
Luckily no one (well just one person) was drinking and they were loud & obnoxious & stood out like a sore thumb. I've got to watch the past, as sometimes it does suck you in & toy with your emotions. I prayed a lot on Easter...I believe it helped.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats to all of you for doing so well!

Dave, I would have been a blubbering mess during the anthem ... that's so beautiful. Funny how an "error" can turn into something more powerful and beautiful than we could ever plan.

Frances, and did you ever notice how the people responded to the angel? The big strong soldiers fell down and were paralyzed with fright, yet the women were fine. Interesting.

I was thinking about how amazingly SHOCKING it must have been. I mean, He'd been dead for 3 days! They'd given up hope. We know about the third day, but they had no idea it was coming. We was dead! For a while, too! How cool/freaky/wonderful is that???

Our service was soooooo beautiful. The people really, really got into the music ... they danced and clapped and shouted and I loved it! Jim did fabulously on the drums, and though he was terrified the whole time, he felt good about how it turned out. I was so proud of him! Then we had baptisms ... one baby (don't get me started!), 1 woman, and 2 very, VERY large men (serious body builders ... they do a special ministry in schools and other teen outreaches). It was a full immersion thing, so they had to bring in other body builders to lift them in and out of the water. Lots of tears.

Tomorrow I get to start the new coaching thing I'm doing ... I've been asked to host a weekly conference call to answer questions that other leaders have about our program and how to lead. I hope it goes over well! I'm also going to present a weekly "topic" for discussion so that we can all learn from each other.

Busy night ahead ... taking dd15 to drivers' ed (she starts her last session today), then dd11 has her therapy appointment. I need to write the segment for my FOX thing on Thursday, too ... I may or may not get to it tonight.

Love to you all!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes PBC I really like thinking about these Bible stories from the perspective of uneducated regular people....what must it have been like to experience these events?

*SPLASH!* for baptisms.

I had a town person ask me to do something by email for a town committee....but he didn't ask, he TOLD ME TO DO IT, like you would tell an employee. So weird and inappropriate. There were a lot of people copied on the email. I called him to decline and he yelled at me! I told him I was shocked by his tone. He said, "Oh, I was just getting aggressive with you because that works on some people."

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told him (calmly) that I could see how that might work but it doesn't for me. And to please not ever use that tone with me again.

Obvy, I'm not doing the work for him. Sheesh.

OK, you people who aren't freelancers like me. Am I so out of touch with the business world that it's common behavior to treat people like that? And this isn't even business and he's not my boss. He's the volunteer chair of a VOLUNTEER TOWN COMMITTEE. Sheesh!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Frances...there's one in every crowd. And no, you are not out of touch in the world according to Lofty. There are those types in AA too, and that's a volunteer organization...although maybe an involuntary volunteer org
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not unprecedented but no I don't think it's common - the guy sounds like a jackass Frances.

D
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's weird, frances. People are strange. Someone should write a song about that.

Good morning! Watching snow fall this morning! Teaching kindergarten this afternoon at B's school. T gets his tooth pulled on Friday so he'll miss school and we'll have the weekend to help him feel better. Dh will be out of town. Lucky dog is going golfing in Myrtle Beach tomorrow till Sunday, so this tooth thing will be all me. Hopefully it'll all go well. I think B is a bit jealous of the attention T has been getting lately with the glasses, braces, and tooth thing. I told him we'd go get him a Lego kit on Thursday so he can work on it over the weekend that T might be needy with his tooth pain. He's excited. Have a great day guys!!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Really quiet day on the March front! Hope all are doing well.

Snow, Mirage? Wow! It was in the 40s here but sunny as can be. Gotta love it.

Anyway, I'm just checking in. If you get a chance, I highly recommend hoppin' over to FB to check out PBCs post today. Awesome!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Making money over here, nose to grindstone! Hope everyone is doing well and happy today.

So glad for no S-word here.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Editor

frances...I think that you are totally off base....Now get on here and Blog!]

Long night last night..little sleep...family under the weather...Busy day at work....= dave doesnt get to see his friends. Have a good night all.
Dave
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, Lofty! That was the song I wrote for them on Valentine's ... I was just feeling all emotional and reposted it for dd12's birthday. My baby is 12! And I realized yesterday morning that I'd been so busy with Easter that I'd dropped the ball on her birthday ... and birthdays are still very important when you're 12. So, I took the day off from work and did a bunch of stuff for her. The biggest thing was that I completely cleaned and organized her room, which had been a huge mess. I went through drawers, her closet, everything. Cleaned baseboards and walls and light switches and vacuumed every nook and cranny. Then I bought all new matching hangers for her closet, sorted out the clothes that no longer fit, and organized it all by color. Oh, and she'd wanted a fan for her room, so I bought one and put it together and had it all set up. And moved a desk that she'd wanted from our room into hers (that thing was HEAVY!). Then, I made her a cake and had my oldest dd run to the store for a bunch of gifts, and we all went out for dinner together. She loved it all! And dd15 who turns 16 in a month asked if I'd do her room, too.

I had some TERRIFIC news, too ... I was chatting with my territory manager about the conference call that I was moderating last night, and she offered me 2 new meetings in Grand Rapids!!! I'm so excited! I've had the same schedule for years now ... it's hard to get new meetings because people don't give them up. But this leader is going full time at another job, and our tm really wanted to get me into the Grand Rapids mix. In fact, we are going to be opening another store in a couple months, and she wants me to take ANOTHER meeting when it opens in Grandville (other end of Grand Rapids). These are all Thursday meetings (one at 8am, 9:30am, and noon), and the income will more than triple what I make at the boutique on weekends, so ..... I get to give up my weekend day at the boutique! I'll be on a 4 day work week, with Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off every week! Wooooot!!! I'm so excited about this!

And the conference call went well, I think. I had to cut it short at the 30 minute mark because I want to respect everyone's time, but there were still lots of questions to discuss at that time. Hopefully, they'll talk about it and more will participate each week. I hope they found value in it!

Frances, that's crazy about that guy. I work with a lot of people, and I've never experienced that. I'd suggest he read some Dale Carnegie! (which are actually quite good books that I highly recommend to everyone. I've had my oldest read some of his stuff and I'll have the others read, too ... it's valuable life skills that many people don't possess.)

Don't work too hard, Dave! We miss you when you're not around. I mean, surely entertaining us is more important than the physical needs of your patients, right?

Mirage, leggos rock. Do your boys collect all the kits? I must say, I miss the days when you could just buy the big general leggo tubs at any store. It seems like those are hard to find now. And we had snow all day yesterday, too ... it was surreal after having 80 degrees for a week back in March. Nothing stuck, thank goodness.

Love to all of you! smooooooch!