Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 15

Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

P.S. Yay! Lofty got laid!!

(you know I wasn't gonna let that just go by without a comment of some sort.)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Uh-huh...
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you guys stayed strong

D
Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks, Dee, for always being here. I've hit an icy patch in the road, where I'm weighing the focus I spend on recovery vs. the focus I spend on work and life. I had convinced myself that drinking was the catalyst and was thinking 'f-it', I'll just drink. But, I had to think through the whole picture. Fortunately, my pride of not wanting to be led or worked by others helped me be stubborn against the drink, but that was just a moment. I need to get more active in my AA program to continue to be mindful of the problems it was causing me, especially during this slippery patch. I don't want to just whiteknuckle to a year to say I made it a year. Rather, I want to reach the point that I know I am on the right path to growth in my sobriety, and that I am committing daily to a lifetime of sobriety. I want to be able to take that for granted. I'll have to continue to focus on it daily, but in a way that is conducive to the rest of my life's goals.

If you are familiar with the "j" or "s" curves in growth models, I'm at the jumping off point of my initial curve, ready for the next level. However, the graph lines don't meet at this point, and chaos can reign, so it's a dangerous point. I think I need to find a new outlet for growth. I'm thinking that working out physically may be my new frontier here.
Diets aren't working, and I've become complacent and lethargic, physically. I need to get the blood and endorphins flowing. That, in turn, I think, will fuel the next growth curve in my business. To summarize, I'm realizing the importance of goal setting, so I don't get to a point where I'm just treading water.

But, I'm sober today, thankfully. Yesterday was a screwy day. I didn't drink, but we sat in the rain for hours at the ball game, waiting on a rain delay. We finally gave up, and went home after 2.5 hrs. Then, the game started about an hour later. I had finished cooking dinner and my phone alarm went off ten minutes before my AA mtg. In a flash, I remembered I was supposed to have been there early to make coffee. I had a few apologies to make, and did, but I think it made me a little more human in some others eyes that I don't know well.

Another busy week this week. Time to make the donuts!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Morning!

Liking the S-curve idea for progress.....it takes more energy to get around the curve and stay on course but you pick up momentum for the next straight-away. Is that right?

Ideas for physical fitness goals, 16-week window:
1. Mini-Tri (short swim, short bike, short run/walk)
2. Major National Park hike on family vacation (a la Grand Canyon)
3. Century Bike Ride (100 miles) with wife & son
4. What else?....

Brainstorming here, I know you have bum knees.

Posting and running here, but thinking of each of you!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Great ideas, Frances. I'd love to do a mini triathlon, but the running/walking is out, so I'll just bike, swim, and weight train. I am thinking I start today.

Heres a chart of what I'm talking about, using S curve's:

There are also j curves, which don't connect. They more closely resemble the concept, but no time to find them on the internet at present.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
growth curve.jpg (4.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Editor

OK,
I was way behind on posts....that took a while. One of the posts that sticks out....is one from frances about how she handles situations in sobriety...no matter what. That is one of my favorite things about not drinking. I had a short fuse when I was at the end of my drinking career. I diffuse hostility now. People look for me now at work to take care of "situations" that really have nothing to do with my line of work. But I dont mind...It reminds me of how I am and dont ever want to be again.

Great weekend. Anniversary Friday. Bonfire Beach Jam on Saturday with my boy and a wonderful day at the beach yesterday with the Fam. Man I am loving life!

Happy Mothers day to all you Muthers.

If anyone needs anything chewed up and destroyed....I can loan you my puppy for a few minutes. Man she is a handful.....But full of love as well. I am looking into gettin a crate today. There are not enough pig ears in Pensacola to keep her Happy at night. She does great when we are playing and hanging out. In the darkest hours of the night....she must get bored and say...hmmmmmm I wonder how those platic bottles and boxes will taste....ooohhhhhh... a leather shoe that will hit the spot.....lets give it a try.
She is fun, loving and beautiful ....just have to get a crate so that mama doesnt send her on her way. Not really....she has fallen for her charm as well.

Ok back to fighting death and saving lives.

Have a wonderful day my friends
Dave
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know much about curves, but I know my recovery is the hub of my wheel of life...I need it to be sound for everything else to work properly.

D
Old 05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well put, Dee! You might say that it's your WHEEL....OF....FORTUNE!!!!! Lol.

Great to hear from you, Dave.

Guess what!? I had a productive Monday! What a great way to start a productive week! I got an email yesterday that led me to believe my marketing initiative was going by the wayside, and I waited until today to respond. I used to never be so wise. I then got a tame message from the angry emailer, and we met today and got a lot accomplished, including a new understanding of how we work together. I went, prepared for success, and prepared to walk away, if necessary. Good stuff, with no anxiety. I don't think I used to allow myself to realize the anxiety alcohol was causing me.

Had 4 productive meetings today, actually. I like it.

Have a great night, all!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

WOW Lofty that's an awesome story. Delighted to hear your Monday was great.

Small victories here that I'm savoring....1) I can tell I'm munchy snacky so I went to the store and bought tons of fruit. Yay me.

And 2) I had an email exchange with a new client that ended with her saying don't call us, we'll call you. I thought, HUH? So I wrote a very nice note asking for feedback and my hopes we can work together soon. She wrote back that it....wait for it....has nothing to do with me, just internal stuff. Can you believe it? I am tickled pink that I didn't overreact and spent the night eating junk out of disappointment See #1.

LOL I'm happy even though I didn't get the job. I amuse easily in Recovery, it would seem.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Morning!

Today's a busy day, last lecture of my class. Up to RUN.

Hope it's a grand-slam day for all....TTYL
Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good morning, one and all...

Hope your class goes well, Frances. Was it TRX? I saw that in a window of Golds gym here for the first time yesterday.

Sorry about the client. I think part of serenity for me is the learning that we win some and lose some, and that we shouldn't take credit or blame for them all. For instance, we sat at the Reds for over two hrs Sunday waiting for the rain delay to end and the game to start. When it was too late for us, we left. They started the game within the hour. In the past, I might have gotten down about that, and maybe taken it (yeah, the weather) personally. But, as a sober person, I could take it with peace. And make lemonade of lemons. We used our time to visit the museum, grab a pretzel, chat, and we ran into two different sets of close friends that we stopped and talked to. All in all, still a good day. Once home, we watched the game on tv, and the Reds closed out the series with a grand slam walkoff homer by Joey Votto, to also save from being swept in the series!

Rosie is SUCH A SWEET DOG!!!! She crates herself for her self assessed down time needs. She is mouthing the right things, not my hand or the furniture, etc. We love her! She's loving us back, too! And learning and obeying the new words in her life.

Lots to do today. I'm enjoying the ride right now. This will be a pivotal week for me at work.

I hope everyone has a most excellent adventure today!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Happy Birthday, Mirage!!!!!!

Happy Birthday, Mirage!!!!

Ahhh....29 again!:day2

So glad that we are friends!

:day1:day6:ghug3
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

!!!!!happy birthday mirage!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Aww..thanks you guys!! I couldn't sleep this morning! I had the birthday jitters! I know at our age, we're supposed to ignore birthdays or at the very least, not care about them.. but I DO! I love my birthday!! haha. Looks like it's shorin up to be a beautiful day around here, too. No plans yet, except going out for my bday dinner. Pizza! Found out that this place we used to go to before we moved has a place up here! I didn't realize they had a couple restaurants, so we're gonna check that out. They have awesome salad and warm bread. Ben has soccer practice, tho..not sure how to sort that out yet.

I hope you all have a great day today, too! Love you guys..so glad you're all in my life. I'm a VERY lucky girl.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Editor

Another day has passed
a year
a thought
a blink in time
yet your beauty shines
like the day you were born
touching people
putting warmth in our hearts
You are not less than you were
only more
with your beauty strength and humor
your insite
your love of pink
your obvious love for your family
on this day
we celebrate you!
Thank you for being
our mirage
A taste of what we all want to be
Happy birthday!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Editor

I saw a quote that I shared with my son....it went like this

there are so many people out there that will tell you that you can't.
what you've got to do is turn around and say,
WATCH ME!

Have a wonderful day Marchers!

Dave
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Aw, that made me cry. Thank you, Dave..it's better than I could have ever hoped. (Not that I was hoping or anything, but if I HAD been hoping, this would have TOTALLY exceeded my expectations. lol) I copied and pasted it in my notebook where I keep good stuff, so I'll always have it. Muah! :ghug3
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy birthday Mirage! :ghug3

D
Old 05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
orangutan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIRAGE

:day6728