Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 15

Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Thanks, tea I can do! I should be taking zinc, too. I've heard to do the Zicam thing when you feel one coming on. Maybe I'll stop in and grab some.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Ha..just got a call to teach the germy pre-schoolers again tomorrow. They're tryin to kill me!!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hope you feel better soon Mirage.

I have been trying to lose some weight myself , I am walking twice a day now and cut right back on the ice cream (it should be easier now that the weather is getting cold) oh how I love my food.

Frances it will be a while before I will be hanging from the straps on the ceiling but you go girl!!!

Didn't win the 70 million in lotto so I will keep my job for now.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't win either aussie

D
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I didn't win either aussie

D
I am in for the 20 million on saturdays draw even though I know I am just
:horse
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Arggghhhh!!!! Lost a long post!

Synopsis:

Got mailbox repaired. Yep, I did it despite saying I wouldn't.

Got remainder of office furnishings in today, but one chair was damaged and without hardware. I think overstock.com was pawning a return on me, which they will hear about and make good on.

Got a lot accomplished with my new assistant, and a partner in a large marketing initiative we are pursuing. Could be a lot of work for nothing, but could pay off nicely.

Hope all Marchers are well!

TTYL.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

OK. I've eaten dinner and I'm fat and happy. Haven't made any progress on the weight loss plan. Maybe because I bought 6 half gallons of ice cream (on sale) and 4 boxes of ice cream bars? A bowl a night is alright. That's my new credo.

Kinda tired this week. Allergies, dog up at night, and dander from the dog. Have had a few f-it moments, but quickly realized it was from being tired, and got over it.

Hope you feel better, Mirage!

Hope you win the lottery, Aussie and Dee! Wait. Scratch that. Hope I win the lottery. Unless they are different lotteries, then I hope we all win.

Good deal on the workouts and Sparkpeople, Frances. New hopes and dreams? That's a tough one; I'll have to give it some thought. I'm just trying to catch up to my old hopes and dreams. Maybe I should give some thought to whether they are still my hopes and dreams, now that I'm sober.

Have a great night, all!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck aussie - I'm opting out
hope you avoid the cold mirage...

D
Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Way to go Aussie on the walking! And enjoying your ice cream!

Mirage, hope you are feeling better. GOod luck with the germys today. Did cha get the new nuker?

Dee, you've already won the lottery in my book, because you are YOU.

Lofty, love how you are reclaiming and cherishing all your hopes and dreams. I support you in reexamining them all and making changes suit the YOU you are doing and are becoming. Shoot for the stars.

Nice 4 mile run. Now to shower.

LOVE SPARKPEOPLE. PIE CHARTS PEEPUL PIE CHARTS.

Something about it is hitting my brain the right way, in the analytical this is a fun game way, instead of beat-myself-up way. Whateva. I'll take it.

Used the pie chart to choose a diff breakfast. Love being mindful enough to CHOOSE.

My dog was happy yesterday and it just made me feel good to see him smiling.

Bought new running tights and wore them for the first time today, all good. Having running clothes the feel and look good is important.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Great start of your day, Frances! Thanks for the cheers!

Today will be a productive day. I can feel it, and I like the feeling. No real physical chores; all mental work. Feels good to have the office situated. Overstock called last night, and made my requested adjustments by crediting 30% of the cost of the chair, and sending the missing parts. I give them high marks on customer service.

Mirage, have you looked online for your microwave? Installation may not be as difficult as you think. I've done quite a few, but I am Bob the Builder, so maybe that's not fair.

Gotta go. Hope all have a great day!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Editor

Well...Took the day off yesterday to welcome the new member of the family. Our 8 month old puppy(dog)(75ppounds). She is a beautiful yellow lab.Her name is Lilly and loves the kids. Nothing like a big ole puppy to keep you on your toes. I will get pictures up as soon as I can.
Life is good!
Dave
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

frances..I ordered the nuker, but it won't be in for 3 weeks or so. Not sure why Best Buy had em, but Lowes didn't, but that's the case. I've waited this long, a few more weeks won't kill me, I guess. And Lofty..I know, install probably isn't hard, but I'm married to the antithesis of Bob the Builder. He didn't even want to try it. And yes, I researched them and read reviews on line. I have a few deal breakers. Like I did not want a "chicken nugget" button, or a "kids meal" button. Also, it's stainless, but the handle is black which I like. I don't cook in it, so it doesn't have to be fancy. I do popcorn, warm up stuff, steam vegetables in the bag, and defrost..that's pretty much it.

Hey Dave...great news! Congrats on the pup! Did we hear what Lofty's puppy is? Is that a cocker spaniel? You both have puppies now, how fun. (Translation: better you than me. haha)

Yep aussie, just now home from the germy kiddos. Some of them are STILL sick from when I saw them last week! Gotta take my Zicam! (Thanks, Dee..I'm workin on it!)

I think this will be the first Mother's Day that I'm not doing anything special with D's mom or my mom. I think I will see my mom in the morning, cuz I have to pick up Ben from the sleepover, so maybe we'll do lunch or something, but I mean no big plans with my bro, etc. It's kinda nice!! I'm hoping D will get home from up north at a decent hour and we can all go see The Avengers together. That would be a fun Mom's Day. Anyone else have plans?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats on getting Lilly, Dave! You're right, they keep ya on your toes!

I hope you feel better Mirage! Did you get to go this a.m. so you could give some of that love back to them?

I'm sitting here working, and I live on a cul-de-sac. This constant stream of cars are coming down and turning around. I'm like, hmmm...did I forget to pay my taxes on the house? Nope, it's just the neighborhood yard sale. I guess we'll do tomorrow and Saturday and get rid of some of our junk!

Rosie is a purebred Irish Setter. She's a beauty, and is already almost twice the size she was 10 days ago. We see the vet this afternoon.

Mother's Day? We have a tradition, by request of the wife, to go to the Reds on Mothers Day every year. Eldest son has to work so we have an extra ticket this year. One of the kids will bring a friend, I guess, but I don't know if they have any motherless friends who won't be having their own celebration.

Mom is catching on to how I like to give and get gifts. She left what she wants in the cart on amazon.com. Wow! That was easy! And then I used my Overstock credit for an additional thing.

Later, taters!

Last edited by LoftyIdeals; 05-10-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: To answer mirage's questions, of course!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Ok ... I haven't read much lately, but when Mirage posted about starvation mode I had to stop and respond. "Starvation mode" is, for the most part, a myth. The Laws of Thermodynamics (not theories or suggestions, but absolute scientific laws) tell us that if you take in MORE calories than you burn, you'll gain. If you take in FEWER calories than you burn, you'll lose. There are no exceptions, no certain times of day that change that, no super foods that bypass that law. So, consuming fewer calories than you burn will ALWAYS net you a loss.

Now, if you were actually starving ... like consuming only 300 or so calories per day for a very sustained period of time, your metabolism would probably be affected and you would start losing SLOWER. But you'd still lose. If that weren't the case, no one would ever starve to death.

One thing that many people don't consider is that, if you don't fuel your body well, you may end up MOVING LESS, and therefore burning fewer calories. This could affect the equation. Or, you may find yourself really, really hungry and sneaking food, or having little bites/licks/tastes that you forget to add in, or having portions later on that equal more calories than you would have had otherwise.

Sorry ... I have to chime in on this stuff.

Oh, and the reason I popped in was to post this for Aussie (it looked like a great avatar for you!):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Aussie.jpg (19.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Thanks PBC, that's the way I saw it, too, but I kept reading stuff to the contrary for people who hit a plateau (or losing slower) and/or for people who are serious workout people. Neither of these apply to me. haha. Thanks for chiming in...I figured that wouldn't get by you.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
orangutan

PBC I love it, I just tried it on and it fits perfectly , thankyou!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well, the moon is in trigger phase at Lofty's house this week. Arrggggghhh..

One of these days, Alice!!!! Why, I'm gonna....
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Stupid moon. Hang in there, Ideals!

Haha..cute monkey!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can find some peace this weekend Lofty

D
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Administrator

You posted in another thread and it kinda got lost Lofty - I hope you don't mind if I add my thoughts here?

Originally Posted by Lofty
What did you folks do to get your lives, careers, marriages, etc., back in gear once you got sober? I'm just not getting it together real well, it seems. At least that's how I feel today. Just really disconnected, complacent and apathetic.
Personally Lofty I think you're doing great - compare yourself and your life to 9 months - I'm willing to bet there's no comparison

But we all know - being sober doesn't make our lives candy canes and unicorns - some weeks can be pretty hard to get through....but I'd rather do it sober than try and do it drunk.

As an example, I've been sick the last 2 weeks or so - I thought last weekend I would need the hospital....but I did what I was told to do...I put one foot in front of the other....and day by day I've felt better...and today I feel the best I have in ages.

I think life can be a lot like that - whether it's a day where it's inch by inch, or mile by mile

about 'getting in gear' specifically...

I was always valuing myself comparatively...I think in my case it was a lack of self esteem. In recovery I purposely avoided thoughts of I should be here by now, or I should be there...

the plain fact is I should be dead with what I did...and whatever else was going on, I had a lot to be grateful for.

I let go of a lot of things I used to agonise over...and I found things still fell into place...

they didn't always fall the way I expected them to, or wanted them too...but I can't say I'm upset now with any of the outcomes

sorry for the essay - I've been meaning to get to answer this all day.

Have a great weekend Lofty - and everyone

D