Notices

Class Of February 2012

Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Just got done climbing and I met some really cool people. We worked out after we couldn't climb anymore, and it was very inspiring for me because it triggered what I used to feel like when I worked out. AKA not a lump of crap.

As we were saying our goodbyes and exchanging number my friend texted me and asked if I wanted to go drink at a bar and watch the superbowl. I almost laughed at the thought of how lame that sounded and how much I really did not want to. (Two weeks ago this would have sounded like a lot of fun)... To be nice though I just said Sounds fun, but I am going to stay in and do homework. Things are actually looking really good for me right now, I just have to keep focusing on this feeling and try to accomplish it every day.

Well I am going to go run my dog to the park and play some fetch with him.

I am proud of all of you guys, and this forum is a main inspiration for me to stay focused. Please stay strong everyone, we all know why we are doing this. Have a great night!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Healthyfood what is sultanas?

Superbowl commercials are funnier than i remember...oh wait...i don't. ba-da-bump...i be here all week folks :rotfxko
Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Germanos, wow climbing?! That sounds really cool, is it indoor? Good job staying in and doing homework instead of going to the bar, way to go man! I see you mention your dog, what kind? I have a mutt (beagle, border collie, german shepard mix) we call him 'The Dingo' or 'Dingus-Kahn'. He's wicked old now, and i think he's senile. sometimes i wake up at night and he's an inch from my face staring at me. I'm pretty sure he's trying to give me a heart attack.

I may be signing off for the night, or i could be back to keep distracted while this game is going on. So far so good w/ the cravings. Wishing everyone a peaceful night and sweet dreams
Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Ugh...ate too much. Better than being plastered!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Lindsey- Yeah it is an indoor gym. Great workout. I can not really feel my arms right now though. My dog is a Shiba, he also like to stare at me when I am sleeping... except he just stand over me and when I open my eyes he thinks it is time to play. I love him though, great dog.

Well I am out for the night, I feel really good. I will see you all in the morning.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

G'night fellow Feb'12ers...

Sleep tight.

Check in with you tomorrow.

-Poppies

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I guess I am in this group. Lets make it big this time!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Morning. On to day 7. I am super tired, couldn't sleep very well last night. I wish I had time for a nap today. Oh well. I will not be drinking today, almost done with week 1.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Good Morning!

Onto day 5!

Haven't made it to day 5 in over a year. Feeling pretty sleepy. Still not sleeping very well, but it's getting a little better every night. Anxiety is still there, but barely feeling it now.

On another note, I am eating too much. It's almost like in my need to consume something, my body is substituting food for alcohol. I am totally aware of this, and have been giving in to it. But I am going to be more aware of it as it's happennng. Make better healthier food choices, and/or find something else to do besides blindly head for the fridge when I feel like I need something. Down a glass of water or a healthy smoothie or even go hop on the treadmill.

One self improvement at a time.

I did (inspired by many of you guys) run on the treadmill for 45 minutes last night, and I'm planning on going to yoga tonight. So I feel pretty good about that.

Happy Monday Feb'12ers!

Poppies
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Day 4.
I actually was relatively night mare free--YEA!!!! I did have a not so great dream, and in it I was literally fighting with my ex over a bottle and...just it's not exactly like that never happened. Classy. So I woke up and was all, ok thank god that didn't happen (during the start of it getting seriously obvious to others I did in fact have a problem, it really made my life into a bad soap opera. the last year I was a massive recluse). Nice change to wake up and realize bad drunken behavior wasn't reality, when it usually was the reverse.

I made a post on facebook about that it was time to stop running to the bottle w/my problems (I am not one to ever really get personal about what's really wrong) and I got a lot of support from people. It hurt a little, though not surprising, that no one in the town I now live in/was hanging out w/lately did anything but make counter offers to go to bars (easier to end contact w/them--it was only to go out I saw them).

PoppiesInJuly- My anxiety is SKY high today, but I did sleep better, I finally hit 6 hours of sleep almost (how sad is that, that's more then I've had in forever!) though I'm absolutely exhausted today. Perhaps it's our bodies kinda realizing--whoa you were treating us like CRAP!
I am starting to feel hungry ALL the time, it's frustrating. I kinda mapped out a rough meal plan for myself, but I know a lot of things I've come across people go through that, and the craving sugar/etc.
45 minutes-go ahead!! That's awesome!!! (i'm jealous)

Orbea- DEFINITELY better. Training for a tri is a goal I have, that's awesome you did that--you know you're more then capable. We just have to keep our eye on the prize and work to reclaim it!

Germanos- Sweet, climbing friends!! I used to love to go to the indoor climbing gym, I hate where I live now the closest is nearly an hour away. Boo. I looked at your profile (wow that kinda makes me sound like a creeper, ha) and I'm guessing that pic of the dogs is one of yours? I LOVE ANIMALS. I pet sit sometimes and do work w/a rescue foundation. Seriously my dogs are god sends.

I REALLY NEED TO STUDY. My focus still sucks. This test won't go well....(or at least I won't do as well as I ought to)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Germanos, I will have to google what a Shiba is. You're getting my wheels turning about the climbing too, there is a place about 5 min from my work that does that. I'll let you know how it goes if I decide to give it a whirl.

Poppies, awesome job with the treadmill!! We need to get Healthyfood to give us some recipes to try!

Logicalparadox, It's nice to get some Zzz's in finally isn't it? I'm hoping better sleep comes sooner than later. I wake up completely soaked from sweat from the bad dreams. But like you said, they are coming fewer everynight.

Louddog430 - HI!

Starting day 4 for me and i am already starting to de-bloat a little. I'm thinking of going home at lunch and doing Jillian Michaels or possible going to get my eyebrows waxed. I'm starting to look like Groucho. You can't see me, but i'm bouncing my eyebrows at you. eh eh eh...

Easy does it all & have a great day!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

If yall ever decide to open a bottle, please come on this forum and read a little. I plan to do the same. 3rd day for me.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I failed in January, but am back on Day 2. I'm feeling very good about my sobriety this time around. I've finally let my roommates know what I'm going through with my anxiety and alcohol issues, and they've all let me know that they will be fully supportive which is a huge relief. Thanks to everyone on this site, it is extremely comforting to know that I'm not the only one.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I am on Day 6, I read alot of posts last night, and it really hit me, that I have been on a yoyo of recovery and relapse, because I have not put in the effort. I worked step 1 yesterday and going to do step 2 today. I will be searching and praying to God for a sponsor to work the program with me. Good luck to all the class of February 2012. Lets get it done!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Eating a lot is okay... Just make sure you exercise

Going back to the climbing gym after my 2 o clock class. I have been feeling incredibly good these past 2 days. My energy levels are high again, and my brain feels more sharp. I actually read before bed instead of watching TV. This is how I want to feel all of the time.

Even though I feel great, I know how easy it can be to relapse. So I looked up my first post on this site from last year in March 2011 to remind me. Obviously I didn't make it last year, but I think I made it 16 days. Now I just have to not make the same mistake as last time.

It reads:

I have not been drinking much this week as the thought of quiting has been constantly taking over. So I was having a few beers at the bar around noon today, and something clicked; my alcoholic career flashed before my eyes as I sat there holding my can of beer. The good times, but mostly the bad...and all of the warning signs and advice from my dad. I left the half full can of beer in the smoky dungeon of a bar that I escape to. Went home to think long and hard.... well here I am starting today March 24th. It won't be the first time but hopefully the last.

First of all I am new here, and I finally realized that I can't do this alone. I really need to talk and not keep this hidden anymore, but who understands the hardships that we go through? I can't believe that I have never thought to google this forum. I have considered AA but it is a 40 minute drive to the closest meeting. I hope to attend soon, but this is a good start.

I started drinking on the weekends when I was 14, it was all fun and games. Party with the big bro, play music... lots of fun. My story could go on so Ill sum it up. I am now 23, and ever since I turned 21 the battle has become increasingly more difficult. I first noticed (became aware) signs of alcoholism about 1 and a half years ago, but I kept making excuses; I always knew in the back of my head where this was leading but I never imagined how fast this enemy sneaks up on you.

I have tried and failed and with each relapse the battle gets more difficult. I now fully admit to myself that I have a problem and it has to end today.

Here is what is difficult for me, and a typical relapse:

First of all, when I drink it is usually beer unless I am offered a shot... but once I start it is very difficult to stop until I go to bed. But a typical day in a binge for me is about 10-16 beers. Sometimes for a week straight. More or less "rest days". If I wake up and have beer I will usually drink it and repeat... it is so stupid haha but I assume we all know the feeling.

I usually go about 2-5 days sober and have a record of 14 days this year. *Note to self: how to know you have a problem...when you count days of sobriety * As I sober up and get through the detox I start feeling great. The first few days are the easiest for me because I am motivated and making changes in my life and feel happy again. As the week progresses I forget about the struggle I just went through and the one before that. I finally feel normal again and want to be like everyone else and go shoot pool at the pub. I feel like I can handle it, just one night or just the weekend and back to the books and gym during the week. Haha yeah my ass. I really need to get that damn thought out of my head and I know what I need to do to quit, but right now I really just need support and reminders from people who are going through what I am.

I plan to change my habbits: wake up early, excercise, take my dog to the park more, stay away from anyone who is drinking, read more, spend more time with my family, etc..

Anyways thank you all for listening and I can not wait to be a part of this community... I feel like anytime I have the urge I can come here and just read and talk to you all.

Good luck and congrats to everyone who posted before me!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

LindseyMarie

Sultanas are the same as raisins, but slightly bigger. Taste the same. A very good snack, loaded with sugar because they are dried berries. Good replacement for a bar of chocolate.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all the newcomers

D
Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Day 3 now for me. I've been suffering from the same issues as most of you. Poor sleep, awful anxiety. Just to get rid of the anxiety alone is worth quitting. Terrible edginess and shaky nerves. I don't even want to deal with people. I know it all gets better, I've been there. But it's so helpful to read the common issues. It's the alcohol that is the cause of my anxiety, not the cure of it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

wow... first time i went downtown since my last slip, orginal plan was to go to a meeting then go to my appointment at 1. got downtown late and once i got there I started having intense thoughts of using, which im all to fimilar with. I could not locate the meeting but i never tried to hard i justified that with it being to cold outside, i was walking. Wish i would have went. I have to plan it better next time. I bought some lunch then went to my appointment and made it home, grateful i didn't mess up
Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Im having very weird thoughts all evening.

After identifying that alco shelves in supermarkets are traps another thought appeared.

So who are those people who can control their drink? Super humans?
And Im just a human?