Notices

Class Of February 2012

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, Day 2 for me. Welcome Kam0096, hosea57, MMN, Anewlife4me. Always so nice to read all your posts. Detoxing is uncomfortable, but it does pass, God knows how many times I have been through it.

I really need to get to meetings, has anyone on here find a sponsor and start working the steps?

I wish you all a very great sober day!! xoxo
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice regarding anti-deppressants/anti-anxiety meds? I have my second appt with my therapist tonight and last week she suggested that I speak with a psychiatrist for meds. At first I was dead set against it since I feel like it is trading alcohol for another drug. But then I realized that if I was actually medicated, I wouldn't feel the need to self-medicate...

I don't really have anxiety all the time, but when I do it is pretty extreme. I have been through disastrous/painful relationships in the past (my daughter's dad became a heroin addict after she was born and kept stealing from me and my family and the boyfriend after that committed suicide in our house) and that (according to my therapist) creates a trust issue with my husband even though he has never done anything to make me not trust him. So when he works late or whatever it freaks me out for no reason except my brain freaking me out.

I am on my 18th day sober and sometimes I start to think that the alcohol was clouding my sanity enough that it was making me paranoid and crazy. I've been so much better since I quit. However, I have always had pretty severe agitation and anxiety over certain things ever since I was a kid so it seems to be present in one way or another with or without alcohol.

I don't really know if I should go on meds or wait a few more weeks and see if it really is possible to handle the anxiety and trust problem without meds as long as I'm not drinking. I just hate it when I act crabby or mean with him for no reason just because my brain makes me nervous that he is doing something behind my back even though my heart knows he isn't. He doesn't deserve that.

Advice or suggestions?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Hey HelloKIitty. I've been on anxiety /anti-depression meds on and off for a few years. When I'm taking them properly, my day to day life seems to run smoother (less guilt, better short term memory, less panic, no racing thoughts etc...) . Overall I feel better about myself and it really shows in my interaction with others. Those who know me well can tell if I'm on them or not. Also I,m pretty sure I've never relapsed while taking them. Unfortunatetly there is one side effect which can be troubling, the Libedo takes a hit. The good news is that they have pills for that too! lol. Talk to the pros and I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  

New

Still asking myself, "What have you done???" after talking to my counselor about my alcohol intake and agreeing to try to quit drinking. I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it too late to join your group?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Thanks Johnny! As for the libido, it's gotta be better than when your one and only concern is drinking as much as you can whenever you can, right? That kinda kills it too. LOL.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Im going out tomorrow! For the first time in 18 days I will face the drink in front of me. I really hope I will be strong!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TriGirl View Post
Still asking myself, "What have you done???" after talking to my counselor about my alcohol intake and agreeing to try to quit drinking. I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it too late to join your group?
It is never "too late". I am finding doing alot of reading posts here has already helped me tremendously.
Just spend some time reading or post questions if you have some. Everyone is very eager to help here.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've hit 500 posts so it's time for a Part 2 of this thread
Join us here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D