Notices

Class of August 2011 Pt2

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Hi guys!
Havnt been over to this thread in a couple days. We had a big power outage in all of southern cali on thurs that left everyone over here for hours with no power.

Looks like you guys are still knockin down the sober today!

Piotr and Dee hope you both feel better soon!

R4R I see your still the group cheerleader over here!

I'm on day 8 today. Ive been sleeping much better the past couple days and eating well. Today I had some cravings hit pretty hard but just kinda let em ride out and kept reminding myself that if I drank I would just end up back to where I was 8 days ago which isnt a place I want to go back to.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm all better today thanks BF

D
Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Still feeling sick. Light coughs and no energy whatsoever.

Bought a jigsaw 1000 pce puzzle. Took me more then 10 minutes to find the first two pieces to fit The dining table will be occupied for a while ...

Day 37 and not quitting today !
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Good Morning Everyone!

Piotr.... sometimes rest is what out bodies need. I don't know how everyone else does puzzles, but I usually pick out all the pieces to the border first and put the whole border together. Then separate the rest by color/pattern... a little easier it seems What's it a picture of???

Glad you're feeling better today, Dee.

Hey BF - Good job on the eight days and fighting off that voice of alcohol calling. When it calls, just keep hanging up... pretend it's a telemarketer

Have to go take my biological dad out to lunch for his birthday today... usually an emotional roller coaster once I leave. He's ok, just very opinionated about things... but feeling good otherwise.

Hope everyone is having a nice quiet and sober Sunday
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Just found this thread and would love to join the Class of August if I can! I have one month today. It has been very difficult and I truly take it 5 minutes at a time sometimes. My son has brain cancer and I can't drink the fear and stress away anymore. But it is so much easier to take care of him when I don't have a hangover and he (and my other 3 children) needs a sober, emotionally and physically present mom. I've tried this before and rarely make it past this point the urge to drink just gets so strong. I'm so glad I found this site I need as many "tools" as I can find. It is sometimes hard to leave my son to go to a meeting so I'm grateful there are sites I can go to even just reading the posts helps. Thanks for being here!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

R4R - seems my body is as out of sync as the weather here. 10 deg at night and 25 and sun today. I do jigsaws the same way - just forgot it takes patience and time and my eyes are a little older. Almost finished the border today. The picture is of a siberian tiger walking on snow - a lot of white pieces

Still feeling sick but made it to an AA speaker meeting. Uplifting. Short walk after that in the sunshine. Getting ready for therapy tomorrow.

Hoping for a sober day for everyone.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post

Hey BF - Good job on the eight days and fighting off that voice of alcohol calling. When it calls, just keep hanging up... pretend it's a telemarketer
I like to pretend that the whiny, addiction voice telling me to take a drink belongs to an ex-girlfriend who cheated on me, stole from me, and is now knocking at my door asking for a loan. I just smile now, and close the door.

Oh, by the way, I am 21 days sober today. It gets easier every day.

Last edited by freshstart57; 09-11-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added ps
Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Piotr... well as least it's not a polar bear walking in snow

Welcome Eliasson (congrats on your first month) and Freshstart (likewise Congrats on your 3 weeks).

Feeling a bit run-down today... going to go plop on the couch and shut the world out for a while --- soberly

Have a great night all!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon Piotr
Welcome to the thread Eliasson - prayers and best wishes for you and your son.

D
Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday!

Sounds like everyone is doing well!

R4R and FS: Too funny on the voice comments! I especially enjoy FS assigning the voice to an ex. LOL. I think my AV is more like a naughty child. Like. "Hey! Pssssssst! YOU! You know you wanna!!! Psssssst! It'll make you not have to think that jerk at work today........cooooome on!"
Until recently I don't think I realized I could just say "Uh. No thanks."

Piotr: I do puzzles the same way as R4R. I put the outer frame together first, then I group like colors, then I fill it in. I helped my daughter do a really hard teeny bopper rock puzzle recently that kicked my tail! That sucker was HARD!

Eli: Congrats and welcome! I can't imagine what you are going through with your son. Do you have a good support system?

OK....hope you are all well!! CBL.

Carla
Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
rs2

Smile Welcome

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
Just found this thread and would love to join the Class of August if I can! I have one month today. It has been very difficult and I truly take it 5 minutes at a time sometimes. My son has brain cancer and I can't drink the fear and stress away anymore. But it is so much easier to take care of him when I don't have a hangover and he (and my other 3 children) needs a sober, emotionally and physically present mom. I've tried this before and rarely make it past this point the urge to drink just gets so strong. I'm so glad I found this site I need as many "tools" as I can find. It is sometimes hard to leave my son to go to a meeting so I'm grateful there are sites I can go to even just reading the posts helps. Thanks for being here!
GREAT JOB Eliasson. Welcome to August 2011. You are doing great!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
rs2

LAUDY, LAUDY. Went to see Foreigner and Journey in New Orleans Saturday. The desire to drink was the strongest it'd been, but by the grace of God I only had water. New Orleans is not a good place to stay sober. Their's a drink around every corner!

Wife was more inquisitive as to why I stopped drinking. Told her I thought my health was suffering; I needed a break from drinking and I needed to make sure I didnt have a problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I was on the 2 week and under thread - but am on day 18 now so thought i would join you all here. Combating the lonely empty feeling is what im finding most difficult, but still avoiding the demon drink. Here's to another AF week. Im sure i would have been swayed by now if i had not discovered this site, your keeping me strong and is a comfort to know that we are all fighting this thing. Keep up the good work all.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Good job at the concert RS! And with fielding the question from your wife. Any time we decide to drink our health DOES suffer... so does our minds and just general well-being and all...

Welcome Wantthis !!!! Yep, we are ALL in this together! Makes it interesting at times, but very comforting to know we are never alone in our struggles - someone else has already been there or maybe even there at the same moment. We help each other along and it's pretty wonderful.

Sun is shining today a bit... feel darn good about life without the poison. It's incredible and I have incredible people to share it with! Thanks guys
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
rs2

Welcome WANTTOSTOP. We are so glad you joined the August group. I've only been here a couple of weeks and R4$ is spot on. I've enjoyed communicating here and must confirm that its helped keep me dry.

Congratulations on the making it 3 weeks! For me, this is a big accomplishment after drinking nigtly for about a decade. Great job.

We are all in this together and while none of us has all the answers, we each have some really great informtion to convey to others. We are looking forward to learning from you and winning this battle together. Again, welcome to the August class.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Day 17 for me! Right behind you wantthis! Welcome!

And Welcome Eliasson..prayers for you and your son. Hang in there, maybe this time it will stick! For me, I got stronger with each attempt. Not that I have it all figured out, but I do know that I am stronger this time around. It feels different, in a good way!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Need Advice

On August 15th I was done drinking. That was 29 days ago. This is what I told my sponsor, doctor and therapist. The truth is, I had alcohol, in very small amounts, three more times after that, I managed it well, stayed in control, no one knew. But still, I drank. Here on SR, I have been honest with you all, However, I have not been honest with anyone else. I have stuck to the Aug 15th lie. Now my sponsor is wanting to talk about my 30 days coming up and getting a coin, talking at a meeting..etc...
What do I do? Go with it? Does 12 days make that much of a difference? Or do I admit my lie.
HELP!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

I would admit it.
You'll feel better being honest, especially with yourself.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Alaska, I can't answer that. It 's a tough one.

I fell out of this class on august 27, after 27 days. Since then Ive been on 2-3 days, off one. I finally joined the sept class because I felt like I could lie about it, but in the end I'm only hurting myself. Deep down you know where you are which is part of the reason we are battling the bottle, right?

I wish you the best whichever path you choose.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
rs2

Smile 30 day AA Coin

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post

What do I do? Go with it? Does 12 days make that much of a difference? Or do I admit my lie.
HELP!

Hey Alaska, you are doing great! Can you believe you are actually coming up on 30 days in a little over a week? No, 12 days is not really that much of a difference and the important thing is that you did not let the slips take control. Instead, you kicked the ole addiction in the teeth and climbed right back on board the sobriety wagon. Way to go.

However, I think you might choose to avoid the 30 day coin and speaking. Can you just tell your sponsor that you had a very minor slip that didnt cause a major derailment, but that you'd be more comfortable doing the 30 day thing in another 12 days instead of now? That way, you can keep that coin in your pocket or purse with some jingling pride rather than have the thing becoming a downer that you know isnt really the truth. Please understand that I'm not in AA, so my suggestions may be way off base, but my thought is that your sponsor will completely understand. While he/she may be a little disappointed you didn't confide in them sooner, they' realize that you are fostering a long term honest relationship with them. Depending on how long they've been in AA, I'm sure they've had much, much bigger disappointments.

We are so proud of you here on SR ! Regardless of your decision, we are here for you. Again, congratulations on 18 days, thats great! That 30 days will be here before you know it! Before we know it, we'll all be looking at 60 days and more. Keep up the great work Alaska! Sincerely, RS2

Last edited by rs2; 09-12-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Last emoticon looked a little creepy, out of context and inappropriate.