Notices

Class of August 2011 Pt2

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Congrats RS2!!!

Sindyluhu dont give up! Ive had many day 1's or a week and then drank for no good reason at all but never gave up. I failed algebra so I dont think I can be much help with that one!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Congratulations rs2 !

I watched "Rain in my heart" when I started sobering 34 days ago. Couold not take iti n one sitting - hit too close to home. I think Iwill watch it again today in the afternoon - just to keep the memories of what can happen if Istart to drink again fresh.

Sindy - slips happen, it took me a few years to go past my day 1's and the evil day 4's. But it can be done and sober life is SO much better then a hangover every morning.

The weather is cold, windy, cloudy and it rains a lot. Feeling down. Therapy is tough - both the long 6 hours daily and the all the emotional stuff. Went to a AA meeting yesterday which helped a little.

Day 34 and still being sober.

Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

We have similiar weather here, Piotr -- rainy and cold... like it went from summer to late fall all of a sudden Looks like it's going to be this way for a few days at least.

Hey Sindy! You keep trying - that counts. It's when we give up that we've lost (for a time)... you haven't haven't given up - so you haven't failed. Now, algebra may be a different story I did ok with algebra, but they do everything so differently now - I know I wouldn't be able to do anything with it... everything changes.
For me, I've tried several times to quit. Hopefully, this time - I'm done 'trying' and I'm actually 'doing' for the long haul. All I can be concerned about is today.... all I want to be concerned about is today... just today. That's all. I think when I've made a through a situation or whatever without drinking - I somehow let my guard down and relax a bit too much and figure maybe I deserve to have 'just one'... Never turns that way. But I still kept trying... Definition of insanity is doing the same thing, the same way every time and expecting different results. I was insane in my alcoholic thinking... sanity is now being restored.

RS2 -- Saw the first three of the documentary... good post.

Hi BF -- how you doing?

Chin up everyone... we're all on the same road to recovery. Let's steam-roll today... flatten that voice that creeps up and tries to get us to believe it's lies of comfort or whatever. Hope your day is filled with some blessings even if it's just a little one
Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
rs2

HOLY MOLY!!! "Rain in My Heart" is an EYE OPENER!! Just watched all the segments. Its a lot to take in.

I've been so fortunate. I had little to no withdrawal when I quit 31 days ago. Had been drinking about a bottle of wine a night for a decade and more on the weekends and had just come off a vacation where I allowed myself to drink "umbrella drinks" on the beach during the day. (normally I only drank after work). I've had very little problem saying no to a drink, but did avoid a few social events where I knew it'd be more difficult. Anyway, I was feeling all good in my sobriety and even thinking "well maybe I'm just not really an alcoholic" and can moderate my drinking.

Rain in My Heart was just the kick inthe arse that I needed. HOLY MOLY!! Even though i've studied alcholism since my mid 20's, Rain in My Heart really drove home the dangers of drinking. Whew, Sorry so long winded right now. I think the documentary really got me stirred up.

Ok, so 30 days came and went without significant problems abstaining. Now what? Will be going to a concert with 2 other couples this weekend and they all drink. How easy/difficult will it be to say, "no thank you"? I'll probably have flashbacks to the documentary and run away screaming! :-)

Peace,
rs2
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Ive seen Rain in My Heart. Very powerful message.

I always thought my drinking wasnt that bad and could simply quit if it did become a big problem.

Well, of course by the time the drinking had evolved into a VERY big problem... I found I couldn't quit.

I puked blood, and still drank.
No control.

I would drink for days, with the drapes drawn shut.

Not answering the phone, or opening the drapes.
Shutting the world out.

Binging until I couldn't even control my bowels.

About two years ago I realized I had to smarten up or I could die soon...too soon.

Ive been plugging away at getting sober ever since.

I've had many slips in the last two years, but after each slip I got back on board.. it was the only alternative to a living Hell.

38 Days sober now this time round.
Hopefully for good this time.

My program is AA meetings (not a fanatic though), seeing an Addiction Therapist (worth her weight in gold), a change in my diet towards healthy fresh unprocessed foods, a different mental attitude, reading, and exercise. And of course SR and all the wonderful people here.

Dont ever give up trying.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
rs2

Red face

Originally Posted by Hooped View Post
I puked blood, and still drank.
No control.I would drink for days, with the drapes drawn shut.
OMG Hooped! I'm so sorry it went that far. I know you must have been incredibly frustrated. How in the world did you get sober?

Congratulations on staying sober almost 40 days. Do you feel incredibly good physically? mentally? You're amazing!

Thank you for sharing your sobriety with me/us.

Sincerely,
rs2

Last edited by rs2; 09-08-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: screwed up emoticons
Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey Hooped -- Great to see you! BTW, I love the lion... been meaning to tell you that 38 days... still tailing me, I see... cool!
Yeah, I wasn't puking blood, but I did get into a very major automobile accident and somehow come out without a scratch -- tore the right fender of a Dodge Nitro off and part of the rest of the right side of the vehicle when I went off the road (as I was passed out or something), barely missed a telephone pole and took out several trees with that side of the vehicle. It was almost on it's side. Blew a tire... air bags came out. Stopped inches from another telephone pole. And still went back to drinking after a few months sober... stupid. I know that I know that God spared me (once again) from death. .. and still I choose to go back to alcohol. That's the pull of it... I don't have to think about 'how in the heck am I going to stay sober' every day, but I do have to keep my guard up because I don't want to die - and next time - just may be the last. I quit this past time because I was concerned about my health and there are just more important things I want to do in my life to make living this life count for something. Drinking causes me NOT to be able to do that.

Ok, nuff for now
Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Okay, as soon as my boss leaves the office I will watch Rain in My Heart.
RS Congrats on 30~
Sindy, my son's math book has a web site I can go to that is suppose to be a resource for parents too. Haven't had to yet, but I am sure I will. See if your son's math book has one, i bet they do!
Day 13, for real this time. I wish I could say it has been easy, but I still struggle, and now that my b/f is leaving big cups half full of rum/coke around the house, I had to take it up a notch with my antabuse. I can see how much or how little rum he adds because he is drinking from those clear plastic cups from the gas station and last nights was strong, really strong, and he barley drank 1/4 of it. I found it this morning in the kitchen, opened the lid and took a big whiff. Not sure why I feel compelled to do that, but I do. I should ask him to dump out whatever he doesnt drink. Damn, what a waster!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
rs2

Ok, I ripped this off from a Facebook friend cause I thought it was kinda humorous:

MY LIVING WILLLast night, one of my best friends and I were sitting in my living room andI said to her, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on somemachine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.She got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.She's such a witch.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Have watched 5 of the Rain in My Heart documentary. WOW. Powerful.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Friday Augustians!

How goes it?

Day 40 here. It's amazing to me how I can go from being thoroughly convinced that I need a drink to thoroughly convinced that I don't NEED alcohol. Do I want it sometimes? Yep. I'm going to have that once in a while, but I don't have to reach for a bottle (or can) of poisonous liquid anymore. I'm content with my diet root beer and slushies (on occasion). Am I still able to drink? Yep. It's not that I can't physically do it, I still have the ability to pick up a drink. Difference is..... I CHOOSE not to. It's my choice each and every day... no matter what is going on in my life. Sometimes the choice is harder than at other times, but it's still my choice. Do I pick up a drink or do I ask God for help, or call a friend, or get on SR, or go run? The choice is always mine.
I choose life

Congrats on two weeks Alaska!!!

Have an awesome day everyone! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
rs2

Great Job R4R on the 40 days! This is really for real cool to be sober so long. Congratulations!

Alaska, glad you got to watch the "Rain in my Heart" epsisodes. I watched them all yesterday and its really stayed on my mind since. I think all those people are younger than me, and their ailments are so extremely severe, I feel very blessed that my alcohol abuse has not impacted me as severely. I'm also humbled to recognize that its not of my own accord that i wasnt damaged as badly, since I sure gave alchohol the chance to grab me.

Its getting easier to order non-alcholic beverages at restaurants when out in social settings. Last night I was out with 2 other couples. Everyone had ordered an alcholic beverage but me. When it came my turn to order, I asked for iced tea. NOBODY CARED! I was next to last ordereing and the last guy followed my lead and ordered tea too. Nobody even noticed or gave a rats butt that a couple of us didnt order a glass of wine or a cocktail! FREEDOM!!!!! As we say in the south, Thanks Ya'll!

Last edited by rs2; 09-09-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: put in scorebad smiley instead of scoregood
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Thanks, RS.. wonder what that last guy who ordered would've ordered if you had got an alcoholic beverage instead... maybe you had a positive influence on them also

I see you lurking Stevie... how's it going?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Feeling sick. This cold weather just got to me.

Therapy was hard - iwas reading my assignmenton which stage of alcoholism I am on with10 examples. Got harsh remarks.

Planned to go to a new gym with my son but had to cancel. Had a long nap instead. Ate some hot chicken soup and plan to do some reading and sleep more.

Oh day 35. Therapist suggested I start doing jigsaw puzzles - to keep my mind and hands occupied in the evenings. Havent done one in ages. Anyone doing jigsaw puzzles? and how many pieces? should I start with a 1000 or go for the harder 3000 so its more of a challenge?

Glad to see you are doing good; R4R, alaska, rs2.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hi all! I have been a slacker about posting but I have been popping in to read. I tried to post from my phone yesterday but I lost the msg. Oh well.

Congrats to those of you who are getting up there in sober days!!! 30 days sounds amazing! As for me, I am at 21 days today. My previous best was 4 days, once, so I am shocked that I have made it this far! Weekends are still my strongest craving time, but I have been "okay."

I started watching the "Rain in My Heart" videos that someone suggested earlier in this thread. I watched the first 2 (of 10) and had to stop. Wow! Horrifying what we do to ourselves, and really frightening to LOOK at the future if we don't stay sober.

Okay, I have to go back to work......I have my Unsweet Iced Tea in hand......I will CBL and try to do some personals!

Carla
Old 09-09-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome Carla! The more the merrier Congrats on 3 weeks... that's a huge accomplishment also... everyday sober is a huge accomplishment in this day and age.

Piotr - sorry you had such a hard therapy session... if the remarks had some validity - take away what you can use or can make you better... throw away the rest. Get some rest... the emotional/mental stuff you're going through will drain your energy also... so take that into consideration. I like 3D puzzles... have a bunch put together, have a bunch more to do - but haven't done any in about a year. Maybe I'll get to it this winter. I'd pick a picture you like and go from there...

Have a good sober night everyone - we can do this together Going to bed early - have to get a long run in early tomorrow morning.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

cold weathers getting to me too Piotr - feeling pretty poorly myself - so I'll just wish everyone a good weekend for now

D
Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Nicely Done!

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
Happy Friday Augustians!

Day 40 here.
Congrats! Wow...way to go. You are my inspiration today! :
Old 09-10-2011, 02:33 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Feeling sick. This cold weather just got to me.

Therapy was hard - iwas reading my assignmenton which stage of alcoholism I am on with10 examples. Got harsh remarks.

Planned to go to a new gym with my son but had to cancel. Had a long nap instead. Ate some hot chicken soup and plan to do some reading and sleep more.

Oh day 35. Therapist suggested I start doing jigsaw puzzles - to keep my mind and hands occupied in the evenings. Havent done one in ages. Anyone doing jigsaw puzzles? and how many pieces? should I start with a 1000 or go for the harder 3000 so its more of a challenge?

Glad to see you are doing good; R4R, alaska, rs2.
Hope your feeling better! I love the jigsaw puzzle idea. I may give it a try!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Saturday

Just finished my last long run until my marathon... two weeks away. Run/Walking it because of injury mid-summer - but still want to do it cuz I paid for it! I'm funny that way.

I love to read - Christian novels mostly (just like the story lines better)... sci-fi, mystery, drama, thriller (have an author with that one that reminds me a lot of Stephen King -- who I used to like). So, it puts a wrench in trying to put a puzzle together.

Anywho... hope you are all well (physically also Piotr and Dee). Stay sober guys -- just for today, k? You all are doing fantabulous!!!