Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 3

Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hi everyone, I just found this website... looks awfully familiar somehow...

Just FINALLY getting around to checking in again. Nothing so bad but I have been dealing with an eviction. First, one of my housemates canceled the internet service, and I had spent most of my time using public wifi for house-hunting, e-mail and the like. ("But, Isaiah, you couldn't have written one quick note?" "Err, well, generally slipped my mind. Stress punches out my memory.")

Anyway, I have a new house. Came down to the day before I had to move out that I got it. Living with 4 nice folks my age in a nice place. My stuff is in the basement, I am crashing with my girlfriend until tomorrow when my room is going to be available. After that I will have regular internet access again.

And I guess I had 4 months or something yesterday. So busy moving it didn't even register. Hopefully will catch up with everyone soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Great to hear your still hanging in there Isaiah! Sorry about the troubles though. Seems like things have been really up and down for you... hopefully that will even out one of these days real soon. Are you still volunteering?? Congrats on the 4 months! Takes some guts and determination to stay straight with all the 'stuff' you've had happen in the last several months. Great job! Take care.... we'll be here when you get back into the stream of things
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you Isaiah and glad you got a few problems sorted out

Congratulations on 4 months
D
Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hey Isaiah, Welcome back and congrats on the 4 months . I had often wondered how you were. Seems like you have arrived just in nick of time as these good folks have had to listen to me being wobbly for the last day or so. It is brilliant to have you back and hear that you are getting sorted with a new place. I hope things finally settle for you.

And to the rest of my classmate’s thank you for all your posts over the last days or so, they really have helped. I am in good spirits. 150 days today and I feel good, helps that the weather here is Ireland is wonderful..Well it’s sunny..freezing but sunny and that is good enough for me. I really feel it lifts everyone’s mood especially mine.

I am particularly grateful for all the different insights and opinions on alcohol and your/my relationship with it and why I am starting to feel this way, why now etc etc. Why the 'excuses'. I loved Reallys description of it as 'grieving'...it is so true, that it exactly what it is like...missing an old pal that is gone. Then Tom described it as toxic and I just thought would I drink perfume for a thrill and thats similar in colour, toxins etc.

I just wanted to ask Tom and Really a quick question ...what else are you doing in recovery other than just staying sober? Dee has asked me this a few times and I know that Swan is in AA and doing really positively. Also I read some of his other posts on other threads and they are very encouraging and in doing so must be helping himself also but I just wondered what should I be doing extra? I have already mentioned that AA is not for me...so what else should I be doing??

Anyway its time for bed but I want you to know that I am going to sleep happy and sober. My day has been a very routine day but I feel 10 times better than I did yesterday so thank you for that. Funny that when I dont post the drinking thoughts come more vividly and when I post regular I am back in control. Night all
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Originally Posted by Moo Moos View Post
I just wanted to ask Tom and Really a quick question ...what else are you doing in recovery other than just staying sober? Dee has asked me this a few times and I know that Swan is in AA and doing really positively. Also I read some of his other posts on other threads and they are very encouraging and in doing so must be helping himself also but I just wondered what should I be doing extra? I have already mentioned that AA is not for me...so what else should I be doing??

Well, Hils (is that what you want to be called still?).... anyway, I don't go to AA - seems like SR has become my AA. I do go to church regularly and have some friends there that know my struggles and help when I need it... and I get to help them when they need it. I also run - it gives my body a much needed make-over AND it gives me those 'feel-good' feelings about myself and about life in general when I'm done. I've very self-motivated, but I've been going to a gym and am meeting people there also. I guess the key for me is not isolate myself (which I tend to do). Don't get me wrong, I like my down-time also -- just not when I'm battling a bunch of emotional 'stuff' that I am right now. I sort of force myself to be alone enough to journal and 'get stuff' out and then I force myself to be around people -- kind of a weird way to put it, but that's about it for me.
The sun was shining here today too, really nice - but yeah, cold!

Have a wonder night....
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hi Hills, I'm very happy to hear you decided to stick with your sobriety and you are having a better day and thinking this thing through today!

Well I'm sitting here drinking some coffee at 9pm, I came home a bit early from work after getting in a mood for no good reason....I think I had bad nights sleep, no nightmares I can remember but I was just dragging !$@ all day today so I took off a little early with the intention of coming home and hitting the gym. Then I got a stomach ache, it went away pretty quickly but I was already just blah. And yeah so I just decided to make some coffee (I love coffee) and try to take my mind off the weight I've gained since getting sober. I know it's hell of a lot easier to lose weight again than it is to get sober so I have (and will continue to) put my sobriety first.

But I think we all know how it is, once you go from working out 5-6 days a week to none at all well getting back into it is an uphill fight. I know we have a thread I have yet to visit but more importantly I just need to get re-motivated. At times now I look at my gut and get discouraged....it's funny, I make this joke to my mom - my goal was to have a 6 pack for the first time since being a child by the time I turned 35 but I guess god wanted me to be sober for my 35th birthday instead (it was around thanksgiving! lol

Anyways I'm just venting, as a matter o fact now that I've vented and the coffee is starting to kick in I think I'll do the only thing that will help my growing stomach issue (aside from better diet) and go hit the gym now...jesus I had to type 3 paragraphs to convince myself to get off my butt and go do it! argggg!

Hey Isa, sorry my post was really self absorbed! I'll post another after I work out or tomorrow...but super happy you're still here with us too!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Swan,

What happened to that bike you got a few weeks ago?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since Hilary asked, I do not do AA either. I tried it many years ago which led to to an alcoholic therapy group and I found that the therapist was more screwed up than I was.

My whole approach now is to be fit and healthy. My father died at 62 from a massive hearth attack. His sister, brother and my grandfather all died in their early 60s. I am now 58 so I have certain fear that drives to take care of myself.

4 years ago I was 90 lbs heavier. I got so big because I was always drinking and eating crap and did not take care of myself. I lost the fat by working my @$$ off. I would get up at 4:30 AM and walk 4 to 6 miles day in and day out. No one did it for me. Nobody pushed me, I did it all by myself.

Same thing with alcohol. There are a number of "systems" out there but the drive to change and live addiction free can only come from within me. Simply, my drive to be healthy, fit and sober is a lot stronger than any effect alcohol could produce.

I do a lot of imagery (relaxation ~ meditation ~ self hypnosis) stuff and I read and listen to podcast on the health and fitness. Lately I have been exploring the whole concept of goal setting and using ones mind to create ones future. I don't know if it works yet but I am having a lot of fun and thinking positive has really changed my outlook.

I hope I did not come across too harsh on my previous post. I have tried this sobriety thing and have had who knows how many attempts in the past few years where I would go to 100 days + and think I was all cured and blow it all, and like they say in these forums, it is a progressive disease and I would just pick up right where I left off.

No more.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hey TDC, yes I still have the bike. Mainly I've been using it to get to my meetings or meet my sponsor. I'm not a huge cyclist enthusiast (yet maybe) like yourself. My things are snowboarding, rock climbing, scuba diving, the gym and jogging. Plenty of stuff, I just need to get back into doing them again.

Well after my rant I made it to the gym, worked out for an hour, ate some healthy food for dinner and already feel much better. I don't like when I whine if it's not followed by action.

I think I'll put on paper some kind of exercise program since I think my main challenge is that my body is out of shape but my mind is stalled in the past memory of what kind of shape I was in (which is probably where you are at now TDC- where exercising is something you look forward to and is a natural part of your day) until I get to where I was....it's like getting sober, things won't be great over night I'll have to work at them.

Isaiah congratulations on 4 months bro! That's awesome! And congrats on your new place, I'm glad everything worked itself out for you. Seems like there's a bit of that theme going on here....if we still sober good things come to pass! Let's keep it up!

Have a great night everyone!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Yeah, TDC - that's the scary thing, isn't it? The whole picking up where we left off!! I was so bad this last bout that I started having the shakes in the morning and was very concerned if I could even quit on my own (ie. without going somewhere to dry out).

But I fully believe that for me, my faith in God and my friends 'faith' in me... pulled me through. Albeit most of my friends were here in SR - this forum and the other that Swan hasn't visited yet pulled me through. I agree, TDC, there is a lot of untapped potential in the mind - that if we draw upon it, helps turn our lives around also. I'm just very careful about what I open my mind to -- had people really twist things in my head - messed around alot in there - while growing up. Still 'recovering' from some of that. But at least, I'm dealing with it - sober. Amazes me... in the past I would've held out a little while, but I would've given in by now.

I thank you all here for the fact that I haven't...

I've been up and down since 2:30 - nauseated, sickly. So, no work for me today. Think I'm going to lay down for a bit.

Have a wonderful day all!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I agree too that we have a lot of untapped potential in ourselves and our minds.

And I also agree that faith and friends (a support group of some sort) are critical for me. That's one of the reasons AA has been so instrumental in my recover - here it's just me and my pug mostly. Certainly that live at my place, all the rest of my family is across country so my only contact with them is via the phone. I got rid of all my old partying friends about a year and half ago - they wouldn't have been supportive anyway, they weren't the last few times I tried to get sober. At best they wouldn't push drinks or worse on me at worst they would suggest I could just have a couple or to join them in harder stuff...so not really much of friends at all.

So not only did AA offer me a program of recovery (which has worked as promised as I work it) but also new friends and the fellowship provides the kind of in-person interaction I was desperately lacking during the time I was trying to get sober with my good friend......just having one other person in sobriety with me wasn't enough. And he has his family life to live and be there for so he wasn't available for me to call or go have coffee with in the same way my sponsor and the other friends I have now been blessed with from AA have been. Even to this day he is pretty busy, and so are other people in AA (myself included) at times, but at least now I have a good amount of what I would call 'real friends' and my relationship with my sponsor moved over time from just a sponsor/sponsee relationship to one of good friends too. I can inevitably get someone on the phone if I am having any type of crisis or mental attack. They are, of course, less frequent or urgent now but I still try to continue to cultivate those friendships attempting to both give and receive in them.....

I'm not sure if I had found SR 16 months ago if that would have been enough or not for me to have stayed sober and have contented, happy sobriety. But now that I do have happy, contented sobriety using AA and SR, well as they say (whoever 'they' are!) if ain't broke don't fix it!

Really I hope you feel better soon....I felt a little blah today too, not sure what is up might just be the weather but I'm working from home today. I think for me it's the weather driving my sinuses crazy and causing me to have some not so restful sleep, on the plus side I'm not feeling hangover sickened and mentally/emotionally yucky cuz my drinking is affecting my work. It's just plain old normal stuff people deal with, that in and of itself is a gift. God knows I've had more than my fair share of sick days in the last many years, just at this company, due to hangovers. And even yesterday when I had a blah day, I reminded myself at least it wasn't blah as in I'm so hung over I can't do anything but either go have a couple bloody mary's down the street or wait til I get out of work so I can get more booze to kill the pain. That's a feeling you can't put a price on!

Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

And Hills I hope you're in good spirits again today! Stick with it my friend, it'll get better over time and I'm a believer that if we want our sobriety bad enough - even if AA is not for us - given sufficient effort on our part we can find a method of recovery that suits our individual needs.

I think it's really cool that there is yourself, Dee, Really, TDC, and my good friend - none of you are using AA as your recovery method and that myself, Isaiah, and many others here at SR are a part of AA and yet we can all still get sober together and hopefully all find a way to be happy in sobriety!

I think that in itself speaks wonders about the capacity of the human spirit to achieve!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

hi folks, In good spirits again today..thank God it is not full of good spirits eh lol lol. What amazing posts I have read tonight..

TDC 90lbs weight loss and still sober...thats really fantastic..you must be half the man you were 4 years ago. Total respect for this as I know how hard it is to struggle with weight. I never would see any of your posts to me as 'harsh' as I know you have my best interests at heart so I appreciate the honesty and I need the reality check that goes with them.

Swan - well done you on getting motivated and to the gym. You sound much better for it. Thanks for the insight into AA it sounds great and is certainly working for you. I do a lot of voluntary work with children, I started when my eldest two were younger and just never gave it up despite them now having left and moved on to other things. I just could not jeopardies this position by attending AA meetings. I just feel that parents would loose their trust in me if they found out and to be honest I am not sure it is my thing. I have SR and that seems to steer me on the straight and narrow when I come close to the edge...you might have seen evidence of this recently lol lol

Really thanks also for answering my question with such honesty. It is not my intention to pry but I just wanted to know am I missing something other than staying sober. I love the idea of church. I am not a big attender in Church but I do talk to the Big Fella everyday which is cool. My house actually looks across a field to the side of our local church which is pretty nice especially when the bells are ringing. Anyway I am rambling but thanks for your wonderful posts,

Anyway I had another super day...sun shining, mad busy morning in work which was satisfying, attended my nephews 7th birthday party with kids, home to cook a roast, cleaned up, tucked kids in bed, walked dog, ironed for an hour and now I am nearly asleep typing. I promised myself I would go to bed early and now it is nearly midnight...but I am a happy tired!! Good night...talk tomorrow
Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Moo Moos. Please don't feel that you are rambling. We are all here to express ourselves and tell each other our stories. I am here daily instead of AA. In fact I found SR googling for online AA meetings. I wanted to go back to AA the first few days after I stopped, but my schedule was too convoluted.

Which reminds me, what's up with Madrid? Is this just a weekend trip to celebrate your husband's 40? The reason I ask is because I love Madrid. I have been there 3 times. Actually Sevilla is the place I really love, and I have to travel to Madrid to get there.

I love to walk, and I love to visit old cities and both Madrid and Sevilla offer the best sights for a walker.

Sometimes, when I can't sleep at night, I close my eyes and dream of the callejones in Sevilla. Flamenco, paella, the history, the music, the art (not to mention the people).... just love Spain.

Now I am rambling. See you.....
~~~~~~
R4R.... hope you are feeling better. Sending you good vibes.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi All -- Feeling a little better today. Thanks for the concern. I'll probably try to go back to work tomorrow. Yesterday seemed to be the worst of it.

Hils - You made me laugh -- "In good spirits again today..thank God it is not full of good spirits" -- too funny BTW, you're not rambling... and even if you were -- we all do it at times and gives me something to read -- so don't sweat it! And pry away... I'm pretty open to airing out my laundry - now that it's mostly patched up and clean If I can say one thing that helps someone else, then that makes my day worthwhile. Actually, I've been working on 'preferring others over myself' and I try to ask for help with that every morning.... sometimes it works - sometimes not so great... but I'm trying.

Hey Swan -- I'm glad AA works for you, thanks for sharing all that. I'm glad we're all together also - well, maybe some are more all-together than others :rotfxko .
Yeah, I'm going stir-crazy being stuck inside sick when we've had two gorgeous sunshiney days (although it's still in the 30's).

TDC - I'll take all the 'good vibes' I can get Madrid sounds wonderful. I've only been to Poland and Ukraine - on missions trips. Nice to see other parts of the world. But then again, sometimes going to another state here is like going to another part of the world....

Ok, have a great day everyone... getting tired and woozy...
Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Really happy to hear you're feeling better or starting too! Wow you ladies are just cracking the funnies these last couple posts lmao! You both made me laugh, thanks.

Hey Hills, anytime you think you're rambling scroll up and find one of my posts, they tend to be way TOO long!

I take comfort in the fact that there's the little scroll bar on the side y'all can use to cruise right past it if you want.. And besides, I'm with Really not only do I want to hear what you want to say but it's actually nice to come to SR and have updates from the class!

On a different note, I have been tapering since I got into recovery, first off my anxiety medication then I started in on my sleeping medication and last night was one of my first nights intentionally going to sleep with out using any of the sleeping prescription (I had already tapered down to 1/4 of a dose so I figured I should start trying with none on some nights and see how it goes). It felt very odd, I guess that's to be expected after appx. 15 years on both meds (yes, I've been working with my psychiatrist as I'd prefer to get off them if I can) - I awoke around 4:30am (went to sleep around 11, so after 5.5 hours) and I had left the heat off so it wasn't hot in here at all but I found myself UBER uncomfortable- after I woke up half-way I found myself SUPER itchy to my dog and the dog hair/dander in my bed, then it was SO hot (when I'm sick or more often - hung over- well I was hung over more often than normal sick my lil pug causes me to BURN up just by laying there with me, she becomes a little canine furnace!) - yeah so I couldn't get back to sleep, didn't want to take any meds so I rolled to the couch w/o her and it took a while but I was able to get back to sleep. Then I finally woke up officially at 7am feeling groggy. As I said, I didn't expect this to be an easy ride but if possible I'd prefer not to be on anything anymore so I'm gonna keep trying here and there and see how it goes.

Well that's whats up with me today. Oh and I've been to Spain once, we hit Madrid, Ibiza, Majorca for the turn of the millenium (the fake one! 99-2000) and I'll be you can never guess what we did there given that our destination was Ibiza and spent most of our time on that island! I'd like to do it again sober though, I feel like we sorta squandered a fantastic opportunity to see a beautiful country by being drunk etc. the whole time....well, there's still time. Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I just hate it when I can't sleep. Does not happen very often but once every few months. Best to you Swan for capping that 15 year habit. Like everything we do in life, adjustments may be hard but better for us in the long run. Especially when it comes to drugs of any kind.

Sweet dreams tonight.......
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey Everyone...

I was actually hungry when I woke up this morning... but it was short-lived. Came to work - but now I'm going home. Feeling better than Wednesday, but worse than yesterday.

Anyway, Swan - when I got off the sleep meds it took several days or so for my body to adjust. So, if you're tapering down, give yourself some time to adjust at each stage. Celestial Seasonings makes a Sleepytime Extra tea that I drink before I go to bed, it helps most of the time. There are still times when I'm too hyped up and then I read or pray.

Happy Friday to all and to all a Good Day!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Thanks Really & TDC. And thanks for the tips R4R- I've tried this before a couple of times just never successfully. As a matter of fact, this is the first time in my life I've been able to completely taper off my anxiety medication which in and of itself is amazing- I think it was probably around the time I worked through the 5th step that I was able to taper off it completely. However, last night at 12:30 I was still wide awake reading my big book (yeah, reading will sometimes work to get me to sleep, other times it wake my mind up...even the big book lol) so I decided to throw in the towel and take 1/4 dose. Hey it's still great progress, even if I need to be on a small dose of my sleeping medication for a long while it's still great progress.....and as my psychiatrist explained what I'm dealing with now is different than my alcohol 'addiction', that this is a 'dependency' that has built up over years and years of use, I came to her already on these meds and she 'experimented' with me over the years and since I'm not bipolar or manic, depressed, etc. - any other med she put me on would send me into severe physical side effects (I explained this to her but she still wanted to try and it each time it failed with horrible results) and in short time she concluded that I was on the best meds possible. So really it's just trying to slowly undo the psychological and physical dependency from years and years of reliance.

Anyway enough with my sleeping issues!

Isaiah how's the new place man? Don't make us send an SR welcoming party to your house! Just kidding, but please do check-in when you get the chance and I hope you are doing well friend!

Really, sorry to hear your cold/flu/ickiness resurged -- sending you good energy too! This season has been wacky...

Hills- how are you? Is it this weekend that you go to Spain or next?

TDC you sound like you're doing well, keep up the good work bro!

Have a swell day everyone.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
TDC you sound like you're doing well, keep up the good work bro!
I AM NOT YOUR BRO ! ! ! .... just kidding, just kidding, Swan.

As a fundraiser opportunity for my son's school marching band we are given the opportunity to work a concession stand for a number of baseball games at Petco Park. The idea is we provide the labor (after proper training) and get a percentage of the sales for the band. Generally it is a lot of fun and get to do something good for the kids even if we have to wear this goofy outfits for 5 or 6 hours and some games can be non stop work.

We did one game that was sold out cause they were running a $5.00 hot-dog, drink, peanuts and candy promotion. We showed up with 10 volunteers and 2 or 3 Petco staff members supervised us. This particular game I chose no to stand behind a cash register but do all of the running around behind the counters. My "supervisor" was a kid no more than 18 years old and he kept bossing me around the entire day with the "do this bro" "do that bro" "mop this bro". I kept telling him my name is Tom not Bro, but he kept doing so I finally had to yelled at him with "I AM NOT YOUR BRO".

Oh well..... it was an eyeopening chance to see how much the other half of the world drinks. Beers were very expensive, yet people kept consuming them all day long.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Greetings from fantastic madrid. Day 2 and im doing ok. Madrid is amazing, hotel lovely, sights great..just a quick post from my hotel to say hello. Hope your all ok. Talk soon