Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
tomdecel
Sept 30, 2010

Swan,

What happened to that bike you got a few weeks ago?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since Hilary asked, I do not do AA either. I tried it many years ago which led to to an alcoholic therapy group and I found that the therapist was more screwed up than I was.

My whole approach now is to be fit and healthy. My father died at 62 from a massive hearth attack. His sister, brother and my grandfather all died in their early 60s. I am now 58 so I have certain fear that drives to take care of myself.

4 years ago I was 90 lbs heavier. I got so big because I was always drinking and eating crap and did not take care of myself. I lost the fat by working my @$$ off. I would get up at 4:30 AM and walk 4 to 6 miles day in and day out. No one did it for me. Nobody pushed me, I did it all by myself.

Same thing with alcohol. There are a number of "systems" out there but the drive to change and live addiction free can only come from within me. Simply, my drive to be healthy, fit and sober is a lot stronger than any effect alcohol could produce.

I do a lot of imagery (relaxation ~ meditation ~ self hypnosis) stuff and I read and listen to podcast on the health and fitness. Lately I have been exploring the whole concept of goal setting and using ones mind to create ones future. I don't know if it works yet but I am having a lot of fun and thinking positive has really changed my outlook.

I hope I did not come across too harsh on my previous post. I have tried this sobriety thing and have had who knows how many attempts in the past few years where I would go to 100 days + and think I was all cured and blow it all, and like they say in these forums, it is a progressive disease and I would just pick up right where I left off.

No more.