Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
SwanSong

I agree too that we have a lot of untapped potential in ourselves and our minds.

And I also agree that faith and friends (a support group of some sort) are critical for me. That's one of the reasons AA has been so instrumental in my recover - here it's just me and my pug mostly. Certainly that live at my place, all the rest of my family is across country so my only contact with them is via the phone. I got rid of all my old partying friends about a year and half ago - they wouldn't have been supportive anyway, they weren't the last few times I tried to get sober. At best they wouldn't push drinks or worse on me at worst they would suggest I could just have a couple or to join them in harder stuff...so not really much of friends at all.

So not only did AA offer me a program of recovery (which has worked as promised as I work it) but also new friends and the fellowship provides the kind of in-person interaction I was desperately lacking during the time I was trying to get sober with my good friend......just having one other person in sobriety with me wasn't enough. And he has his family life to live and be there for so he wasn't available for me to call or go have coffee with in the same way my sponsor and the other friends I have now been blessed with from AA have been. Even to this day he is pretty busy, and so are other people in AA (myself included) at times, but at least now I have a good amount of what I would call 'real friends' and my relationship with my sponsor moved over time from just a sponsor/sponsee relationship to one of good friends too. I can inevitably get someone on the phone if I am having any type of crisis or mental attack. They are, of course, less frequent or urgent now but I still try to continue to cultivate those friendships attempting to both give and receive in them.....

I'm not sure if I had found SR 16 months ago if that would have been enough or not for me to have stayed sober and have contented, happy sobriety. But now that I do have happy, contented sobriety using AA and SR, well as they say (whoever 'they' are!) if ain't broke don't fix it!

Really I hope you feel better soon....I felt a little blah today too, not sure what is up might just be the weather but I'm working from home today. I think for me it's the weather driving my sinuses crazy and causing me to have some not so restful sleep, on the plus side I'm not feeling hangover sickened and mentally/emotionally yucky cuz my drinking is affecting my work. It's just plain old normal stuff people deal with, that in and of itself is a gift. God knows I've had more than my fair share of sick days in the last many years, just at this company, due to hangovers. And even yesterday when I had a blah day, I reminded myself at least it wasn't blah as in I'm so hung over I can't do anything but either go have a couple bloody mary's down the street or wait til I get out of work so I can get more booze to kill the pain. That's a feeling you can't put a price on!

Have a great sober day everyone!