Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

WildernessVoice,
Welcome to the Class of October 2017! Glad that you are here for support. We are determined to stay on the path of sobriety! The future looks bright and we get there one day at a time!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Thought I'd start a list of October members and add as folks join – we’re off to a great start!

Let me know if I missed anyone!

Class of October 2017

AM100
Boracraze
BrandNewLife
charliesworld
ChloeRose63
clearlyheaded
davesnothere
DreamCatcher17
Erratic
Flinders39
Horatio48
kyndrakin
Layali
Linners820
Lisamum
mandosca
mba
PerplexednLost
Peytonrd
Readytodothis
Renvate
rmeatgt350
SeanFox87
Shan02
stephengb
Stubbs16
WildernessVoice
Zenyatta
zoos
Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Day 7 here. I did stay home from work. I was so tired this morning from coughing all night. I feel a little better since I was able to sleep after getting DD off to school. I could crack open my work laptop, but think I'll just take this day to myself.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Recovery Plan so far...what do people think? Please, give me suggestions if you like:

Exercise daily (starting this weekend)
Eat healthy-make sure to eat 3 healthy meals/day
Review my list of pros (zero) and cons of drinking
No alcohol in the house
Recovery Forum
Lots of water
Make sure to get enough sleep
Self-care-showering daily, brushing/flossing teeth twice/day
Keep up on housework and laundry
Research new paleo recipes (I’ve been doing paleo off/on for a couple of years)
Play with my daughter-teach her something new
Inform those close to me that I have stopped drinking and request their support
Stay away from places that remind me of drinking
Read books about recovery
Listen to AA meetings on UTube
Old 10-05-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan. Depending on where you’re starting from, maybe ease into some of those (like exercise), so you don’t feel too overwhelmed by too much change all at once?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clearlyheaded View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Depending on where you’re starting from, maybe ease into some of those (like exercise), so you don’t feel too overwhelmed by too much change all at once?
Yes, agreed-when not drinking, even sometimes when I am drinking, exercise has been important to me. But, you're right...easing in is probably the way to go
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Readytodothis View Post
Recovery Plan so far...what do people think? Please, give me suggestions if you like:

Exercise daily (starting this weekend)
Eat healthy-make sure to eat 3 healthy meals/day
Review my list of pros (zero) and cons of drinking
No alcohol in the house
Recovery Forum
Lots of water
Make sure to get enough sleep
Self-care-showering daily, brushing/flossing teeth twice/day
Keep up on housework and laundry
Research new paleo recipes (I’ve been doing paleo off/on for a couple of years)
Play with my daughter-teach her something new
Inform those close to me that I have stopped drinking and request their support
Stay away from places that remind me of drinking
Read books about recovery
Listen to AA meetings on UTube
Great plan! My goal is to get back into yoga and meditation. Need to make it a priority of at least 20 min 3x's a week to start.

I love that you mentioned paleo recipes. Please share any good ones you find! I thought about doing Whole 30 again but I don't want to be too stringent right now. Paleo is a great idea to focus on healthy meals.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I do a silly thing (to most people) but I still give myself calendar stickers for my daily accomplishments! I have been a sticker person all my life. Sometimes I look back on a month to see how I have done. It really helps my progress and motivation. Thought I would share .
Old 10-05-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
Great plan! My goal is to get back into yoga and meditation. Need to make it a priority of at least 20 min 3x's a week to start.

I love that you mentioned paleo recipes. Please share any good ones you find! I thought about doing Whole 30 again but I don't want to be too stringent right now. Paleo is a great idea to focus on healthy meals.
Apparently, they have added ketchup and mustard to the Paleo diet, which was music to my ears!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

About to head out of work-I'm glad it's been slow here, so I've been able to spend a lot of time on SR during my first 3 days. Planning on stopping by the grocery store to pick up some salmon for dinner tonight-yum! I hope my daughter is in a better mood than she was last night, but either way, I'm not drinking! Congrats to everyone on the almost-completion of another day!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I do a silly thing (to most people) but I still give myself calendar stickers for my daily accomplishments! I have been a sticker person all my life. Sometimes I look back on a month to see how I have done. It really helps my progress and motivation. Thought I would share .
That's actually a really great idea! My 4yo loves sticker charts so it'll be easy to remember. Thanks!!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Apparently, they have added ketchup and mustard to the Paleo diet, which was music to my ears!
Nice! That and mayo are my downfalls. I think I'll try to make some paleo mayo for chicken salad mmm and I have some fresh dill in the garden! What's for dinner tonight? I'm on the east coast so getting ready to cook
Old 10-05-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
Nice! That and mayo are my downfalls. I think I'll try to make some paleo mayo for chicken salad mmm and I have some fresh dill in the garden! What's for dinner tonight? I'm on the east coast so getting ready to cook
Yum! Never done paleo mayo-definitely want to hear how it is. I'm making salmon, just baked with some seasoning, and asparagus. I'm on the east coast too!!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Yum! Never done paleo mayo-definitely want to hear how it is. I'm making salmon, just baked with some seasoning, and asparagus. I'm on the east coast too!!
Yummy! We had pizza and broccoli haha. I went into the kitchen to cook, and it really made me want some wine. So I popped a pizza in the oven and listened to The Home podcast. Now I'm having icecream So, not off to a good healthy eating start, but today that's good enough for me because I didn't drink! The craving is still there so I'm hoping this icecream and a cup of tea will help.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Hello everyone... I guess I’m joining this group. I’m on Day 4.

I quit drinking around 9 years ago when I got divorced. I was sober for about 6 years and I thought, hey, maybe I was overreacting. Maybe I was drinking too much simply because I was going through a rough time in my life. So I decided to try drinking moderately. Within a few months, I knew I couldn’t drink moderately, but I figured I’d just stop “when I was ready.”

Fast forward three years... I’m binge drinking 2-3 nights a week when my daughter is with her dad, I’ve gained a ton of weight, I’m bitter and resentful all the time. It’s embarassing and I hate it.

I tried to work up the courage to go to an A.A. meeting tonight. Couldn’t do it. I pulled in the lot and pulled back out and left.

I don’t have a plan. I know I’m supposed to make a plan but I am too overwhelmed and disappointed in myself to accomplish anything. Posting this semi-pathetic cry for help is my plan today.

I recently read Elizabeth Vargus’s memoir and in it, she talked about being in a rope maze, blindfolded, while at rehab. The way out was simple: ask for help. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I’m awful at asking for help. As a single mom, I’m very proud (including all the negative connotations) of my ability to do everything myself. I don’t even know how to begin to humble myself and ask people for help. That needs to change.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry your drank charlieworld but I'm glad to see you back - it means you want to fight this

hi rmeatgt

I wonder sometimes if we do ourselves a disservice by thinking of alcoholism as a disease - it kinds makes us the passive victim, like we have little or no say in what we do and thats just not right.

We have absolutely the last word on what we decided to do - always. Noone here needs drink if they don't want to

If you need to find a new way to chill out, then find it.
Exercise works great for me.

If you need more support, then find it.

If you need more help in using the support you have, ask for it.

If you need to make changes in your lifestyle, jot down what they might be and what you can do about it.

I'm not picking on you btw - this is stuff for everyone

these are, IMO, the two golden links for newcomers - I hope you guys will read through them

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

we can do this

D
That's great advice Dee, I'm going to read and write down those posts, super helpful information . And you're right, thinking about this like a disease is a bit of a crutch, but I've always been that guy whose forced to be perfect, hard to admit I'm the problem.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

At least it's a problem we can fix rmeatgt350

D
Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
At least it's a problem we can fix rmeatgt350

D
Funny, just hearing you put it like that helps. I hate problems I can't fix. 😂 👍
Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Welcome, TiredPrayer. Glad you are with us. Keep posting.

I'm a single mom too, of a 10-year old. I'm also notoriously bad at asking for help. Part of it is being proudly independent, part of it is not wanting to be a burden, and a part of it is fear of rejection. I've also driven to AA meetings only to sit in the parking lot and talk myself out of going.

We're all in this together, and together we are stronger than our individual selves.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Day six, hurrah!. Almost drank the dregs out of my husband's beer( foam really). It reminded me of when I quit smoking and took a drg off a filter left over in an ashtray and made myself sick. Pathetic, so I went into my bathroom and brushed my teeth twice. Yaaaah , the things we do for addictions