Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hello Octosobers!! You're going to love this. It's a little rocky at first, but the benefits of sobriety will start to be noticeable fairly quickly and you'll wonder why you waited so long. Congrats on making the best decision of your lives.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I'm devastated to be back here again. Really messed up yesterday.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

day 2 for me today all ok for the moment. I suffer with vertigo so still have dizziness but more obvious as not masking it with drink. Plus anxiety makes vertigo worse. Bit of a mess here.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
Chin up we can do this x
Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
Ugh, back to day one. Couldn't resist a beer to chill me out. Took one sip and almost dry heaved. I'm not sure which is worse, the drinking or the inability to drink to calm down . It's hard to believe I've done this to myself. More motivation to move forward.
At least you are aware and posting here. We are all here to help each other. Don't beat yourself up. Be kind to you. 👍
Old 10-05-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

A warm "Welcome" to the Class of October2017 for all of you new posters. I am glad you are with us for support. These first days can be rough so stay with us!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry your drank charlieworld but I'm glad to see you back - it means you want to fight this

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350
Ugh, back to day one. Couldn't resist a beer to chill me out. Took one sip and almost dry heaved. I'm not sure which is worse, the drinking or the inability to drink to calm down . It's hard to believe I've done this to myself. More motivation to move forward.
hi rmeatgt

I wonder sometimes if we do ourselves a disservice by thinking of alcoholism as a disease - it kinds makes us the passive victim, like we have little or no say in what we do and thats just not right.

We have absolutely the last word on what we decided to do - always. Noone here needs drink if they don't want to

If you need to find a new way to chill out, then find it.
Exercise works great for me.

If you need more support, then find it.

If you need more help in using the support you have, ask for it.

If you need to make changes in your lifestyle, jot down what they might be and what you can do about it.

I'm not picking on you btw - this is stuff for everyone

these are, IMO, the two golden links for newcomers - I hope you guys will read through them

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

we can do this

D
Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kyndrakin View Post
I'm joining. It's been about 12 hours of sobriety, which isn't sobriety because I can't even think straight enough to type this. But I have hit my limit and I know I can't do this alone. So hi! I feel so much shame right now.
Welcome!
Old 10-05-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
Sorry you drank, but glad you aren't giving up.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

So, last night was pretty frosty between me and hubs. We had to go out to the vets to pick up some meds for the dogs, he clearly was still agitated with me. But, got thru it, and his mood has lightened a bit this am.

Slept fairly decent for early days. Its raining here today, will have to wait till it stops to walk my dogs, then myself. Grateful to be up and about, sober .

My grandson recently broke his arm, third time now, same spot. Football, wouldnt ya know? His cast comes off today. Plan on seeing him this weekend. What are everyones weekend plans?

Hoping all are doing well. If not, post , post, post! Have a great day friends.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Sorry, but glad you came right back!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubbs16 View Post
So, last night was pretty frosty between me and hubs. We had to go out to the vets to pick up some meds for the dogs, he clearly was still agitated with me. But, got thru it, and his mood has lightened a bit this am.

Slept fairly decent for early days. Its raining here today, will have to wait till it stops to walk my dogs, then myself. Grateful to be up and about, sober .

My grandson recently broke his arm, third time now, same spot. Football, wouldnt ya know? His cast comes off today. Plan on seeing him this weekend. What are everyones weekend plans?

Hoping all are doing well. If not, post , post, post! Have a great day friends.
I've had plenty of those days/nights, where it is so awkward between myself and my s/o b/c I was unsure how I had messed up during my last drinking session. It never has to happen again. It's so nice to wake up and remember the day/night before, isn't it?

I have a 3 day weekend, as Monday is a holiday, so I will really be tested. We have plans to go to a children's birthday party on Saturday and I want to get pumpkins and mums to decorate the outside of our house. I absolutely love this time of year!
The house needs a good cleaning...I'm also excited to spend some quality, sober time with my daughter
Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Dee on his post. So often, I have let the fact that Im an alcoholic, be an excuse for why I cant remain sober. Its true I am one, but using this as an excuse is just pure AV talking. Or,letting bad life situations or things that upset me, as a justifaction for yet another binge, setback. I know its damn hard,, and Im still working on that myself. But I know the real truth.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Starting day 3 here and all is going well so far. Had a tough time last night...my daughter fell off of the couch into the coffee table (she's 2-ended up being okay-a little bruising). Then, later on proceeded to have one of the worst tantrums I have ever witnessed. We were able to put her to bed early-definitely overtired-and get to bed early ourselves. But, boy-in the midst of the chaos, I wanted some wine. When I woke up this morning, I was so proud that I didn't give in Another one in the books. Still working on my recovery plan, which I'm hoping will be done tomorrow. Have a great day everyone! I have to get going at work, but will be back later.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Readytodothis View Post
Hi all,

Starting day 3 here and all is going well so far. Had a tough time last night...my daughter fell off of the couch into the coffee table (she's 2-ended up being okay-a little bruising). Then, later on proceeded to have one of the worst tantrums I have ever witnessed. We were able to put her to bed early-definitely overtired-and get to bed early ourselves. But, boy-in the midst of the chaos, I wanted some wine. When I woke up this morning, I was so proud that I didn't give in Another one in the books. Still working on my recovery plan, which I'm hoping will be done tomorrow. Have a great day everyone! I have to get going at work, but will be back later.
Awesome for powering thru that! Proud of you! So glad your daughter is ok!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Readytodothis View Post
I've had plenty of those days/nights, where it is so awkward between myself and my s/o b/c I was unsure how I had messed up during my last drinking session. It never has to happen again. It's so nice to wake up and remember the day/night before, isn't it?

I have a 3 day weekend, as Monday is a holiday, so I will really be tested. We have plans to go to a children's birthday party on Saturday and I want to get pumpkins and mums to decorate the outside of our house. I absolutely love this time of year!
The house needs a good cleaning...I'm also excited to spend some quality, sober time with my daughter
Yes, its nice to be on day 3, and remember last night! Your wkend plans sound great! ,I love fall too, and decorating the house, yard. When my son was little, we always made a trip to the pumpkin patch. Great fun, great memories!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

afternoon dear people x day 5 for me

welcome to all the new people and well done on those who fought the battle last night and also well done for those who has come back x i am normally one of those who keeps coming back it is worth to keep trying.

This morning i went for long walk with dog to my old place where i did some gardening and visited a few peeps there, was nice cool blue morn and now its grey and showering lol so glad i went out this morn.

hub is home tonight so will have company and he will keep me up for a while. My tension in jaw is much better today so maybe my pills is working a little and i am more relaxed about not drinking. Can't believe its just Thursday its been long week but have the dreaded weekend coming up, so will just have to plan a routine like i have through the week to get past it .

Anyway will leave it there for just now, will check to see how u all are later x have great day x
Old 10-05-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Day 6 here and feeling pretty damn good about it. !
Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Starting again. Day 1 today. I had almost 2 months sober and got complacent in September. Began smoking pot again and thought that would be "safe." 🙄 Then 1 drink here or there turned back into nightly drinking. Gotta get back on the wagon before it gets any worse. I won't let AV sneak in the backdoor this time. Happy Octsober everyone Twizzlers and lime sparkling water to get through the first days.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hello everyone I am joining the October class with you all and hopefully can draw strength and wisdom from the great support and opinions here. I joined the site a few years ago and have had periods of sobriety and then back at the drinking again.

As others have said I have struggled with "having a solid plan" and it is that which allows me to fail.

That said....
I began a mental plan awhile ago on coming up with a better approach and ways to make myself more accountable and also have a means in place when I struggle. I know where the weak spots are now I just need to power through those down times.
I joined a gym and work with a personal trainer x3 per week. Very costly so I have stuck with it.
I recognize that I do not have family or friends to rely on so again I now know I have to find more productive ways to fill my time. I happen to be a drink at home alone type and it has led to ridiculous bouts of depression. I am working on that as well by looking for new hobbies and things to fill my time. I work from home so I think I tend to become far too isolated.
Anyway sorry this has become way too lengthy.... I will finish by saying I am on day 1 and looking forward to the future.