Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

AV came at me strong earlier tonight. I barely ate anything today so by dinner I was very hungry, and that's when the cravings hit. Got to remember HALT. Dinner helped, but I still had some cravings. AV whispered, you cruised through 6 days, it's almost the weekend, blah, blah. Thinking I could moderate my days by only drinking on weekends back in June is what led to my months long relapse of nightly drinking that I finally was able to climb out of. Just putting this out there to shut AV up. I was invited to watch Cubs playoffs at a neighbor's house tomorrow night; I'll most certainly decline. Being sick is a great out
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I would like to join please. I've been in many classes and I had 20 days in August, but have been drinking daily for a few weeks. I'm finishing up day 4. I have a cold, and I don't feel like drinking, but I'm worried about the weekend coming up.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone
Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I'm on day 0....
I am starting to make a plan in my head though. I also have a ton of herbal things on hand to help me. I'm supposed to be starting St Johns Wort soon but I wanted the other stuff out of my system first. But.... I have to do this NOW, and yet I have this bottle here and I wanted to finish it first. Is that dumb? Maybe. My therapist just told me I might only have until December with her, and I don't know how I can cope with that. It's been like 5 years of intensive personal therapy. But if I have only a tiny bit left, I need to get off the drugs NOW so I can do the rest of the therapy I have clean... and make sure I'm on St Johns Wort and see how that goes (I've actually already talked to my doc about this too - he's for me trying this).

So I am developing a plan for what to take, what to eat, and mental health activities and coping skills and such. But it's not all written down anywhere. I'm just scared.

And I'm terrified of not seeing my therapist anymore....

I want to finish this bottle but my tolerance is building too fast and I can't take too much at a time so... I really should pick a day and just dump it all.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Layali

you can always find a reason to keep drinking...trouble is before you know it decades pass...

You said you might only have til December - so there's still a chance it may continue - so I'm calling the AV out on that reason to drink.

Dump what you have left - start fresh and make the most of every day

D
Old 10-05-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

Emme I've been here loads of times too. Just can't seem to stop. I'm sure I first joined here originally before I had my son and he's nearly 10.

There's a lot of people here already and it's only the 6th! It's going to take a while to get used to everyone's names.

Now my head is a little straighter after yesterday I thought I'd introduce myself a bit. I don't drink daily, I actually have long periods of not drinking, last time was about 130 days (although I did have a drink at a wedding in that time). I lose control when I drink. I can't stop and Wednesday I drank in the day. My OH came back from a work trip and had to pick the kids up from school. I have 3 children. My eldest an adult now went through hell with me, my younger 2 are at school and I'm not sure they are aware of what is happening. They know something isn't right. Tuesday night I had a drink and my youngest said "mum you smell like that time you were ill". That was ages ago but he was affected enough to remember it. I'm better now than I was but I can't control it. I can't seem to stop until I've blacked out then I feel terrible and don't want to sober up at all. I'd rather die than face it but of course there's no choice - you have to face it.

My danger time without a doubt is when my OH works away and I can drink and no-one needs know. It doesn't happen often but this time he was away for 2 nights. First day was ok, second day I was thinking about drinking all day I blacked out (after the kids were in bed) but woke up hungover and drank in the morning because I know from experience that it helps. I couldn't face the day feeling horrible and I knew my OH would be back and I wouldn't be able to drink at the night time. TBH not much thought went into it it's like I'm on autopilot. I've missed 3 days of work now too and had to cancel a meeting yesterday.

Last time it happened I went to see a councillor and I think she would have helped but it was £50 a go and I cant afford that. This time I've made an appointment at the doctors. Although the earliest I could get was next week. I don't know if they can help but I have run out of options. I didn't really want it on my medical record but my OH really wants me to see someone this time. If I stopped fighting this and just gave up the consequences would be horrendous.

Anyone from the UK watch Ambulance last night? I can easily see myself getting to the place where that bloke a the end was. Right now life feels really hard - it feels that way a lot but I know it's early days and the alchohol is still affecting my mood.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me, feeling much more determined now. I’ve been having vivid dreams the past 3 nights but I know they go away eventually. I can’t wait to go home and get a gym routine going to help keep my mind busy.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hello to all. Welcome to new members, and those returning.

Had a rough night of sleep, but its ok. I would rather be tired from lack of sleep then waking up hungover, resentful, and full of self loathing! All this evens out the further into sobriety you get. So, let's keep at it .

Not much going on today but my plan of exercising, and going to visit my grandson either tonight, or this wkend sometime. So glad to see so many joining the class. Lets make this our month/time! We can do this.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Good morning folks,

Day 7 here and feeling ok. Last night was tough, I stared at a bottle of wine for almost 5 mins without moving. I still have alcohol ( beer and wine ) in my house. Up until today I hadn't given it much thought but it caught my eye last night, I powered through however.

Watching the sun come up is something I've been able to enjoy the past 7 days, I really missed that.

I'm still spending alot of time on here reading each day as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered getting the booze out of your house AM100?

D
Old 10-06-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Good morning all-Day 4 has begun and I'm feeling pretty good. Earlier this morning the AV was pretty strong, "I can stay sober during this week and only drink on the weekends." Ummmm, shut up!!! I am a little worried about the weekend, but I am making plans to cover most of my time. Tonight is takeout night in my house, which I always look forward to. It'll be interesting to do it sober
I've gotta get the exercise going again...if I'm having strong cravings later, that will be tonight. If not, then probably tomorrow morning.
It feels great to wake up sober for another day!
Welcome to all the new people!
Old 10-06-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Morning everyone. Day 7 and I have come along way in one week. I can't imagine what I was like this time 7 days ago! My mind is clearer and more focused. I am calmer and feel more at peace. It is great to be able to get some real sleep even though the dreams are crazy. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Just checking in to commit first thing - I will NOT drink today, no matter what!! Who’s with me?

I have to get the kids ready. Be back later to chat. Have a great day!!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
Good morning everyone! Just checking in to commit first thing - I will NOT drink today, no matter what!! Who’s with me?

I have to get the kids ready. Be back later to chat. Have a great day!!

“I have to get the kids ready. Be back later to chat.”

I’m going to correct this: I have a habit of putting everyone else first and myself last on the list to power through. Then I “need” the shutdown of drink or mindlessly cruise social media to relax bc I’m just so spent. So I’m going to take 10 min to sit down, drink some coffee and set an intention to take care of me today.

What do I need today?
1. Eat, shower (yes for some reason I think these are negotiable to save time and get others’ needs met)
2. Deep breathing and meditation - I can feel the built up stress in my body. The anxiety is sitting in my chest. Going to do some alternate nostril breathing.
3. Yoga - I’ll do at least 30 min today.
4. Put dinner in the crockpot. Cooking and drinking is a huge trigger for me, so going to avoid it until I’m feeling stronger.

What are you guys doing to take care of yourselves today?
Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Finally ready

Finally to the point that I know I have to stop. Years of binge drinking has taken it's toll and my body is telling me to stop. I want to be healthy again. Day 4 for me. I'm really glad that I found this site.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you considered getting the booze out of your house AM100?

D
Yes, I've considered this but just have not for some reason, quite an anomaly I suppose.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
“I have to get the kids ready. Be back later to chat.”

I’m going to correct this: I have a habit of putting everyone else first and myself last on the list to power through. Then I “need” the shutdown of drink or mindlessly cruise social media to relax bc I’m just so spent. So I’m going to take 10 min to sit down, drink some coffee and set an intention to take care of me today.

What do I need today?
1. Eat, shower (yes for some reason I think these are negotiable to save time and get others’ needs met)
2. Deep breathing and meditation - I can feel the built up stress in my body. The anxiety is sitting in my chest. Going to do some alternate nostril breathing.
3. Yoga - I’ll do at least 30 min today.
4. Put dinner in the crockpot. Cooking and drinking is a huge trigger for me, so going to avoid it until I’m feeling stronger.

What are you guys doing to take care of yourselves today?
This is really helpful. I’m such a martyr. I don’t even know what I need.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!
Day 2 and doing well so far...I have already received a text from a friend to come over this evening and have wine. I decided to be honest and come clean. I told her I would love to come over but I am no longer drinking. We talked for the last 45 minutes and I told her I value our friendship and I need to make changes for my life.
With her encouragement I feel safer on a Friday night going to her house knowing she has my back and will make sure I don't have anything to drink.

Also..I started dating someone a month and a half ago that I do not want to lose... thus far I have managed to keep it to a 2 drink maximum when I am with him and last night obviously I stuck to sparkling water. He is not a big drinker which I am glad of so I know it would not matter to him if I do not drink. Last night I told him I was thinking of giving up alcohol totally but I did not tell him why... he only knows that I log a lot of hours at the gym and being in shape is super important to me. Trouble is I lied, I let him think it was a fitness thing and he responded positively and I know I should have been more honest with him but right now I am just not ready...
Is it wrong of me not to spill my guts to him?
I would like to tell him eventually if we stay together (I am hopeful lol) but I want to have some solid sober time before me first.

Am I wrong?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WildernessVoice View Post
Good morning everyone!
Day 2 and doing well so far...I have already received a text from a friend to come over this evening and have wine. I decided to be honest and come clean. I told her I would love to come over but I am no longer drinking. We talked for the last 45 minutes and I told her I value our friendship and I need to make changes for my life.
With her encouragement I feel safer on a Friday night going to her house knowing she has my back and will make sure I don't have anything to drink.

Also..I started dating someone a month and a half ago that I do not want to lose... thus far I have managed to keep it to a 2 drink maximum when I am with him and last night obviously I stuck to sparkling water. He is not a big drinker which I am glad of so I know it would not matter to him if I do not drink. Last night I told him I was thinking of giving up alcohol totally but I did not tell him why... he only knows that I log a lot of hours at the gym and being in shape is super important to me. Trouble is I lied, I let him think it was a fitness thing and he responded positively and I know I should have been more honest with him but right now I am just not ready...
Is it wrong of me not to spill my guts to him?

I would like to tell him eventually if we stay together (I am hopeful lol) but I want to have some solid sober time before me first.

Am I wrong?
Starting a relationship built on honesty is always the best way to go. But if you don’t feel ready, don’t rush it. You’re getting sober for you and don’t need to explain it to anyone until you’re ready. You took an important step in telling your friend. Celebrate that victory and let it propel you forward.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredPrayer View Post
This is really helpful. I’m such a martyr. I don’t even know what I need.
Yes, this is me too. I always feel like I should be able to do it all and not inconvenience anyone else. This morning, I realized I couldn’t. Well, I could, but I don’t need to. Today’s my husband’s day off, and in order to take care of myself I could ask for help. So I woke him up (I normally let him sleep in) and said, “Can you help me get the girls ready? They need breakfast and to get dressed and I need to take a shower.” He popped out of bed and set right to helping. I had to take both kids to the dr and he came with us to help. It was so nice to not be stressed out about it all, and since I took time to center myself first thing I felt way less anxious than I would have.

Got the chili in the crockpot and now I’m relaxing with a kava tea and a heating pad for my back that’s been sore.

Can you think of a couple things you can do to de-stress? Go for a walk? Get a nice coffee? Take a nap? Read some sober blogs?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Welcome, Class of October 2017! Just wanted to stop in and say hello.... thought I'd invite you all for a ride on the Sober Bus if anyone is interested

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Sober bus is rolling, it's never too late to hop on board, especially on a Friday. Come join us and well ride on thru the weekend together.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...us-pt-8-a.html (Please stay on the Sober Bus -- pt.8)