Notices

22 years old

Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I see. No, I can understand that. You're still very young. I'd never admit this, but when I was 22 and came home from college on the weekends, my Mom still did my laundry. Moms will always be your Mom, no matter how old you are (at least in my family that's how it is). My parents still call me Jeffy. yeah, true story.
True.

But I definitely think that it's a weird time to be 22 in this day and age. Before, you'd be expected to have been a soldier, and married with kids by that time. Now, all you hear is how "millennials" are growing up late, opting out of marriage, having kids later, and are still living in their parents' basements. Different times, no doubt, but I don't let it bother me. I consider myself an adult in the ways that count. I can take care of myself, which sadly is more than I can say for a lot of people these days.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 95
Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Yay no cavities.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorchedGrave View Post
True.

But I definitely think that it's a weird time to be 22 in this day and age. Before, you'd be expected to have been a soldier, and married with kids by that time. Now, all you hear is how "millennials" are growing up late, opting out of marriage, having kids later, and are still living in their parents' basements. Different times, no doubt, but I don't let it bother me. I consider myself an adult in the ways that count. I can take care of myself, which sadly is more than I can say for a lot of people these days.
Its interesting you brought this up. I do not have kids, but I read how times have changed. And they always will. My parents generation was different from my generation, which is different from your generation. Now whether it is better or worse, that is for the individual to decide. Were you born and raised here in the US? I see kids here in the midwest not leaving the best until much later in life. I didn't move out until I was 19, but there are kids in this neighborhood who have worked for me, who still live at home at 25-27 years old. The culture has changed.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Its interesting you brought this up. I do not have kids, but I read how times have changed. And they always will. My parents generation was different from my generation, which is different from your generation. Now whether it is better or worse, that is for the individual to decide. Were you born and raised here in the US? I see kids here in the midwest not leaving the best until much later in life. I didn't move out until I was 19, but there are kids in this neighborhood who have worked for me, who still live at home at 25-27 years old. The culture has changed.
Yeah it's probably a cultural thing; I remember my Italian professor once telling us how it's completely normal for guys to stay at home with their moms, even into their thirties, provided that they're not married. It's interesting to see how what's socially acceptable varies across country.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Day 96

Got some good exercise in today, which is perfect timing since it'll be cold and raining tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Do your best

you sir are awesome
Old 04-30-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Torchedgrave

Just wanted to say well done and keep it up. I've read your entire thread and I feel the same ways in a lot of respects. Im 24 (just) so not much older than you.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Happy May!

What a great way to start the month of May with depressing clouds and rain.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

What's the latest with the Mom situation TG? She coming home?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

What's the latest with the Mom situation TG? She coming home?
Looks like she wants to stay another month and a half.

Good riddance I say.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Day 97

Getting ready to slit my wrists. Take a look at the forecast for NYC for the next 7-10 days and you'll see what I mean. Straight overcast for the next 80 or so hours. Why? No God could be so cruel. It's 49 degrees right now, which is 18 degrees below average. It's psychological torture. But at least I'm not drinking.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Your drinking days are behind you TG. And to that I say good riddance.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Hey, looks like the ****** weather will only last until Saturday! No sarcasm haha. Hopefully this is the end of it. Okay day today, kind of slow at work. It was probably one of maybe two times that I actually left on time.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Day 99

The ticket finally showed up in the system. It's a $40 fine, which is ridiculous given that a bell costs like $5. What's hilarious is that when I bought the bike, it came with a bell on it, but I removed it because I never used it. Ironic huh? It seems that if I schedule a hearing, it won't be before at least several months. I'm typically not the type to enjoy putting things off; I much prefer getting things over with, which is what's tempting me to just pay the damn thing. I look at it this way, does it really make sense to skip a day of work, with an opportunity cost >$40, to fight a ticket that costs $40? (Then again, who the hell even knows if/where I'll be employed by the time the hearing comes around.)

Anyway, today was alright, except for the fact that I spent all day with wet socks/feet because one of my shoes had a hole in the bottom, which evidently let water in. Pretty annoying. It'll be raining again for who knows how long...
Old 05-03-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Exercise your American right to face your accuser! Take it to court!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Exercise your American right to face your accuser! Take it to court!
I'm scheduled for a hearing in ~7 weeks. If I'm still working at the time (which is entirely unknown), it'd be hard to justify going. It'd actually be in my financial interest not to. We'll see though. Who knows what'll happen by then. I could be dead. But let's hope it's the officer instead.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Some things are more important than money. Taking a stand against extortion is one of them.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Some things are more important than money. Taking a stand against extortion is one of them.
A lot of things are, but I wouldn't call this extortion. Despite the silliness of the law, I am technically guilty. It really just comes down to whether it's worth my time. It's looking like it's not. But again I think it'd be fun to see what it's like. I've never been to court before (don't even think I've ever actually seen a judge), not that traffic court/judges really count in my opinion. It's like the kiddy-table of professions, what the abacus is to Wolfram Alpha.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Oh, I've spent my fair share of time in front of a judge, its not much fun. But if I were to get a traffic ticket, I'd fight it just for fun.