Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 2

Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
That's a great, clear-sighted tape. And I agree with you: tapes are great. And I've never heard of them talked about outside of here.

I've had the congestion. I'd get it in the morning after drinking, like part of the hangover. It always made sense to me, since I and some people get basically a cold when going through withdrawal, complete with sneezing and cough. I never thought of it as an intolerance ... That's crazy.

My hardest days this time have been ... Ugh. I swear every day so far is harder than the one before it. The first few weeks were so easy. Things have gotten harder as I've gone along. I don't think that's normal. :/

In the past my hardest days were also more numerous the more time I had.

This is something ima try not to think about.
Not that it is good that others have the congestion thing but it makes me feel less like a weirdo

That's awful that's it's harder the longer you go. Do you think it's because you have more cravings or because you start to think you have your addiction under control and can somehow manage your drinking if you decided to start again? 😂
Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's midweek guys keep up the good work & have a nice day today
Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hello all. I am a 'serial returnee' here. Managed over ten months last year but then started drinking around the time my dad died (that isn't an excuse, just a fact). I've spent time looking at baclofen as a way to reduce cravings and have seen a consultant about it. On the stuff as of yesterday. Back, feeling positive and motivated. Nice to meet you!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Welcome Mentium! I'm doing well this morning - Day 4. I haven't missed alcohol at all, not yet, since the last horrible binge. I tend to drink when I stressed and have stretched myself too thin. Here are some tools/alternatives to drinking I have come up with when I'm feeling that way:

1. Get in bed. Read Kindle. Close eyes. Nap if needed.
2. Get in comforting yoga pose such as child's pose. Close eyes and rest.
3. Pour a yummy non-alcoholic drink - even sparking grape juice which helps with low blood sugar dips in afternoon and lifts spirits.
4. Get an early dinner.
5. Get on treadmill or do yoga at home if I can't get out to the studio.
6. Fill up bath tub with hot water and bubbles. Set up candles (or not) but just get in and relax.
7. Take dog for walk. Slow down and breathe the fresh air.

These are my stress relievers that I found help me from drinking. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Treadmill helps me too Juno. I've got to make myself stick to it, and not stay lost in "problems". Gonna reread some stuff if anything will slow down where I can.
I need a point of view "switch". Glass half full is so much better than half empty, sort of thing.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Day 2 !
Old 10-14-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good one JL

D
Old 10-14-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Day 2, again. Got to make some changes because I keep slipping up. The good thing is hubby noticed I had been drinking the other night so the gig is up. I had been hiding it from him and feel just terrible about it. Now he knows and can help me so a part of me feels relieved. But, I need to be the one to reach out and ask for it when I am struggling.

Feeling positive this morning about making this stick this time. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Today is day 10- yay double digits. I am not feeling strong but I think because arguing with husband a lot.
The thought came to me that I act like an alcoholic even when I am not drinking if that makes sense.
At the AA meeting I went to last night they talked a lot about anger. I am so so angry and I think if I relapse it will be because of my anger.
And so I need to find a way to deal with it- little by little. Issue by issue. I find myself really lashing out at people for little things and I wonder why I don't have anyone who really loves me in my life except for my two boys. Thank God for them and I just pray that I can always be loving to them at least.
Thanks for letting me vent.
JB.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Jilly, I recently took a neuroscience course and anger/frustration causes a dopamine rush in the brain (feel-good chemical) which can be addictive.

Unfortunately, anger also comes with cortisol and adrenalin, which aren't so good. Long deep breathing through the nose can really help. Be patient with yourself.

Hugs.

Day 14 for me and I am feeling really optimistic. The weather is stunning and I went for a bike ride this morning. I found myself singing "Oh what a beautiful morning!" from Oklahoma out loud on my bike!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Day 2 for this battered and weary alcoholic. Again the resistence when I write that word despite the evidence is incredible.....I'll keep on pushing through said resistence. the way I'm feeling right now I can't imagine myself risking drinking again.....but I know the thought will come at me again out of nowhere....like in a haunted house in a theme park.....a ghoul just randomly jumping out at me....got to be prepared to kick it in the head......or like that game where there is like 20 holes and randomly a little head pops out and you've got a few seconds to bash it with your mallet......got to be ready to bash those thoughts with my mallet

By the way, can someone explain "class of October"? does that mean if you are sober in October 2015 you stay on this thread indefinately with the people who are sober this month? or is it just a new thread every month?

Well have a great day!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beeme View Post
Jilly, I recently took a neuroscience course and anger/frustration causes a dopamine rush in the brain (feel-good chemical) which can be addictive.

Unfortunately, anger also comes with cortisol and adrenalin, which aren't so good. Long deep breathing through the nose can really help. Be patient with yourself.

Hugs.

Day 14 for me and I am feeling really optimistic. The weather is stunning and I went for a bike ride this morning. I found myself singing "Oh what a beautiful morning!" from Oklahoma out loud on my bike!
That's strange, I read something very similar last night....how we can become addicted to negative spirals and just as equally to positive spirals (spirals of thought) so better to catch yourself before you slip into a negative spiral and seek the positive

sounds like a cool course
Old 10-14-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I've got to run off to work, but I wanted to say thank you for all the posts this morning! I love reading the posts in the morning - gets my head in the right place for the day.
Juno- great list! I will be borrowing some of those ideas from you. Thank you!!
Help- I often wonder if/when it will get harder for me to resist the urge to drink. Surely it won't always be that hard, right?! What scares me is if my past is any indication of my future, and I'm sure it is, it would be a long time before I tried to quit again. Usually one night of drinking turns into a 5 month binge, and I am in bad shape by the time I attempt to quit again. Keep fighting and keep posting. You inspire me daily. Today is day 25 for you right? Awesome!!!!
Jilly and Beeme into double digits!! That's a milestone to feel great about! Keep up the good work
Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Day 3: Feeling physically about the same as yesterday, which is discouraging. I'm committed to getting my diet and nutrition under control immediately this time around. That's going to take a lot of work because I usually eat like garbage or not at all. And when I've tried quitting, it's been the perfect excuse to say "Hey, I'm stressed out, I deserve whatever junk food I'm craving" or "I don't know how to cook and I'm dealing with too much to learn something like that right now." These attitudes have definitely contributed to relapse in the past and probably the present state of lethargy and unhealthiness I'm feeling right now. l've read that simple carbs and refined sugars are killer for alcoholics due to our erratic blood sugar levels, so those are gone this time around. I can cut refined sugar no problem, but the simple carbs are my comfort food. Gonna be tough, but it's giving me some purpose at a time when despair and self-pity run wild on my unattended mind. So breakfast this morning is:
Fried egg
Bowl of pumpkin-oats cereal (whole grain)
Cup of orange juice (no added sugar)

It's really stupid to be telling people that a grown man is struggling to make that breakfast. My obnoxious head-voice is saying "How about just cereal, it's going to be a pain in the ass to clean a frying pan." So stupid. But lying and hiding my faults got me here in the first place. Need to be humble and stop hiding.

Good luck today, everyone.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hiya Wolfy (hug)!!
Welcome Mentium! Keep on til it sticks. You only fail if you quit trying!
Juno, great list! I'm glad you have one...shows you are really trying to change and cope! Being aware of your triggers and how to get through them is huge!
JL and Ladybug, day2! Do it different, try something new. Don't make it easy to fall again.
Jilly, day 10!! Great job!
Beeme, day 14! Glad you're feeling optimistic!
Alhowsoonisnow, welcome! October class can mean a lot of things, depends on the person. It can mean when you joined SR website. It could mean your quit month. It could mean you fell and want to join the month of your re-commit month. It's whatever it means to you, really.

Happy hump day! I'm off today, fall cleaning. Reassessing some relationships and what they mean to me. Digging into the why I'm feeling this way, should I move on, is the friendship worth saving. Going to have a heart to heart with my eldest adult child who feels he is entitled, feeling we and the world owe him something. Won't give a crap about himself and his life. Won't accept the fact that he is 23 and its on to adulthood. Well, reality is, everyone works and everyone lives a "life". It don't have to be the life I would like for him to have, but a life of some sort. Things in his life hasn't changed because he has chose to stay the way he's always been.
Anyway long post! Sorry have a wonderful sober day! Commit to another 24 and make yourself gaurd your sobriety!
Today is my day 86! Thankful grateful and elated!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Strongenough keep going! You can do it. We posted at the same time, wanted to say "hey"!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Strongenough, I am so with you on the diet thing.

I feel SO much better when I cut sugar, flour, and other simple carbs. I actually think that eating this way right now is helping with my alcohol cravings. I eat plenty of fat, veggies, fruits, and animal protein, and I feel really good.

Good on you for cooking eggs! I need to get in that habit, too. I always feel better and fuller for longer (and steadier blood sugar) when I eat eggs for breakfast.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Well I figured out part of the reason I get those overwhelming sugar and alcohol cravings- I have Candida
It seems many alcoholics have it, might worth looking into for some people.
Not medical advice- just whats happened to me
Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

We are having a great October here in the far north of England. The sun has been shining and there are even butterflies around - amazing for this time of year. Took my dear old mum out for a drive along the coast this afternoon and that was good. Bought some nice fancy soft drinks for the next couple of wine free evenings (of many I hope!)! Feeling good here, if a tad nervous about night #1 and almost certainly hardly any sleep.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

My plan is to eventually cut out most sugars and simple carbs. Actually, since I've already cut out wheat and most refined carbs anyway.....shouldn't be as hard. I haver to now work on cutting out most chocolates, white potato stuff (that's horrible for my blood sugar and alcohol cravings) and a few other things. My ideal diet is higher protein, healthy fats, veggies and some fruits, nuts, etc.

However, I can't cut all that out at once plus alcohol. It's too much of a shock to my system. I've tried it beefore, and I've always relapsed quite quickly because of that. But everyone is different. For me, I'm giving this only a few more days of the junk and I'm trying to transition to healthier stuff slowly, starting today....I just started taking all my supplements too. So yeah, in the long run, sugars and simple carbs are horrible for alcoholics and I've read studies that say that people who have given up alcohol but keep the sugars have a VEERRRYYY high relapse rate. So!

Anyway.

I'm physically feeling a bit better today - what a relief! Still not perfect though. And mentally, already my GAD is worse, and my depression too....well....all of it actually. It's come back with a vengeance, but, I know that it's usually not even this strong, and it's only this strong because of the alcohol. So, it will get better....might get worse first....but eventually it'll get better.