Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 2

Old 10-13-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

I don't sleep for 3-4 days after a wine binge either, its gotten to the point if i feel like drinking I ask myself if its worth not sleeping the rest of the week
Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I am in the August class but would like to join you all too. I was a secret binge drinker, bottle hider. Progressed to a bottle or two 5 days a week. Started SR thinking I could just drink socially as I didnt overdo it then. HAH!

First withdrawal was July, it was nasty. I wish I had medically detoxed. Some slips along the way, got serious with a psych, and made it over 30 days. Now I am at day 4 again after a very bad blackout Friday. I dont remember what happened before I started drinking, so not sure what trigger was. SCARY!

I will never know what happened but that did it for me, I am done with poison, it was a seismic shift . I have been reading about sleep issues in this class and they did improve during my month of sobriety, so hang in there! I recall the 3 am panic wake ups during withdrawal, glad those are gone! My anxiety improved also exponentially with no wine for that month. Lots of benefits to look forward to for those just starting this journey!!

I am looking forward to getting to know you, I see some familiar names(((JL, FABL))
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - welcome Sadi1- Today is day 9 and full of cravings but I know why. I work 24 hour shifts and in the past whenever I was super tired after work I would start drinking around 3 pm so today I think my body is really wanting that. I have caught myself all day thinking what if I just drink one glass of wine? Not good. Tonight I am going to an AA meeting - my first all womans meeting and then hopefully just coming home and relaxing with a movie.
Stay strong everyone- we can do this today
Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hi, guys!

Today is day 10 and I'm feeling pretty good.

Still playing the tape(s).

Like many of you have mentioned, being in those environments where others are drinking of even thinking of times (like lunch outside on a patio) that make me want to drink have been hard.
I totally have the jealousy thing. I see people going to happy hour and having cocktails at their leisure and it makes me really sad. But then I remember that those people can have a couple and go home. Me? I go home only after i've drank much faster than everyone else and only after i've stopped at the liquor store before reaching home. And there's a good chance I might go back before the night is up.
And then, while those sweet little happy hour goers are long asleep, I'm still plowing through booze at 1am, passing out at 3am and waking up with a wicked hangover wondering how I'm going to function at work.
All because I went to happy hour. (There's one of my tapes I play)

I really am so thankful for the whole 'playing the tape' explanation.
I've said it before, I know, but it really helps me get over the jealousy thing and pushes the cravings away.

So something I recently noticed after my drinking....
When I wake up the next day, I'm congested. If I talk, just about anyone who knew me would ask if I was getting sick.
And then, a day or two later, its gone. This started happening every time I drank up until my sobriety started 10 days ago for about 3 weeks.
My ears also did this weird thing every time I hiccup/burp for a few days after also.

I googled it the most common answer was that it is an indication of an alcohol intolerance (allergy).
I'm 33 and have been drinking for well over a decade and never had this happen.
All of a sudden I have an alcohol intolerance?
Anyone else have anything like this happen to them??

So anyways, that being said, it sorta freaks me out and its actually been something that drives me to stay sober.

I've been feeling pretty strong but between now and about 3 weeks it gets pretty hard. I'm just praying my mind doesn't try to give me a hard time in the next 10 days or so.
Days 10-20... UGH

What are the hardest days for everyone else when you're trying stay sober?!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm doing well today. A better day overall. Will go back and read all the posts. Got a Chiptole dinner with my daughter and going to relax a bit and get things ready for tomorrow. Also a successful group therapy session. Day 3 complete and successful!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StrongEnough View Post
Member of the July class who's back to Day 2. This one hurts more than usual, and it's not just the cravings/hangover/PAWS. I managed to lose my job this time. I'm trying to look at it as a blessing because it was a massive source of stress at a time when I needed to be focused on my disease.

But I let a lot of people down. Thankfully, everyone I've talked to has been understanding. My wife was the biggest source of strength. In the past there would have been a lot of anger and threats after a mistake like this. Not this time. She saw how much pain I was in and really took charge of the situation. The last few years have been hell for her, but we've been together for more than fifteen. She believes in me, but knows that I can't give one inch to my disease. I need to treat it like diabetes, something I could have prevented but a manageable sickness.

I've taken the first step and, for the first time, I'm 100% committed to recovery. There's no job to worry about and no emotional abuse or constant shaming from my wife. I'll be posting every day to track my progress. I did that back in July and it was nice to go back and read my posts again. It reminded me that these feelings I'm having right now will pass. I can be healthy again. I just need to stay vigilant.

Thanks for reading this. I hope I'll never have to be in this position again, but it helps to hear that others have made it through similar situations.
Totally have been where you are my friend.
Stopping drinking is so hard for some of us.
I'm sorry youre going through this.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Yes, you can do it JL 2014!!

Day 3 for me. Plugging away at this one day at a time. I feel some relief that my worst days are behind me. I don't know what life is going to throw at me, but I do know that I don't have to drink over it, whatever it may be. Lesson learned, alcohol makes a bad day 10 times worse.

Happy Tuesday to all
Thanks Juno !
Old 10-13-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Time2rise. I am a binge drinker too and i also can go days without it affecting me but around day 4 i start to feel the pull. I have never been a every day drinker but i was moving my way up to it. I got to an every other day thing for awhile. That was really bad. Anyway i think 10 days is amazing whether your a binger or not. Just keep going.

JL- I have not slept well for two days. It is awful. I am out of my medication i take for sleeping as well and i can't get any refills. I have done melatonin but that doesn't always work for me. Last night was awful i just could not fall asleep. Probably because i drank two days ago. My body always does this. I will not be able to sleep for 3 days than at 3 days i finally sleep and then i am stupid and drink and the cycle starts all over. Why does alcohol mess with your sleep so much and for so many days? I am a zombie today!
I'm a binge drinker too.
I'm totally with you!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hug my Sadie !!
Today was so bad.
I'm sober though. Thank you God !
Old 10-13-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
Layali, Strong, and Time2....stay strong...you can do it!

Use this post as a reference that SoberWolf posted for the September class.....
Read this stuff until you eyeballs fall out of your head...It works..engrave it in your brain...make it second nature! No, really it does help if you find things you can implement into your own life. Me, I was willing to do anything, "anything" to change my ways.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Thanks!! I've just bookmarked this page.

I went out today and bought MORE halloween decorations. You can never have too many halloween decorations.... haha. This is one thing I love to do sober. Halloween is one thing that has never been really tied to alcohol for me, in fact, it's one way I can truly enjoy while sober!! It brings me joy.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Kelly, I am at 3 weeks today, and I would have to say days 4 and 11 have been my hardest so far. Day 4 because over the past year I had made it to 4 days several times and would think "wow, that's great, that's unbelievable!" then reward myself on that 4th night by drinking. Every stinking time. So at day 11 this time around, I was a week past the dreaded day 4 and really thinking I earned myself some drinks for that. I kept telling myself just don't drink, don't do. So at day 12 I was starting to feel like I had some traction. I don't want to lose my days that are starting to add up- those are hard to come by!
Congratulations to you!!! Keep fighting the good fight : )
Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellymh24 View Post
Hi, guys!

Today is day 10 and I'm feeling pretty good.

Still playing the tape(s).

Like many of you have mentioned, being in those environments where others are drinking of even thinking of times (like lunch outside on a patio) that make me want to drink have been hard.
I totally have the jealousy thing. I see people going to happy hour and having cocktails at their leisure and it makes me really sad. But then I remember that those people can have a couple and go home. Me? I go home only after i've drank much faster than everyone else and only after i've stopped at the liquor store before reaching home. And there's a good chance I might go back before the night is up.
And then, while those sweet little happy hour goers are long asleep, I'm still plowing through booze at 1am, passing out at 3am and waking up with a wicked hangover wondering how I'm going to function at work.
All because I went to happy hour. (There's one of my tapes I play)

I really am so thankful for the whole 'playing the tape' explanation.
I've said it before, I know, but it really helps me get over the jealousy thing and pushes the cravings away.

So something I recently noticed after my drinking....
When I wake up the next day, I'm congested. If I talk, just about anyone who knew me would ask if I was getting sick.
And then, a day or two later, its gone. This started happening every time I drank up until my sobriety started 10 days ago for about 3 weeks.
My ears also did this weird thing every time I hiccup/burp for a few days after also.

I googled it the most common answer was that it is an indication of an alcohol intolerance (allergy).
I'm 33 and have been drinking for well over a decade and never had this happen.
All of a sudden I have an alcohol intolerance?
Anyone else have anything like this happen to them??

So anyways, that being said, it sorta freaks me out and its actually been something that drives me to stay sober.

I've been feeling pretty strong but between now and about 3 weeks it gets pretty hard. I'm just praying my mind doesn't try to give me a hard time in the next 10 days or so.
Days 10-20... UGH

What are the hardest days for everyone else when you're trying stay sober?!
I think this is me too, I get anxiety, depression, insomnia, my face gets really red and I'll get dark circles under my eyes ( like I've been punched) after 1 bottle of wine and 9 hours sleep, and I wasn't even drinking more than 1-2 bottles a week :/
My friends' stepmom said the same thing happened to her, she drank wine for 15 years and it came out of nowhere and only got worse.
I'm 32 and have been drinking over a decade too ( wine binges)
Guess its a sign
Old 10-13-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

10 days is great Kelly!
Grizzly 3 weeks is amazing!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grizzlybearblue View Post
Kelly, I am at 3 weeks today, and I would have to say days 4 and 11 have been my hardest so far. Day 4 because over the past year I had made it to 4 days several times and would think "wow, that's great, that's unbelievable!" then reward myself on that 4th night by drinking. Every stinking time. So at day 11 this time around, I was a week past the dreaded day 4 and really thinking I earned myself some drinks for that. I kept telling myself just don't drink, don't do. So at day 12 I was starting to feel like I had some traction. I don't want to lose my days that are starting to add up- those are hard to come by!
Congratulations to you!!! Keep fighting the good fight : )
I love getting to 3 weeks. It's a big hump for me and if I can get over it I DEFF start noticing changes in my thought processes regarding booze.
I'm jealous of your 3 weeks. You rock!!!!
Keep it up!! What is the longest you have ever gone?
Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StrongEnough View Post
Member of the July class who's back to Day 2. This one hurts more than usual, and it's not just the cravings/hangover/PAWS. I managed to lose my job this time. I'm trying to look at it as a blessing because it was a massive source of stress at a time when I needed to be focused on my disease.

But I let a lot of people down. Thankfully, everyone I've talked to has been understanding. My wife was the biggest source of strength. In the past there would have been a lot of anger and threats after a mistake like this. Not this time. She saw how much pain I was in and really took charge of the situation. The last few years have been hell for her, but we've been together for more than fifteen. She believes in me, but knows that I can't give one inch to my disease. I need to treat it like diabetes, something I could have prevented but a manageable sickness.

I've taken the first step and, for the first time, I'm 100% committed to recovery. There's no job to worry about and no emotional abuse or constant shaming from my wife. I'll be posting every day to track my progress. I did that back in July and it was nice to go back and read my posts again. It reminded me that these feelings I'm having right now will pass. I can be healthy again. I just need to stay vigilant.

Thanks for reading this. I hope I'll never have to be in this position again, but it helps to hear that others have made it through similar situations.
I believe in you! I'm glad you're here.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Hi Team,

Just finished work! Yay
Gonna head to school in a bit then yoga and read for school tonight.
Jsbodhi bringing it today!!! Good for you!! I'm glad you're here : )
Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellymh24 View Post
I love getting to 3 weeks. It's a big hump for me and if I can get over it I DEFF start noticing changes in my thought processes regarding booze.
I'm jealous of your 3 weeks. You rock!!!!
Keep it up!! What is the longest you have ever gone?
thank you!! Your encouragement is much appreciated

I am definitely feeling better than I have in years and looking a lot healthier too!
A little over 2 years ago, I got out of rehab at 29 days, went to a meeting at 30 days to get my chip, and on the 31st day I started drinking again. With a few exceptions here and there, I've pretty much been a daily drinker ever since then (and weekends total binging). I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I have got my eye on a prize- at 32 days that will be my longest in 7 years. I want it BAD!!!! I can only get there one day at a time, but I am definitely already entertaining thoughts of how amazing that will feel! Thanks for being on this journey with me : )
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Well the longest i have ever been sober was 10 months. That was only because i was pregnant and then after i had my son i did not drink for a month. It was no problem for me to quit then at all. I mean for me there was no way i would drink once i was pregnant. I did not even think about it, crave it or anything.

Besides that i have only gotten to i think 11-12 days. So for me the hardest is always day 4-5. I get awful headaches at day 4 and 5 and i will be so tired! I just feel drained and awful and usually that makes me think drinking will make that all go away! At around day 10-11 i feel like i am doing so great and i always end up giving in. I tell myself i don't really have a problem, since i made it so far. Ha! Stupid girl i am!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Well the longest i have ever been sober was 10 months. That was only because i was pregnant and then after i had my son i did not drink for a month. It was no problem for me to quit then at all. I mean for me there was no way i would drink once i was pregnant. I did not even think about it, crave it or anything.

Besides that i have only gotten to i think 11-12 days. So for me the hardest is always day 4-5. I get awful headaches at day 4 and 5 and i will be so tired! I just feel drained and awful and usually that makes me think drinking will make that all go away! At around day 10-11 i feel like i am doing so great and i always end up giving in. I tell myself i don't really have a problem, since i made it so far. Ha! Stupid girl i am!
This is my cycle too
Old 10-13-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Ugh, the headaches are so annoying! Days and days with no reprieve. I tried to treat it symptomatically the first 2 days, but nothing was helping, and I realized I was just going to have to wait it out. In at least the past 10 days though I haven't had a headache at all! The amount of adviI I was taking at night to try to prevent a hangover then more in the morning to deal with the hangover is just gross.
Don't give in!! You can do this!!! I'm glad to see you posting on here - that's a really good start