Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 2

Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I've had a headache all evening, I'm wondering if its the lack of sugar, I haven't had any alcohol and also not eating sugar, I might buy some candy or something
Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Made it home safe, sound and sober, going to do some readings and head to bed.
I hope everyone is ok xoxo
Old 10-13-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Well that was ridiculous, I got an overwhelming sugar craving and just had to drive to 7-11 at 11 pm in my pyjamas to buy candy, I think I bought too much, but I certainly feel better.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Help and need - I am all about lists too! Of course only when I'm not drinking. I have a little planner book that I'm writing in constantly - but once I start a drinking cycle, I don't even open it. Its like that part of me disappears. And I miss her. Top my list also is no drinking. Nothing changes in my life if I don't. From little things like cleaning out a closet to big things like relationships or taking care of myself.
Right?! My internal list goddess disappears when I'm drinking, too. It brings to mind the old chestnut that an alcoholic is a different person when they're drinking. I go from a person with an organizational level of like 8, to a person with one of like, 0.

Also, your daughters birthdays sound fun Stuff like that seems to be where it's at.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

New to the thread. Today is my 40 th birthday and was going to make it day 1...again...for good. But it seems like tomorrow will be the one. I thought I had a small sinking problem, but it's awfully hard to quit...
Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StrongEnough View Post
Member of the July class who's back to Day 2. This one hurts more than usual, and it's not just the cravings/hangover/PAWS. I managed to lose my job this time. I'm trying to look at it as a blessing because it was a massive source of stress at a time when I needed to be focused on my disease. But I let a lot of people down. Thankfully, everyone I've talked to has been understanding. My wife was the biggest source of strength. In the past there would have been a lot of anger and threats after a mistake like this. Not this time. She saw how much pain I was in and really took charge of the situation. The last few years have been hell for her, but we've been together for more than fifteen. She believes in me, but knows that I can't give one inch to my disease. I need to treat it like diabetes, something I could have prevented but a manageable sickness. I've taken the first step and, for the first time, I'm 100% committed to recovery. There's no job to worry about and no emotional abuse or constant shaming from my wife. I'll be posting every day to track my progress. I did that back in July and it was nice to go back and read my posts again. It reminded me that these feelings I'm having right now will pass. I can be healthy again. I just need to stay vigilant. Thanks for reading this. I hope I'll never have to be in this position again, but it helps to hear that others have made it through similar situations.
Heck yeah, you can do it again, with tweaks to make it last for good. Less stress and open communication with wife seem like good starts Welcome to the class.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellymh24 View Post
Hi, guys! Today is day 10 and I'm feeling pretty good. Still playing the tape(s). Like many of you have mentioned, being in those environments where others are drinking of even thinking of times (like lunch outside on a patio) that make me want to drink have been hard. I totally have the jealousy thing. I see people going to happy hour and having cocktails at their leisure and it makes me really sad. But then I remember that those people can have a couple and go home. Me? I go home only after i've drank much faster than everyone else and only after i've stopped at the liquor store before reaching home. And there's a good chance I might go back before the night is up. And then, while those sweet little happy hour goers are long asleep, I'm still plowing through booze at 1am, passing out at 3am and waking up with a wicked hangover wondering how I'm going to function at work. All because I went to happy hour. (There's one of my tapes I play) I really am so thankful for the whole 'playing the tape' explanation. I've said it before, I know, but it really helps me get over the jealousy thing and pushes the cravings away. So something I recently noticed after my drinking.... When I wake up the next day, I'm congested. If I talk, just about anyone who knew me would ask if I was getting sick. And then, a day or two later, its gone. This started happening every time I drank up until my sobriety started 10 days ago for about 3 weeks. My ears also did this weird thing every time I hiccup/burp for a few days after also. I googled it the most common answer was that it is an indication of an alcohol intolerance (allergy). I'm 33 and have been drinking for well over a decade and never had this happen. All of a sudden I have an alcohol intolerance? Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?? So anyways, that being said, it sorta freaks me out and its actually been something that drives me to stay sober. I've been feeling pretty strong but between now and about 3 weeks it gets pretty hard. I'm just praying my mind doesn't try to give me a hard time in the next 10 days or so. Days 10-20... UGH What are the hardest days for everyone else when you're trying stay sober?!
That's a great, clear-sighted tape. And I agree with you: tapes are great. And I've never heard of them talked about outside of here.

I've had the congestion. I'd get it in the morning after drinking, like part of the hangover. It always made sense to me, since I and some people get basically a cold when going through withdrawal, complete with sneezing and cough. I never thought of it as an intolerance ... That's crazy.

My hardest days this time have been ... Ugh. I swear every day so far is harder than the one before it. The first few weeks were so easy. Things have gotten harder as I've gone along. I don't think that's normal. :/

In the past my hardest days were also more numerous the more time I had.

This is something ima try not to think about.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Well that was ridiculous, I got an overwhelming sugar craving and just had to drive to 7-11 at 11 pm in my pyjamas to buy candy, I think I bought too much, but I certainly feel better.
Sugar is great. I eat ice cream with fruit in it (to pretend it's real food :p ) every night at 1 am
Old 10-13-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hi all! Closing day 24 soon with an episode of the X-Files.

Welcome to the new folks, Sadie, others I missed.

My update ...

I finally had a "drinking dream" last night. Up to now, I'd been having these bizarre but delightful things I call "anti-drinking" dreams. I would be presented in the dream with alcohol and then remember, oh, I don't drink anymore, and I wouldn't drink.

Alas, not last night. Last night I was apparently entering a singing competition (I don't sing), and I was dreading it, so I figured I'd drink and do some coke right beforehand to call my nerves during the songs.

Weird: I've never even done cocaine.

At least I didn't actually get to be part where I did drink. But I'm shaken by the ease with which I made the decision, in the dream, to get through the scary thing by using alcohol.

Anyway ... Things are still mostly good tho. Getting harder, but still good.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I always get headaches when i quit drinking. I never linked it with sugar but maybe next time i get one which is usually at day 4 sober i will hit up the candy store! lol.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
nmd

Back on day 1. I need to learn to get through basic social interactions without using them as an excuse to drink.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome clarebear

nmd, are these social interactions mandatory ones?

D
Old 10-14-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I've been having some issues with my social interactions as well nmd. Some days I can do them and some days I have to really put some effort into it.

Basically, if I'm feeling OK then my conversation turns out fine. But if I'm feeling down and out or anxious then I almost feel as if the person I'm speaking with knows I am feeling this way, which makes my social interaction a bit weird and awkward.

Just letting you know I can relate to the hard to deal with social interactions.

Hope all is well Class of October. I'm still chugging along, longest stint I've done in over a year!
Old 10-14-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
Also nmd (I think it was you) you posted about having a "plan z." That's an awesome idea. Do you have a link to where that idea came from? I'd like to know more.
CaseyW in the may 2015 class thread originated the idea. I tried searching but came up with every post with the word plan... which is 50% of sr.

It's a simple idea really, a twist on what are you going to do differently this time. Plans x and y weren't enough to stay sober last time. What is the plan z that will bring you final sobriety? Instead of doing the minimum and just not drinking, it got me thinking: how do I make this stick

Nmd, I also wanted to comment on the poem you linked to--I may not drink anymore, but Bukowski is still a favorite of mine. His novel "Factotum" shows how he can both be a chronic unapologetic alcoholic, and believe ghe stuff he says in The Laughing Heart. It's such a good book. I recommend it for anyone who isn't triggered by depictions of people drinking. But then there's his poem "The Ice Cream People." It's pretty much the only thing he wrote about a time in his life he was trying to stay sober (for health reasons). It sticks in the head in a big way. It's a
Yeah, he certainly was an interesting character. My introduction to him was literally when I stumbled on The Laughing Heart. I was a bit hesitant to post it here, but his chronic alcoholism makes it more interesting in a way. Triggers are a funny thing. Drunkenness is pretty off putting to me, but the romanticized idea of drinking can trigger.

Ice cream people... that was funny and sad at the same time. To feel so out of place in a normal sober situation. If only I could feel that out of place when around drinking.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
nmd

I just wanted to post it. I think a lot about this poem. I always had this term in my head I'd use, "open door people." That's people who don't close the doors to the rooms they occupy, it doesn't even occur to them to close the doors, because they never have anything to hide or be ashamed of. Open door people leave their papers all over their desks, and the doors open anyway, because they don't care if you read what they're writing about. A person who has always been an open door person, who did not have to learn to be an open door person, is a very special individual. Be friends with any such open door people you meet.

After I read this poem, I think of them as open door/ice cream people. They are a happy people. And I am not one of them. But I can appreciate them, and emulate them, and learn from them.

:P
Great stuff helpimalive
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome clarebear

nmd, are these social interactions mandatory ones?

D
In this case, it was family visiting and staying for the weekend. Conversation of a brewery tour was brought up and I wasnt wise enough to change the subject or break away.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Soberish View Post
I've been having some issues with my social interactions as well nmd. Some days I can do them and some days I have to really put some effort into it.

Basically, if I'm feeling OK then my conversation turns out fine. But if I'm feeling down and out or anxious then I almost feel as if the person I'm speaking with knows I am feeling this way, which makes my social interaction a bit weird and awkward.

Just letting you know I can relate to the hard to deal with social interactions.

Hope all is well Class of October. I'm still chugging along, longest stint I've done in over a year!
It turns awkward for me when someone brings up some topic related to drinking and I don't quite know how to gracefully navigate around it. It takes time, experience and planning I guess.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
nmd

Unrelated to everything else, I lost an old friend this weekend. She had pneumonia and her body gave in after a brief fight. She and her husband were my very close friends but were also part of the old happy hour crowd, and we haven't hung out in about a year.

Making the sympathy phone call when some has died was horrible in ways that is hard to explain. It also digs up a lot of feelings when the friendship has been neglected. I want to repair the friendship with the husband but I also know that there's a good chance that won't happen. The whole situation is just all around sad for me; losing and old friend, losing friendships that I can't repair because the other party is holding a grudge. The wake is Thursday, hopefully that will bring some closure.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grizzlybearblue View Post
thank you!! Your encouragement is much appreciated

I am definitely feeling better than I have in years and looking a lot healthier too!
A little over 2 years ago, I got out of rehab at 29 days, went to a meeting at 30 days to get my chip, and on the 31st day I started drinking again. With a few exceptions here and there, I've pretty much been a daily drinker ever since then (and weekends total binging). I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I have got my eye on a prize- at 32 days that will be my longest in 7 years. I want it BAD!!!! I can only get there one day at a time, but I am definitely already entertaining thoughts of how amazing that will feel! Thanks for being on this journey with me : )
That's crazy. I had a friend you did the same thing just one day out of rehab.
I wonder how common it is that people do that?
I will be rooting for you big time! 32 days is almost here. You totally got this 👍🏻☀️😎
Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Sugar is great. I eat ice cream with fruit in it (to pretend it's real food :p ) every night at 1 am
Lol, pretty sure fruit is real food. Lmao 😝