Notices

You have the Power Sober Weekender Thread June 11....

Old 06-15-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Mesa why you have to go and scare the crap outta me about debit cards? Why is everything so complicated? How are they getting the numbers? Ugh.

Today I went to walk in the water, like always. A bit of seaweed in the shallows...I step on a big sharp piece of barnacle in my bare feet and slice open my heel. Step off that and onto another one - with my other heel. I had bleeding feet for a while, and now I'm walking around on tippy toes.. I guess tomorrow I do errands, no walking. Maybe go to the bank and get rid of my debit card. But then gas is $.10 a gallon more. Do I have to carry cash now? I thought when I grew up I could stop using cash.

ha ha. That is the emoticon for "grumble" - I'm used to one that isn't as ^^angry looking from another forum. I'm leaving it..
Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

It's ok. We knew when we bought it we'd have to make some repairs. It wasn't running quite right. So, it's not really a surprise or anything. Just sucks to not have it running properly. But, I have patience

Eating my salted caramel truffle ice-cream now. Nom nom. I made sure to leave room for dessert after dinner

Is it your daughter's birthday, Ruby? Happy Birthday to her
Old 06-15-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

So...what is the consensus on debit cards? I spoke to 2 people this week already who had theirs hacked. I am contemplating getting rid of mine. Opinions?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Mesa...you have me wondering.
I honestly think I'll cancel mine. Although I am totally spoiled to them.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just a few last words for y'all:

JIF salted caramel hazelnut chocolate spread

yep
Old 06-15-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

How about if you only use them at your bank's atm for cash....is that safe?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Haf, I don't know anything about the debit card dilemma. Maybe ask at your bank? I guess I'm not suspicious enough cause ive never thought about it much.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

SoberP, my daughter turned 7 today, thank you.

ATM cards. Well, since mine somehow got hacked this past weekend, see earlier in thread, I'm leery of them. However, mine is an ATM debit/credit card with a Visa stamp but through my bank. I'm not paying for the theft. They will credit the bad charges and they did stop the card when they saw five transactions out of my geographic area. Still, it's inconvenient. Especially since I almost never keep cash since Mr. Ruby takes it all. Bottom line, ask your bank.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Yes, I will ask my bank. But I think I will start using it a lot less.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Credit Kids ~

Here's the deal...

There's various amazing Techno Fraud going on. Lil Scanners in the back of fancy Restaurants. They run your Card through it, and steal the info from it. Then, they run your Card through legimately, and hand you the Bill. Unknown to you, your Card info - with Expiration Date and 3 Digit Security Number - is quickly fenced out. It's used to run up Tabs until the Fraud is discovered, and the Card cancelled.

Other similar Scanners are retrofitted to legitimate Card Readers, as at Gas Station Pumps and - yes - this has been pulled off even at Bank ATMs. However, with Video Cameras on each one, the Bank ATM Scam is much tougher to pull off. Much of this activity is Crime Syndicate 'Insider' Jobs. I don't sweat it, personally. Fairly rare.

Here's the gist. Consider that the Techno Tricks above can be used on either Debit or Credit Cards. The Card type isn't the problem. So, it's not unique to Debit Cards. Credit Card Fraud taps no actual Funds of yours. It's simply an inaccurate Monthly Statement that comes in the Mail.

Debit Cards, however, are linked to your Net Worth at your Bank. Your Account is drained. It's an actual source of Money to steal, unlike the Paper Statement that comes monthly with a Credit Card. You can fight that, and I have. Piece O'Cake to get those charges reversed, and the Credit Card Company eats the Fraud. Depending on what State you're in, and the individual Bank Policy, Debit Card charges may or may not be reversible. You can be out the Money defrauded from you. It's gone before you know it.

This is why I skipped using Debit Cards years ago. Send me the Credit Card Bill. I pay it monthly. I rack up Air Miles using it. Keep a lil Cash on ya anyhoo. A Credit Card swipe takes no more time than does a Debit Card swipe, eh? A Credit Card is a Firewall between Fraud_sters, and your precious Money. Get a lil Cash Back at the Store. Or, use a Debit Card at only your Bank occasionally to get Fun Money.

Now back at the City House. No Prescription Drugs are missing from our Medicine Cabinet. A few slow Car Drive-bys since we got back. Some really bad, fruity Scent 'Plug In' has been unplugged, and set outside. Da Wife is Scent sensitive, so this was a lil Fuster Cluck that stressed her out. Actually, she's pretty P.O.ed right now at this whole House Selling Process. Plants and Lamps have been moved for Staging. Hand Sanitizer has been supplied. This means Folks are dirtying the Towels, and using the Can. Bad Planet alignment around here just now.

My Gig to manage. Sober.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Thanks Mesa for the very informative information. I'm going to make some changes and use credit card more than debit.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Mesa, food for thought. I don't keep much money in my current account and I turn down offers of overdraft facilities so that my salary goes in, my Direct Debits go out a couple of days later and I am left with enough to live on. No crimbo type is gonna get rich from hacking the Saoutchik A/c.

I haven't tried it yet but I downloaded an 'App' that is supposed to allow me to pay up to £20 on my phone

Happy 7th Birthday Little Miss.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

EMV... Also know as Chip and Pin... Are arriving on the shores of the U.S. As we speak. But sadly the debit card network is not going to be anytime soon. You might think it's already a chip and pin? No its a swipe and pin. The magnetic strip can be easily reproducible on both swipe debit and credit cards. Visa debit cards without a pin act as a credit card defaulting to checking a signature. That's where they get you.

The chip is a mini microprocessor that will add security. For card not present transaction we are all still vulnerable. But as for duplicating the mag strip and slapping it on a new card... Those day are over. You will see an increase in fraud over the next year as they try to get as much as possible before less and less cards are easily hack able.

It stands to reason that Debit cards will become the focus. Slow use on them or find alternative means. Just know visa backs these cards. You will always have recourse as liability is clearly NOT on you. Just the craziness of getting everything back in order... And a sense of saftey lost.

Do your own research and ask questions. A lot is changing and spending some time reading the official sites that help consumers understand is time well spent.

Just sayin....

Want to learn more about EMV... Go to EMVco dot com.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

This might be better for you.... the other site is more from the back end of things.

EMV Connection
Old 06-16-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Off to work.... and yes... I am dealing with making our systems EMV compliant and making sure NFC (applepay) works with our old dinosaur applications. *GEEK ALERT*
Old 06-16-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

okay, this thread goes in a zillion directions - not to be confused with a bazillion.

So which is more, a zillion or a bazillion.

Eye exam this morning - changed appt twice, first time after discovering my eyetologist doesn't accept my new insurance, Secone time when I was able to get the wife in for back to back appointments - giterdone I say.

It's already warm and humid when I took the trash out. Made b-fast and have to sort through two weeks of mail. Then flower planting. Much landscaping to do as well. And stain deck. Never finished it from the fall - other things came up.

Credit card/debit card. First time I went to Europe and since - especially Rusia - I open up a savings account with a debit card. I put a couple thousand or 15 hundred in the account to use if I need cash for whatever reason. I only put in enough so that I won't jump off a cliff if my card is hacked.

If you want to use a debit card for things, open a savings account attached to it but never keep more in the account than you can afford to lose in one day. It's good for emergency cash and as long as it's a stand alone account, you're safe from losing a lot. Keep 500 in it and if you go on a trip, replenish the account with a few more bucks. Just keep enough so you don't pay a fee for it if possible. Or do what I do when traveling. Open up an account and close it when you return. Banks love that!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Looks like that kind of day

Old 06-16-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

and happy belated birthday Bim, Did they let you out of hi school early the day Kennedy was shot?
Old 06-16-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Looks like that kind of day

Thanks Trach. I have had a really sucky Monday. I was spun up tight yesterday and trying to loosen my death grip on everything today. I have to relax. Seeing that was a reminder to do just that.

Thanks my friend!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Talking of eye exams, our company produces the signage requirements for a chain of opticians. My suggestion that they make the signs a bit blurry were not taken up