Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Credit Kids ~

Here's the deal...

There's various amazing Techno Fraud going on. Lil Scanners in the back of fancy Restaurants. They run your Card through it, and steal the info from it. Then, they run your Card through legimately, and hand you the Bill. Unknown to you, your Card info - with Expiration Date and 3 Digit Security Number - is quickly fenced out. It's used to run up Tabs until the Fraud is discovered, and the Card cancelled.

Other similar Scanners are retrofitted to legitimate Card Readers, as at Gas Station Pumps and - yes - this has been pulled off even at Bank ATMs. However, with Video Cameras on each one, the Bank ATM Scam is much tougher to pull off. Much of this activity is Crime Syndicate 'Insider' Jobs. I don't sweat it, personally. Fairly rare.

Here's the gist. Consider that the Techno Tricks above can be used on either Debit or Credit Cards. The Card type isn't the problem. So, it's not unique to Debit Cards. Credit Card Fraud taps no actual Funds of yours. It's simply an inaccurate Monthly Statement that comes in the Mail.

Debit Cards, however, are linked to your Net Worth at your Bank. Your Account is drained. It's an actual source of Money to steal, unlike the Paper Statement that comes monthly with a Credit Card. You can fight that, and I have. Piece O'Cake to get those charges reversed, and the Credit Card Company eats the Fraud. Depending on what State you're in, and the individual Bank Policy, Debit Card charges may or may not be reversible. You can be out the Money defrauded from you. It's gone before you know it.

This is why I skipped using Debit Cards years ago. Send me the Credit Card Bill. I pay it monthly. I rack up Air Miles using it. Keep a lil Cash on ya anyhoo. A Credit Card swipe takes no more time than does a Debit Card swipe, eh? A Credit Card is a Firewall between Fraud_sters, and your precious Money. Get a lil Cash Back at the Store. Or, use a Debit Card at only your Bank occasionally to get Fun Money.

Now back at the City House. No Prescription Drugs are missing from our Medicine Cabinet. A few slow Car Drive-bys since we got back. Some really bad, fruity Scent 'Plug In' has been unplugged, and set outside. Da Wife is Scent sensitive, so this was a lil Fuster Cluck that stressed her out. Actually, she's pretty P.O.ed right now at this whole House Selling Process. Plants and Lamps have been moved for Staging. Hand Sanitizer has been supplied. This means Folks are dirtying the Towels, and using the Can. Bad Planet alignment around here just now.

My Gig to manage. Sober.