Notices

You have the Power Sober Weekender Thread June 11....

Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Anytime teas...sorry... weasel!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

yesterday morning as I was plucking on the mando - not really practicing - I plucked out a tune intro and sang a song. I didn't even think about it until the wife heard me from upstairs and later asked what song I was singing. HUH? She told me I sang a song and I guess I don't remember as I constantly have music playing in my head.

Hear's the song for you all... enjoy.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Not only is this thread keeping me sober, but now it is keeping my meagre finances safe! Thanks guys!

I hope everyone is having a good week so far!

My best wishes,

B
Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Good morning! Brain, now you're speaking my language - kabillion, zillions. I'm fond of large numbers.

Eye exam. Have to add that one to the list too. I need to schedule a lot of appointments. I have to figure out who is taking my eye insurance lately. They kept switching. It's always baffling that while insurance is so generous with the body and mind, eyes and teeth rate a distant third. Like eyes and teeth are somehow elective luxury items. Drives me crazy.

Have to go now get kids ready.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
yesterday morning as I was plucking on the mando - not really practicing - I plucked out a tune intro and sang a song. I didn't even think about it until the wife heard me from upstairs and later asked what song I was singing. HUH? She told me I sang a song and I guess I don't remember as I constantly have music playing in my head.

Hear's the song for you all... enjoy.

My favorite!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

All the Credit Card Tech Info Overview you'll ever need is right there in Post #433 above. Many tnx, Weas...

I wondered Why D. Hell I just got a new VISA Card with fancy Chip embedded when I had ~2 years of life left on the old Card. Fraud is causing the speedy roll-out of Cards w/EMV Chip Security. I haven't got on the Bandwagon of Phone Pay, but it seems pretty secure to this ex-Cellular Dude. On a somewhat-related topic of critical info sent by Wireless, I keep my WiFi disabled. Bad Guys are 'sniffing' WiFi Signal, and hack Folk's Bank Accounts when they Bank on line. I don't. Period. It's even happening in stop/go Traffic from adjacent Cars. Solution: disable WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use. They can't pick up what I ain't sending out. Cellular, like this Verizon Air Modem, is very secure.

I've gotten nailed several times when I travel, and used my Card elsewhere. In Tokyo, I couldn't pay a ~$3,000- Hotel Tab upon Check Out. My Card had been 'suspended' due to activity in another Country. Stateside, it was suspended when I tried to buy my Sis a high end Flat Screen TV in SoCal. But, wait.... There's more. My Card was suspended when I put in Gas 2x in one day here. I was trying to run down the Gas Tank to fumes so that I could put in Fuel Injector Cleaner. I miscalculated, and had to put in a lil more Gas when driving back from our Mountain House. Checking to see if a stolen Card is valid by using it at an Automated Gas Pump is one Bad Guy Trick. So, that sort of Card activity is monitored, as it turns out. My usage pattern triggered a Software-based Alert.

I get a 'Security Alert' call from VISA. I, and some Cat named 'Winston' in India, sort through my last 10 Charges, looking for Fraud. He gets to a $1,864- Charge for Air Travel to the Bahamas, and blows right past it. I stop him, and back up. Turns out my sole Hacking Event was when a Main Frame was hacked years ago, and tens-of-millions of Accounts were stolen. My stolen Card info was sold, and used to charge some f'ers Vacation. This was not even what VISA was calling me about! I caught it.

Also, this bit where you can contest a Credit Card Charge within 30 days in writing is real handy when you order Goods or Services, and get taken by shoddy Business Practices. You have Recourse against that shyster Mechanic on a Vacation Drive, or when receiving a Product that's nothing like the Pic on line. Don't pay it. Contest it.

I've started using Cash for Gas, cuz my new Truck can take $100- to fill the 36 Gallon Tank. Cash Discount it is for this Geezer...

Mebbe the reason I'm on this Security roll is because I just filled out a 7 page 'Seller's Disclosure' on this House! Was Meth ever manufactured in this House? Are there known Environmental Hazards, or Waste Dumps on the Property? Are there pending Government actions that could diminish Property Value? Could a Meteorite hit me on my Ample Caucasian Azz tonight while in my Hot Tub? Lawdy!

Before Steve Miller, there was 'The Clovers'...
- 'Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash' ~ The Clovers
Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Mebbe the reason I'm on this Security roll is because I just filled out a 7 page 'Seller's Disclosure' on this House! Was Meth ever manufactured in this House? Are there known Environmental Hazards, or Waste Dumps on the Property? Are there pending Government actions that could diminish Property Value? Could a Meteorite hit me on my Ample Caucasian Azz tonight while in my Hot Tub? Lawdy!

I feel your pain. I work for HUD.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Was meth ever manufactured in this house? That cracks me up for some reason. "Why yes, yes it was!". I can't even imagine answering yes to that question. I've read enough to know meth labs are super dangerous.

Saw a guy yesterday through work who was going through withdrawal. He was in bad shape. Puffy,, red and bloated face, shaking uncontrollably. I felt sorry for him. I am grateful today.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Shape up, People!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Shape up in what way, Gilmer?

I'm thinking I have to get in shape.

By the way, I have not seen a meth lab in real life. Don't want to. Scares me.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

The song is about being a big sinner: "one day of prayin' and six nights of fun.
You better believe that the odds against going to heaven are six to one"

(Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-ooh)
You walk on the wild side--
You better walk humble--
"Cause if you stumble,
Satan is waitin' to take your hand."

I guess you have to hear it. It's got a real finger-wagging, Aunt Esther kind of feel! Lots of fun! And the Persuasions were one of the first big a cappella groups.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Our new NEA credit cards have the chips in them. We're using mostly credit cards now and paying them down/off. I've yet to have my debit card hacked, but... guess there's always a first time. MesaMan, thanks for providing us that info.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

I never click the youtube things, but for you - Glimmer...love that old-time gospel music

LB, yes they sent us home from school the day JFK was shot. Why? We were sent home to empty houses with no parents to comfort us and tell us we were safe. TV was no help - it was all JFK all the time. I was convinced there were people with guns everywhere on my three block walk home
Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bim! It was only 2:21! Sometimes I don't last all the way through longer things...
Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Gilmer, thanks! I'll listen to it later because I'm sitting where I can't play sound. Thanks for the cliff notes. Six nights of sin and one of repentance. Ah, sounds all too familiar.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I'm with you girls about lasting through long you tube posts. That's something I keep in mind if I post music. It's all so subjective.

Poor Bim. That had to have been scary as a kid. So absolutely shocking. Then to have to relive it via TV.

We're reliving the Blackhawks third championship in six years. People are still wandering home after the celebratory debauch last night. Not me. I listened to the people setting off fireworks last night. Honking horns. Then bed.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Bimini....for some reason I thought you were in your twenties!!

Yesterday I didn't give my debit card a second thought....today I'm paranoid to use it and I've gotta go to walgreens and pick up prints!! Thanks y'all!

I'm having a craving for fast food French fries and maybe onion rings which naturally leads to a chocolate malt. The last time I had fast food was last December! Think I'll go for it and use my debit card to pay.....I'm feeling reckless today!!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh, I was going to post Rained Werner Fassbinders Berlin Alexanderplatz from 1980

Is 931 minutes a bit too long then?

I always have to supress my sarcasm at customs and immigration controls viz a viz drugs or weaponry. Considering that I used to drink on planes I am quite surprised I didn't say anything that got my ass busted (literally, I suppose)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Rainer! It's Rainer! Why does my phone think it knows best all the time?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Ok... guys, I need your suggestions. I'm talking to the guys (or ladies) who like to DIY and don't like to let go of something (and you know who you are!) so a professional can fix it, lol. My husband is really dragging out this vehicle repair deal. He wants to FIX IT HIMSELF yet he doesn't have all the tools, the computer thingy, or all the knowledge of a professional... help me please!! I need to be able to say the right things not to p*@# him off and to get him to let go of this. He is holding on tight and trying to learn how to fix oxygen sensor issues and exhaust leaks, etc. Stuff he has no business touching basically.

What can I say to finesse him into giving it up and taking it into the shop?

So far I've managed only to get yelled at. I'll admit, I'm not the best at beating around the bush. I'm pretty direct.

Apparently, it's some sort of ego thing for him? And I am the type who knows exactly what she knows and where her knowledge ends. Know what I mean?