Notices

You have the Power Sober Weekender Thread June 11....

Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

"you touch that oxygen sensor and we are done"

Or is that too subtle?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Just one more question...I promise. ..brain, you said only leave enough in the account that you can afford to lose. Like $500. Are you talking about just the checking account or the attached savings account also? Can they get to the attached savings account through the debit card?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Lmao, AF
Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Btw...I survived a horrendous dental appointment this morning. Having a bridge made. It was very unpleasant. For me, it's anxiety associated with the anticipation of terrible pain, which of course never comes. I had to come home and go back to sleep since I was exhausted from the stress. Hopefully the novacaine will wear off sometime today. I wrote a check instead of using my debit card!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Just one more question...I promise. ..brain, you said only leave enough in the account that you can afford to lose. Like $500. Are you talking about just the checking account or the attached savings account also? Can they get to the attached savings account through the debit card?
Well, you can do transfers at most ATMs. You can also withdraw from savings at ATMs. I think there is a $300 per day withdrawal limit on my accounts, but I don't check them every day. Tis scary. I set all my alerts to $50. Don't know if that will help. I'm thinking of going to Mesa's method.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
It was very unpleasant. For me, it's anxiety associated with the anticipation of terrible pain, which of course never comes.
That's understandable, Happyandfree. The anticipation alone is enough to wipe you out, isn't it?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

How many people were murdered in your house?

How many did themselves in?

How many people were held captive and tortured in your basement?
6 months to a year______
1 year or longer _______

I'll take the meth lab any day over that...

My last eye doc would put in the remedy drops so you weren't blinded by the light when you went outside after the exam... not this guy - I walked out into the day light and it felt like a million candle power spot light was put in my face. I scampered back inside and found the plastic shades to put inside my other sunglasses so I could drive. Not a friendly place at all. Big numbers kind of assembly line service. Hated it! But fer sher I need thicker glasses.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

As for the travel account - set up a NEW account or even go to a different back (preferred) - open up an account and get the debit card, then close the account when you get back from your trip.
Or one of the other fine suggestions. But in a foreign country using an atm card, when they have the code and you are out of contact with the real world, it's the way to go.

Soberpot--- I was thinking about this earlier, I long for the days before catalytic converters, fuel injection and oxygen sensors,

Give me an internal combustion engine with spark plugs, points and condenser, rotor, and timing lite - heck a good mechanic can adjust the timing without the strobe...

When the equipment needed to fix a car cost as much as the car, it's time to let someone who bought said equipment for that purpose to fix the car.
Tell him you'll let him fix the brakes himself next time they need it and leave the fancy stuff to the pros or you'll send him a postcard from your next vacation trip - cause he ain't going. Trying to fix something like that without the expensive equipment is like playing the lottery.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

I pretty much told him he's just guessing at things and going in blind, because he doesn't have any way of testing things. I said... do you wanna just buy parts, put them in, and hope it fixes things? Cause that's what you'll have to do. He said... well I don't wanna pay X dollars for labor when I can buy the part and install it myself. Ugh. Just ugh. I'm shaking my head.

He think he's can get this done by watching Scotty Kilmer YouTube vids, lol.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

I'm blind, I'm blind! Is all I can imagine you saying Brain. I hate that.

HaF, hugs. I always feel yucky after dental appointments. Not nauseous. Not pain. Just yuck. Feel better.

Saoutchik, many years ago I drove my fathers pickup truck to Tucson, Arizona to move my brother's belongings back to Chicago. We had a mound of stuff piled in the back bed, covered with a tarp. Now, in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas Border Patrol agents will stop you. Frequently. On one such stop I was asked what I had in back and I had to bite my tongue before I said that there were a few illegal immigrants wedged between a couple bales of marijuana. The guy didn't look like he had a sense of humor. Note to travellers. I've been to Arizona about 4 times and have been stopped each time. Out of state plates? Don't know.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Oh, soberpotamus, I forgot. I just tell Mr. Ruby to have at it and try to be super helpful. Never fails. Tow truck called, problem solved. And Mr. Ruby actually does know fundamental car repair, like brakes, oil changes but because he usually is wanting to drink and gets frustrated, he never finishes. Of course, it's my fault that he can't work in the junky garage. Because the truck that went to Arizona on above trip is in there, not running. Has nothing to do with attempting repairs after dark with no lighting. And hungover
Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Ruby, could it be that hat you're wearing?

Everyone gets stopped entering california from the southwest - everyone.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Ruby, my husband knows lots of basics, I gather. He seems fairly knowledgeable. But the problem is it takes FOREVER for him to complete something. FOREVER. Unfortunately, this p1131 trouble code is a bit over his head I think. There are six possible "causes" according to the printout, and they are pretty involved/significant.

I will try the "ok, have at it" approach tonight and see what happens. I've let him go at it for a week now. Getting tired, lol.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Do you absolutely need the mobile right now? Maybe give him a deadline for expected completion and tell him if it's not done by X date, you're calling a tow.

Brain, I guess I do look like I'm up to no good in that hat. Maybe a ski mask or hoody would work better?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Automobile, not mobile.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Last time I was in Arizona. ...got off the interstate where I had been driving 80 mph for hours. I received a photo of myself a couple of weeks later with a ticket, driving 60 in a 45mph. It was right where I had gotten off the expressway. They had it all set up to catch people with the camera. Dirty trick! The ticket was $350.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, you can do transfers at most ATMs. You can also withdraw from savings at ATMs. I think there is a $300 per day withdrawal limit on my accounts, but I don't check them every day. Tis scary. I set all my alerts to $50. Don't know if that will help. I'm thinking of going to Mesa's method.
Yeah, you're right..duh. so the savings account isn't safe either. Not sure how I will handle this situation. I guess I'll see what the bank says.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

This ATM stuff is nerve wracking. When I use my card at the bank machines, 7 accounts pop up. My main checking, a not so secret second account I set up after Mr. Ruby went nuts on my primary a few years ago, his checking, my parents checking and kids savings and mine. Eek! Just be sure to always know where you card is. My mom only uses hers to withdraw cash at the bank.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hippo....I've learned over the years not to argue when my guy thinks he can fix something. It usually doesn't take too long for him to figure out he can't. Saves a lot of arguing.

Sao...I got a chuckle out of the blurry optometrist sign! Nice one!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Just be sure to always know where you card is. My mom only uses hers to withdraw cash at the bank.
That's what I'm going to do...no more using it 5 times per day for every purchase. Just for cash at the bank.