Notices

Stay Sober This Weekend June 4th Until.....

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

I'm in. Day 11 and I need a lot of support. Thanks for this group.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 40, Angie!

"Home" in my cabana this evening. Listening to a baseball game and pondering some audiobooks to listen to at bedtime. Had another peaceful day, went to the black sand beach in town this afternoon for another swim. Perfect weather for fans of sand and seawater. Took a nap and woke up to the smell of the cafe next door roasting fresh coffee beans.

Casually mentioned to a friend here that I've considered relocating to this area (I work online and thus have flexibility) and it quickly escalated to her offering to show me a house tomorrow. I agreed to take a look, but I certainly won't pull the trigger. Not the right time. Regardless, I suppose it's good to know that she can help in the future, and it would be rude in this case to back out - after all, I'm on vacation, what else do I have to do but indulge my dreams?

I lived in this town here in Costa Rica for 3 months right after I got out of rehab in Chicago - many of my acquaintances in Chicago thought I was "running away" from a stressful situation but really I was just "running towards" a new life. I needed to know that change was possible and I'm glad I changed my scenery at that time. Now that I live in Guate it's an easy, quick, cheap vacation spot and I visit often. Perhaps it's best kept that way? Mex, you might have some useful feedback. I'm coming up on 1 year abroad, and it's just the beginning. A year ago at this time I was packing up to leave Chicago. Seems like a lifetime ago. Speaking of, I coming up on 3 years sober, next month. Tomorrow will be 2 years, 11 months, in fact!

In sobriety I've found it's best to make sure you aren't rushing yourself to meet others' expectations. Do what's right for YOU, and stop worrying about what others think or what you perceive others need. You made the decision to stop drinking and hit the "reset" button. It's a new game, you are in control, and you get to make the rules for how you live your life, as long as you are living sober and healthy.

No matter where you are in your sobriety this weekend, take it one day at a time. Every day you don't drink, your foundation for a better life gets stronger!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad you had fun tonight Lilly!

Angie, I love the shirt and Great job on your 40 days!
Xoxo
Old 06-05-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

BigS, really nice insight. Thank you for that. It's useful to me right now. Dithering about what I should do.

The path shall be made clear. Of that, I have faith.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MisterChill View Post
Had a random scary thought....in the last 19 days I've avoided putting 114 beers and and 1.5 gallons of 90 proof bourbon in my body. To say my body thanks me right now is a big understatement. Quantifying is scary. And scary is good for me at this early stage in my journey
Right on Mrchill. Right there with ya. It makes me sick to think of how much poison I was putting inside. Not anymore. I love trying to get as healthy as possible. The difference is amazing.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

City Hall. There is a garden on the roof for energy conservation purposes but you have to be super special to get up there. I've only seen it from afar.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girlie928 View Post
I'm in. Day 11 and I need a lot of support. Thanks for this group.
Welcome Girlie - Congrats on 11 days, that's fantastic! Weekends can be tough and many of us gather here on this thread to share our challenges, offer solutions, and just chit-chat about all kinds of "guano". What's up with you this weekend?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Nice job Angie
Well just getting back from dinner. I had a really fun time. I'm pretty reserved and mild mannered (when sober). The friend I went out to dinner with is kinda on the loud side. She 's the friend that whispers about the person in front of you but loud enough for the entire restaurant to hear. It's more funny than anything. I love her. I had a lot of good laughs.
Lilly you friend sounds like my dad. The guy doesn't drink anymore but you wouldn't know it by some of the embarrassing things he says out loud. It is funny though.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Big, I am currently listening to the audiobook 'All the Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr.
It is very, very good.

Love the picture Ruby!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Welcome Girlie

Ruby- I've heard of those roofs but I've never seen one. They hold in heat or do they act as a cooling mechanism? I remember watching something on tv about it. Neat though

Getting smarter- haha she doesn't drink either. I think she really doesn't think people can hear her. You can't help but laugh.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Thanks! However, I am not there just quite yet. Next Saturday I will be at 60, God-willing
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hi Weasel, I am here too.:-)
Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Power outage around noon today caused me to somehow lose internet connection, and turns out, after some calls to the service provider, that the modem will need to be replaced.

Lost several hours of productivity and missed an important deadline today. I was pretty outraged.

Tomorrow my husband is going to handle the modem exchange. I just can't. I am so angry.

I am holding my breath until Monday to smooth things over. I don't want to lose this particular project.

The SUV won't be seen until the owner returns on Tuesday. A big let down there too. But that can certainly wait.

So down and disappointed in the end to my week.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

And I ate some peach ice-cream after all hell broke loose. Better than drinking. I will have my brain on straight in the morning.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey girlie keep on
Angie that great woo ! steady as you go , great t-shirt idea
chick keep on
shoester you too

Ruby , you're in just the right place for you , putting yourself under undue pressure to do that resume doesn't sound right , like you say there are jobs happening all the time and the right one will present itself , I'd want to know why this area has such a high turnover of staff before i went back y'know .

Big S , my experience was that Sept 11th happened , my ex partner who i still liked but couldn't live with hung himself , my house had equity worth £50,000 and life was getting in the way of my drinking problem . I had a nice house, a new car, a good job and was thoroughly miserable .

I sold the house and moved to france , i stayed there and didn't work .. i learned the language .
As time went on there i had free reign to indulge my drinking , by the time the money ran out i was unemployable and i'd procrastinated myself into a bad position . I'd gave my uncle £5000 of gold to look after and he misplaced it so rather than an organised leaving like i planned i did a runner back to mums place … My whole plan had fallen in by then and i really was bad then , thats when i had the blackout that lasted for about 4 days . After a year i'd got myself together enough to dry out a bit and get a job, 5 years later i quit the booze .

I think
(a) your sober
(b) you've got an income stream
( c) you live in a place you enjoy
(d) you interact with local people

I believe as long as you are being prudent , you have food , shelter , clean water , have adequate medical insurance , invest some money for a pension and maybe plan for financial freedom one day then you've got what anyone in this world could reasonably ask for and a lot more than most of the worlds population .

A lot of people in this life seek validation and approval for the choices they made , they have the sneaky suspicion that somewhere someone has made better choices and is having a better time . Maybe that person is you ? treat them gently ..

In all honesty, for me , we'll all be dead soon anyhow so all of it is the dancing of a bright, glorious and living flame on the edge of an eternal night , i have the gift of being able to enjoy life, for most people in history and now it's a hard graft and struggle .

What i think ? Let's just try not to hurt too many people despite themselves and ourselves , be happy, do things that are glorious and wonderful and support those doing things that are glorious and wonderful .

Thats what i recon BigS

m
Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

R . Lienkiewicz wasnt the artist i was talking about earlier BTW that was Stuart Armfield ,

coffee time
Old 06-06-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Thanks Mec, you are right. And I have things that need to be ironed out. I'm not fully comfortable in sobriety at the moment. at the moment I'm trying to be grateful and I'm having a hard time mustering energy for that.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Lily, I think that roof helps with both heating and cooling.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

City of Chicago :: City Hall's Rooftop Garden. apparently just helps bill wise with cooling.

Soberpotamus, I hope you have a better Saturday. It's so frustrating when the internet we rely on, the machines that control our lives, stop working. You'll get through it.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Wow Ruby you're up early / late , i think the closest bit of the USA is 5 hours ago .

Not even weasel is up yet and he is the USA's early bird in that gym of his