Notices

Happiness after alcohol

Old 06-07-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happiness after alcohol

I'm two days sober now following a bad car accident that left me banged up and my car totaled. The gist of the story is that my friend and I were driving drunk when we began arguing about something stupid which I can't quite recall. In the heat of the argument my friend lost control of the car and we rolled into a rock outcrop on the side of a highway.

The accident caused me to reevaluate my behavior and realize that alcohol has been at the center of most of the negative experiences in my life, from being thrown in jail and sexually assaulted to relationships lost. Within the last couple months alone, some of my negative experiences involving alcohol included waking up on the side of the road in a bad neighborhood with my purse and all of its belongings stolen (this happened while I was visiting CA for an academic conference) and passing out at a family member's wedding with virtually no memory of this momentous occasion.

The problem is, even after recognizing the detrimental role that alcohol has played in my life, I still can't fathom how to cope with the struggles and successes of every day life without alcohol and can't imagine how to find happiness and fun without a drink in my hand. Is anybody here in a similar circumstance and can anyone who has felt this way offer advise or support?
Old 06-07-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I got sober, I had no idea how to live without drinking. I had to take it an hour, a minute, a day at a time and learn to rebuild my life sober. It took some hard work, but after over five years, I don't regret a minute of it and wish I'd gotten sober sooner.

Do you have any support for getting sober? There's lots of support here.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR youngerdryas.

I'm not sure what the solution yet is either, as I haven't gotten to that point yet. However, I do know far more (and more serious) problems await at the bottom of a bottle, versus the problems we'll encounter learning how to live a sober life.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 06-07-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of people have felt the way as you, it's not unusual.

Six years after I became sober I still feel the same way sometimes.

What helped me at first is to realize you don't need to solve all your problems at once, that you don't need to tackle giving up forever all you need today is not to drink today, plus I whined a lot.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There are so many great people here to help you.

Alcohol lost appeal for me as anything remotely celebratory. But the alcoholic mindset does try to convince us that booze is a "friend." It's not. And in reading your post, I'm struck by how some truly awful things have happened to you because of drinking.

It doesn't have to be that way. Choose sobriety. You'll never regret it.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your drunken stories are too familiar and now that summer is coming I am also afraid of not enjoying life without a drink but at least I won't be hiding behind the drink anymore. At least my life won't be in jeopardy any longer. I can build relationships instead of destroy them. I wish you strength!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd say quit while you are ahead....I'm glad you are ok after the accident. You will find many of us are happier now that we've given up booze. At first it seems impossible, but if you can stick with it you will find that life gets better and better.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My personal experience with sobriety (6wks) so far....

Most of life's issues and problems were actually created by or at least amplified by alcohol. My life would be soooo much better right now if I didn't let drinking get out of control.

I can say this. My first week I felt the same way you did. My 2nd week I broke free and had several great moments and was extremely thankful to be free from the grips of alcoholism. From there, each week keeps getting better and better.

It's also worth noting that I am seeing a counselor. That has helped tremendously.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
When I got sober, I had no idea how to live without drinking. I had to take it an hour, a minute, a day at a time and learn to rebuild my life sober. It took some hard work, but after over five years, I don't regret a minute of it and wish I'd gotten sober sooner.

Do you have any support for getting sober? There's lots of support here.
This. None of us knew how to live sober. It starts with putting down the drink and starting to face it one day at a time. It can be dark, confusing and even overwhelming at the start; but it gets better over time and the benefits of sobriety make it all worthwhile.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"how to find happiness and fun without a drink in my hand"....sexually assaulted, crashing into rocks and waking up on the side of the road after being robbed. Hmmm, your idea of having fun with a drink in your hand is different than most.
In all seriousness, take it one small step at a time. you are here so its clear you have concerns. Rome wasn't built in a day right? Wishing you the best.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you younger - I'm sorry for the painful experience you had.

At your age I couldn't imagine not drinking - so I didn't stop. Despite knowing I never drank like a normal person, I just couldn't let go of it. As a result my life fell apart - and I found myself completely dependent on it as a much older person. There is an adjustment period, and it does feel strange to be without it in the beginning - but nothing beats being free of it. You can do this.